Accommodations for my18 year old daughter in New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My college age daughter is scheduled to fly into New York on Aug 7th and will be there until Aug 15th. Our friend that was supposed to be her host “Place to stay and Guide” has declined due to health reasons. So I am stumped as to how to do this she knows no one but has a desire to continue with the New York visit. I am looking for suggestions on what to do? She will want to see a play as she is studding to be an actress. thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Nine nights in NYC in August and no place to stay? Wow.

Many many options -- what's your budget for the 9 nights?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM

There used to be a lot of residential hotels in NYC oriented to single women who needed or wanted a relatively sheltered envinpronment. Alas, the Barbizon and its ilk are no more; the Webster might be the last of the lot, preserved by its endowment. Although they are not geared to short-term stays, you might try contacting them for support or suggestions.

http://www.websterapartments.org/about.htm
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM

NYU sometimes has rooms they let non students rent during summer. Hostels there too.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
GoTravel

You are going to have a very hard time finding a hotel that will let an 18 year old check in.

I suggest going the college dorm or hostel route.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM

I'd agree w/ Go- but what do mean by "college age"? 17-25
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
GoTravel

mooslywild, in the heading joerice states that the daughter is 18 years old.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM

sorry, what I meant to post- joerice, what do you mean by college age? Go's guesstimate of 18 is probably a good one, because she's not independent, but the phrase could mean in an age range from 17-25 yrs old.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Ooooh, now I feel dumb. <bangs head against wall> Sorry!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Most of the hotels in NYC will only accept someone 21 and will require a credit card.

I would suggest the youth Hostel on Amsterdam Ave there she would meet lots of kids her age. To be honest, I don't think I would suggest she come to the city alone, she might think about coming with a friend.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Once we told our daughter “Mallory” our friend was not going to be there, she was scared to be alone, "that may be smart" Now it looks like I (her father) will be traveling to New York to be with her. It is important to us to get her to Broadway to see the shows etc. I am still open to a reasonable place to stay. Is there anyplace that would be safe for a county father daughter? I am shooting for less than $100 a night. Thanks for all your help. Thanks Anonymous that looks great for Women-girls. Mallory is 18.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Three people, less than $100 per night? I'm not sure that's possible in Manhattan. Try Priceline.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM

You will not find anyplace for $100 per night.

I strongly recommend that you do a search of the board for recent posts about hotels in NYC. You might be able to get by for $100 if you stay in New Jersey -- there are places in Jersey City and Secaucus that have access to subways (PATH from NJ) and express buses or trains into midtown.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Gekko, I believe they want accommodations for two, but since it's dad and daughter it's probably not a good idea to go with Priceline, sinec they won't bid for two beds.

Radio City Apartments and Murray Hill Suites come to mind, but their rates have probably risen since the last time I used them.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:10 PM
GoTravel

While the Jersey City idea used to be okay, the Hyatt and Doubletree are now getting to be cost prohibitive for this to be a viable inexpensive lodging alternative.

With the Hyatt and Doubletree charging over $150 per night, you are better off staying in Manhattan.

Also, for first timers it is a bit of a letdown.

Forget $100 per night and shoot for under $200 per night. That is a much more reasonable option.

Try the Applecore Hotel Group.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM
GoTravel

The Hyatt Jersey City has no rooms for that weekend and the mid week rate starts at $344 per night. The Doubletree's rates start at $260 for midweek.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Herald Square Hotel in mid-town has "Standard Room" for $99 a night on your dates. However, it's one bed (probably full size, not queen). If you decide not to go yourself, contact the hotel to see if there's a way for your daughter to check-in by herself.

It's a clean and safe budget hotel. Rooms are small, but probably the best she can get for $99.

www.heraldsquarehotel.com

[2 beds will cost $191.50/night.]
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Perhaps I'm reading too much between the lines, but this trip has "disaster" written all over it.

Have you considered a postponing until circumstances or budget allow a more appropriate opportunity?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM

You may want to check out www.craigslist.com. On that site, go to New York and then click on New York City. On that screen, there is an option for sublet/temporary. You may be able to secure a room/sublet for the days your husband and daughter are in NYC.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Gekko - reading joerice's posts gave me the same feeling you're expressing- downright scary. Joerice, are you just pulling our legs? If not, oh....I don't know how to express my thoughts in a polite way right now....I don't know whether to laugh my behind off or just throw my laptop across the room due to my astonishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -