San Diego March Convention trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to San Diego for a week in March. We are using our Hilton points to stay at the Hilton in the Gaslamp Quarter. Hopefully that's a good place to stay? (Tripadvisor reviews were decent.)

We're attending a convention at the Hyatt but we don't want to stay in the same place as the convention. Hopefully the Hilton is walking distance to the Hyatt?

Planning a trip to the zoo, a dinner on the USS Midway, and a whale watching expedition trip.

Any recommendations from you all? Restaurants you like? Great places to shop? Unusual or fun things to do?

I'm interested in any advice, but we particularly like to eat at restaurants with great service and a fun/cool atmosphere. Hip nightlife spots are okay, though we are not the hard-partying type. (Live music is good.) I might like to visit a nice spa, or shop for local art or anything indicative of local culture.

Suggestions appreciated!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
TahitiTams

Hi..
Hilton Gaslamp is perfect location and across the street and over to the Hyatt..
Gaslamp area has wonderful restaurants and bars..Chive is awesome..Taka for Sushi and Lou & Mickeys for steak..
you can take the water taxi to Coronado for dinner and drinks.
Hotel Del Coronado is stunning.
Go to Little Italy which is uptown and a great place to eat and drink as well..
The Waterfront for drinks..dive/classic
Have fun!
www.gaslamp.org
www.sdhe.com
www.littleitalysd.com
www.hoteldel.com

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 06:24 AM
GoTravel

I would give the Hyatt another look as it is amazing.

Even though it is a downtown city hotel, it feels like a resort.

The views from the hotel rooms of the bay, the Pacific and downtown San Diego are AMAZING!

It is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at and I've spent a lot of time in hotels.

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I love San Diego (and am still entertaining the idea of moving there in a few years). In the Gaslamp, Dobson's is a superb restaurant with a very cozy room, warm staff and excellent food. Croce's is a short jaunt away and they have live music (it's run by Jim Croce's widow Ingrid).

I assume you'll take a spin up to gorgeous La Jolla. Hunt down the Torrey Pines Gliderport (above Blacks Beach) and watch the hang gliders. Take in the shops on Prospect in the Village, enjoy the lovely views of the Pacific and the little beach coves, then have dinner and a beautiful sunset at George's at the Cove. Alternatively, there is some outstanding fine dining at Nine Ten, the restaurant at the charming Grande Colonial Hotel (one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in).

Old Town is not as much fun as it used to be, but take an hour to visit the Whaley House (government-certified haunted house). Shops in the area sell Native American, Mexican and Western memorabilia.

Walk in the Hillcrest, the funky college/gay section of town; as you'd expect, lots of cool bookstores, high-end furniture shops and consignment stores as well as affordable eats.

Balboa Park is a lovely place to spend a day, going to the Zoo or not. There are great museums there. Someone's always selling stuff out in the public areas (trinkets, soulcatchers, etc.).

One of these days I'll set aside a week to play in San Diego. I'm jealous. Enjoy!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:20 AM
TahitiTams

rjw is right about Dobson's..OMG..the best Mussel Bisque in a Puff Pastry and do take the sherry that is offered with it...yummy..
Croce's is outstanding too..
GoTravel is right about the Hyatt..it is a gorgeous, wonderful hotel/resort!

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for these great suggestions -- they are exactly what I needed.

We'll still stay in the Hilton since we can use our points to stay free. But we will get plenty of time in the Hyatt from the convention and from evening parties in corporate suites.

Thanks for the tips. I am wondering if I can ever wait until March for this trip! If you think of anything else to pass along, do let me know!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
TahitiTams

Hi sanibella..
You are going to have a blast...I think whale watching is still going on in March and that is always something fun unless you get seasick.. check out the link for
www.sdhe.com
rjw..I have had several haunted experiences at the Whaley House..love that place and Old Town Mex Cafe across the street is yummy for Marg's.
Look forward to having you in SD soon!