Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where exactly in Chicago is Orange restaurant ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the address of "Orange", the great breakfast place in Chicago. I've read rave reviews here and on trip advisor and it is highly regarded in the Fodors travel guide but there seems to be disagreement about where it is, although the descriptions sound like it's all the same restaurant.

Someone on this board said it's in Lincoln Park. Trip advisor says 75 W Harrison St, and the Fodors guide book says 3231 N. Clark St. Can anyone pin the address down for me? Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM

There are two. The N. Clark address you have is the one in Lincoln Park. The Harrison Ave address is in the south loop area.

I've eaten at the Harrison Ave one. The menu is eclectic (and that's being nice). My meal (I don't remember now what I had) was OK, but the overall menu was a bit weird.

If you're looking for an adventurous breakfast, give it a try. It is popular. If you're looking for really good bacon and eggs, this isn't your place.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Plafield, with all due respect to the previous poster, there is a very good reason why the lines are out the door on weekends (a 1.5-2 hour wait is common) for the N. Clark location.

I have not been to the Orange on Harrison location, but understand from others that their experiences were great as well.

The menu items are imaginative and the food is excellent. Not the cheapest places on the block, though, but not the most expensive either.

If you wish to stick with something more mundane (by Orange's standards), you could always get the pancake flight, and the theme for it changes weekly. You get four different pancake selections based on the theme. For example, one week I had it and the theme was "Donuts!". The four for this theme was: strawberry jelly, chocolate with sprinkles, powdered sugar and custard-filled, as I recall.

I do hope you try Orange!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM

P.S. The N. Clark Street location is in Lakeview, not in Lincoln Park. Lincoln Park's northern boundary is Diversey.

If you wish to go to the N. Clark Street location, it is extremely simple. Just take the Red Line to the Belmont station. It's right around the corner, north on Clark.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM

exiledprincess - I'm with you there. I've eaten at the Orange on Clark St. and loved their eclectic offerings. I always mean to get back over there for another taste but haven't gotten around to it in in a year or so.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Sorry - didn't mean to disparage the restaurant. It just didn't suit my tastes a whole lot. It wasn't anything bad, but I just didn't love the menu options. I guess partly I went into it thinking the pancake flight sounded fun based on some of the ones I'd seen mentioned online, but when we were there it was a "kids' cereal" thing with varieties like froot loops or cocoa pebbles or something like that - very unappealing!

It is certainly popular, so clearly my opinion isn't shared by most, but I can't be the only one who doesn't love it.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It definitely sounds like our kind of place and we will try it. Anyone know the best way to go from there to the Lincoln Park zoo?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Yep...

Just walk East toward Lake Michigan and just before your feet get wet, you are at the Zoo.

OK...you may need to go a couple of blocks South....
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Walk south on Clark about a mile until you reach Fullerton. Turn left and walk three blocks towaeds the conservatoty. The north entrance is on the far side of the conservatory.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Plafield, here is my suggestion which I've found in my many years in this neighborhood.

First, take the #77 Belmont EB bus to the Diversey and Lake Shore Drive stop.(This will save your feet for the important walking later.) If you wanted to take some photos at the Diversey Harbor (on the north sidewalk), this is a great opportunity to do so.

Then walk west to the 5-way intersection of Diversey, Sheridan (which becomes Lakeview just to the south) and Stockton. If you are wondering if you've got the right intersection, just look to the immediate south - there is a golden statue of Alexander Hamilton there.

You will see the Elks National Veterans Memorial at this intersection (large grey building with a dome and statues of elks flanking the entrance walk). That is a wonderful side stop for you along the way. Entrance is free to the public.

Then if you do not want to go into the Elks Memorial or after you are through, what you want to do is walk south on Lakeview to the first intersection (with a stop sign all directions). You will turn left and cross the street there (this is a split street with a bus stop in between them) - cross the street again. Be careful on this second crossing - cross traffic doesn't stop.

There is a sidewalk which then travels south. About 1/2 block to the south, you will see a little playlot with a walk which goes to the left just after it. Take that walk and you will be at North Pond (a restaurant). Stop and enjoy the view of the skyline south over the lagoon there - another great photo op!

Then continue on that path east and it will curve south. Take that same path south. (There are several side paths closer to the lagoon along that main path and I urge you to take those paths less traveled - you never know what surprises you have in store!)

This path comes out at Fullerton with the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum to your immediate left. You then merely need to cross Fullerton southbound at the light and you are at the Lincoln Park Conservatory and the north entrance to the Lincoln Park Zoo. The main entrance is further south a little more than a block.

While you are there, take another little side trip across Stockton to the gardens immediately to the west. Grandma's Garden is a lovely little spot to rest.

Have fun with breakfast at Orange and the Zoo!