Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the most luxurious hotel in San Diego?

Oct 24th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Tom

The question is as above.
Many thanks, Tom.

Oct 24th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jim

In San Diego proper there are no true luxury hotels, if you mean places on par with a Ritz Carlton.
The Del Coronado has dramatic public areas but rooms are not better than 6 on a scale of 10.
On Coronado Island there are a couple nice places, the Loews and Marriott.

Oct 24th, 2002, 09:53 AM
xxx

I think the Gas Light district has some nice places. Old, but quaint, the U.S. Grant, or the Horton Plaza Inn. It is said to be "haunted" as well. Maybe not luxurious, but certainly interesting.

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Dan

The Hyatt at Seaport Village is quite nice.

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Kim

Tom: A couple of years ago I stayed at the Le Meridian Hotel on Coronado and found it to be extremely nice and also the rooms were very spacious as well. It sits on the water, too. Also, a great place for dinner on Coronado is Peohe's. I thought the atmosphere and food were excellent.

Oct 24th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Barbara

The Westgate Hotel, which is downtown, or Rancho Valencia.

Oct 24th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Ken

Rancho Bernardo Inn is a golf resort w/ nice restaurants. Not exactly convenient to downtown or the beaches though. About 30min to each, it's inland off the 15.

Oct 24th, 2002, 02:16 PM
sd

Four Seasons Aviarra in Carlsbad. Nice golf course but right in the middle of a suburban neighborhoood. About two miles+ to beach.

Oct 24th, 2002, 03:55 PM
xx

Hotel Parisi and La Valencia Hotel in Downtown La Jolla have both been mentioned in Conde Nast Magazine for having great rooms and drawing famous people. Another place is the Lodge at Torrey Pines, also in La Jolla, where the architecture is suppose to be that of an old craftsman type home. Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad is nice, also. I've also heard that the La Costa Resort and Spa is undergoing a major renovation and I'm sure it will be nice when finished.

Oct 24th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Jessie

I don't think I've ever read that La Valencia in La Jolla has 'great rooms'...mostly because it doesn't.
It is respected for its history (stars from 50 years ago used to stay there), and it's in a great location.

The hotel is way past its prime.
The rooms are tiny, the bathrooms are a joke, and it needs a lot of updating.

It is not luxurious by current standards.

In 1940 it was top notch.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
recker

Jessie, You obviously have not seen the new La V suite/bungalows built out about two years ago. The rooms are fabulous. The lobby and rest of the hotel feels a little old but very quaint still.

Oct 25th, 2002, 06:46 AM
formersdgirl

La Valencia in La Jolla is a perfect romantic old world charm hotel. This hotel has had famous people from all over stay there. It has been done over, and it is a charming place. Not like the Westgate, but still a different type of charm.