San Diego: Gaslamp restaurants?

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

San Diego: Gaslamp restaurants?

I will be in San Diego next week for my conference. I am looking forward to it! The bulk of my time will be spent in the Gaslamp area. I am staying at the Solamar and will be busy at the Convention Center just about every day.

I am on a fairly tight budget but not super tight. I can afford a decent meal and drink. When I travel alone I usually just find a place with good food that I can eat at the bar. I also like to try eating anything that the region is famous for... such as eating cajun or creole food if I was in New Orleans. In general, I like seafood and also your general American fare. When I look for a place I usually ask two questions: 1) Is it food that I am really going to enjoy? 2) Is it a fun or interesting atmosphere that is worth paying a visit to?

So... any suggestions for the Gaslamp area? It can be from cheap to moderate, I would say. A friend already suggested that I must go to In-And-Out Burger but I am assuming I would need a car for that.... so I am open to anything!

As always, many thanks...
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I like Croce's. Owned by Jim Croce, the late singer's wife who is a renowned cook. Food is always creative and good. Prices are reasonable. Often she has jazz in the bar.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
TahitiTams

Love the Hotel Solamar and it's smack in the middle of the Gaslamp area..
Croce's is great and Ingrid works the door on the weekends and she is such a sweetie!
Fresh seafood and mexican dishes are what SD is known for and you must have a fish taco..
We have some of the best taco shops in the world and they are super cheap and super good!
Take a water taxi from Seaport Village over to Coronado and walk to the Hotel Del and have a fish taco at the Brigantine for seafood happy hour..the best in town!
Have fun Shandy!

gaslamp.org
brigantine.com
sdhe.com

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I've like Kansas City BBQ, and the price is in the tight budget category (IMO): http://www.kcbbq.net/
I haven't been there in a few years though.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Shandy--click on my username for a short trip report of San Diego in the gaslamp area. I was there for a conference a couple of weeks ago (stayed a couple blocks from the Solamar).

I agree about Croce's for the good meal. We went there and really liked it--good atmosphere.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM

We loved Croce's so another vote cast.

For traditional Italian -- Filippi's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy. It isn't in Gaslamp, but the food was really good and LOTS of it:

www.realcheesepizza.com/

Deb
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM

I noticed that there's a Moose McGillycuddy's in Gaslamp. I'm never been there, though familiar with the good and budget to moderate priced fare at their HI locations.
Tahiti Tams- have you ever been to the Gaslamp one?
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Cafe Sevilla on 4th. In and Out burgers are horrible. If you really want a fast food burger, go to Jack in the box and get a sirloin burger. You'll actually taste the meat.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM
TahitiTams

In and Out has great burgers and the double double with cheese and grilled onions is one of the best for under $3.00..
I guess that is why the line is out the door and wrapped around the building at the drive through, since 1940..

Hi trippin..sorry I did not see your post till now..
No, I have not been to Moose's in the Gaslamp..

Hope Shandy reports back!
Merry Merry..

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:53 AM

I also loved Filippi's. I was alone when I went there, so here's a tip: get an extra plate and eat off of that. 1 serving could probably feed 4 people, yet it's so cheap!! I boxed up my untouched leftovers and gave it to the guy at my hotel front desk. I mean, let them know your intention so they don't think you're being weird!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM
TahitiTams

Aloha Mel's..
Shouldn't you be in Vegas partying like a rock star?