Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anniversary Trip to San Diego WHOO HOO!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
We have finally decided on a destination for our one year anniversary-San Diego!
I am so excited. I'm on my way to Half Price books this afternoon to pick up a guide book.

I'm also researching previous threads for great ideas. However, I have never mastered the search function. I found a good thread started by hbo6 with some great suggestions.

If anyone comes across a thread they think would be useful please post me a link here or top it for me. I'll continue searching...

In the mean time, if anyone would like to post suggestions here please do so. We are in our early 30's and pretty active. We look for great food (cheap or inexpensive, doesn't matter as long as it's good), natural beauty, and cool or unusual things that are particular to a certain area or culture. He has asked about an amusement park...not my particular interest but hey, what you do for love! My one and only requirement is a visit to the zoo. We will have at least 3 and 1/2 days.

I think a Fodorite has a trip planned next week and I'll be looking for that trip report!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:43 AM

memejw - Congratulations on your upcoming 1st anniversary. When will you going to San Diego?

The search function on this forum doesn't always work that well. I put in just "San Diego" and some very strange things came up. I did put in "San Diego Sights"and the choice was a little better. Also you can search under "San Diego hotels" and this will help you select where to stay and you will probably get other info about the area.

I would definitely recommend going to La Jolla and wandering around. Have lunch at Brockton Villa-beautiful views. Go to Coronado-maybe have lunch at the Hotel Del. Balboa Park has musuems and of course the Zoo. Depending on what time of year you go there is always the beach. You mentioned your husband wanted amusement parks. You could always go to Sea World-I don't think I'd spend a whole day there if you only have 3 1/2 days but it's an option. It is pretty expensive to go just for a few hours.

There is so much info on San Diego on this forum. You could also try searching under "San Diego Trip Report" and see what comes up.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paula. I'll keep hunting.

And I can't believe that in that long post I didn't mention that we were planning for October!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM

memejw

www.sandiego.org is a wonderful site for all kinds of information. You can send for a free brochure.

Sandy
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:27 AM

The Zoo, Sea World and Wild Animal Park are the (3) "amusement parks" in SD.

Depending on what you're into and how much $$ you want to spend...La Jolla Cove is scenic, it's also a nice but pricey village to walk around and shop. Alfonso's Mexican Food in La Jolla is my favorite in SD.

If you're into artsy stuff, Hillcrest is getting nice again. The best pizza in SD is Bronx Pizza at 3rd & Washington in Hillcrest. Right down the road on Goldfinch is the best BBQ.

The Gaslamp area is the best place to party and "be seen". The restaurants are pricey and the bars are loud and crowded for the most part.

If I was trying to impress somebody visiting from out of town. I'd take them to the bar at the Hotel Del and have a few beverages. My favorite place top take visitors fron out of town is to the Beach House in Cardiff. Request a table on the patio and you're literally on top of the ocean as the waves are feet away, splashing on the rocks. Needless to say, sunset time is best.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:11 AM

We spent our honeymoon in SD and I attended SDSU for a bit! It's a gorgeous area to celebrate in. Five of our kids are in SD for a few days right now. We love the La Jolla area. Try to have a meal at George's at the Cove and have a great trip! ***kim***
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

ttt for more restaurant advice.

We don't drink. He hates barbecue and pizza. If anyone knows of an "authentic" asian restaurant in the area, I would LOVE to hear it. Great seafood restaurant suggestions would be fabulous also.

Again, price is not an object. Great food is the priority, cheap or expensive.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a substantial Asian population in San Diego and so we are lucky to have some great restaurants. Could you narrow "Asian" down a bit? Do you mean sushi, Thai, Japanese, Chinese...?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Another recommendation for breakfast is Parkhouse Eatery. www.parkhouseeatery.com

It gets very busy during the weekends so get there early. Their pumpkin and spice pancakes are delicious!

My favorite Italian restaurant is Arrivederci: http://www.arrivedercirestorante.com/

They have lunch and dinner hours and also gets very busy Fri-Sun starting around 7pm. Get there early or make reservations. I've tried just about everything on their menu and the food is fabulous. Our favorites are the cheese ravioli and the gnocchi.

Kemo Sabe serves asian food: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/cohnrestaurants/

You can check out the menu from this page.

Signonsandiego.com is the online newspaper but it has an entertainment section where you can find restaurants and things to do.
SDreader.com also has listings for movies and things to do.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Barbara,
Chinese or Vietnamese would be preferable.

mv rd,
Pumpkin & spice pancakes? Sounds incredible. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Don't forget Thee Bungalow in Ocean Beach for a moderately priced, great meal and well chosen inexpensive wine list (concentrate on the Pinont Gris and Pinot Noirs for less that $25.)
M
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Sorry, Pinot Gris.
M
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

ttt for Barbara
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM

For Chinese, Blue Ginger on 4th Avenue in the Gaslamp is very good. We have a fabulous Chinese place called Emerald Chinese Seafood restaurant, but unfortunately they had a big fire a couple of months ago and I don't think they've re-opened yet.

I'm no help at all with Vietnamese, sorry.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM

But, you're not coming till October, so Emerald may be open by then. It's on Convoy Street, at the corner of Aero Drive.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Kal

Congrats! on the anni!
Take a few sandwiches up to Cabrillo Natl. Monument at the tip of Pt. Loma and sit on the park bench and watch the world go by underneath you.

Hey ***kim**..I almost went to USC. :-"
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Hey all...

My DH and my anniversary is next month and we are going to San Diego next week and then to Ireland for two weeks in October. (Hey, its our 25th anniversary and we'll use any excuse for a trip.) Any suggestions for a very romantic seafood place? For one night, price is no problem. I'd like to suprise my DH with an excellent meal and an outstanding bottle of wine. Is Georges at the Cove what I'm looking for? Thanks for the help...
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Kal

........jersey....

speaking as the typical , wadda 'bout your hotel room? :-"

Room service and then a "Do not distrub" sign is a tremendous suprise, IMHO.

We men are pretty simple about our anniv. suprises.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Kal, Darlin'...

We're there for a week...

Can't keep the man tied up in the room the whole time. (He is gettin older, although, like a fine wine, getting better. But I digress.)

I want to show him off for one night. And tease him with whats for dessert later..

Hee hee hee
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Kal, down boy!

Jersey, George's is one of my favorites, but I don't think the downstairs is very romantic, especially at night when it's dark and you can't see the view.

My suggestions are The Star of the Sea Room on the Embarcadero and the Marine Room in La Jolla. I'd also look at the Sky Room in La Valencia Hotel. Most restaurants in San Diego offer seafood selections on their regular menu. The Star of the Sea is primarily seafood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -