Chicago restaurants w/ teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Chicago for a wknd in Dec to see Wicked. Staying at Crowne Plaza Silversmith. Would like some recommendations for:
- breakfast near hotel
-lunch - deep dish pizza?
-dinner near theatre (Ford Center)
Nothing outrageously expensive for dinner and if we do pizza for lunch we won't want Italian for dinner. No Chinese or Vietnamese. Would like interesting part of town/decor - no chains!
Thanks for your help...
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 06:10 AM
JJ5

There are so many!

Try www.metromix.com and plug in your hotel's address. At least that way you have a place to start to see distances.
Then if you put 4 or 5 possibles up for rec's here, you will get more meaningful answers, IMHO.

There are several threads on this board concerning deep dish and it is highly contested. Plug in pizza Chicago and you'll get some of those threads in a search. I like the orginal Uno/Duo's, Lou M.'s and Giordano's.

Teens and yourself might like Ditka's and that's not too far from you, I don't think. I'd go to that one for a dinner OR a lunch.

Near the Oriental (Ford Theatre) I have gone to many choices. Atwood Cafe is good and a block walk at the most.
312 Chicago is fine and the same. Trattoria #10 is great and just as close.

There is an excellent one in the Goodman Complex just around the corner too- it's called Petrosino and it is eclectic, not base Italian at all.

Actually for teens I think that the last one would be ideal- as it's more hip/ young, IMHO. Don't go to the Italian Village or Berghoff's, they are not special and old people places. LOL! I bet you'll have to hit the ESPN zone, if you have teen boys.

Steak, pizza and all this is extremely subjective. Most of my price ranges above are mid-level. But you will need reservations.

Have a great time, I've been twice and it knocked my socks off.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Ada's Deli (next to hotel)

Lou Malnati's pizza (River North - 500 N. Wells Street)

Rick Bayless, one of the best chefs around, just opened a convenience version of his signature Mexican cooking. It's on the 7th floor of Marshall Fields'(State and Washington)

Park Grille in Millennium Park has a great view, good food, and is close to your hotel.

My kids like Wishbone, a short cab ride west, very reasonable prices and casual.

Greektown is also a short ride away; most prices are reasonable and the food is appealing to teens.

Information and reviews can be found at
www.metromix.com
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Ok - here are some of the places I had read or was thinking about - let me know what you think
Trattoria #10 - too expensive?
Heaven on 7
Trattoria Caterina
Vivere
Rosebud
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:52 AM
JJ5

Heaven on 7- food underwhelming.

Trattoria #10- It's mid-range for me. It's about $25 per person with drink for a very good meal. Salads and everything extremely fresh. It's a la carte- not like so many other Italian venues in Chicago where soup/salad are given with the entree/ or items can be ordered family style.

I love it, as it is quieter, elegant, BELOW ground, more private yet very friendly. It's not typically Chicago, but, IMHO, perfect for a great lunch or afternoon meal before a show. They serve you little appetizers all around as 1st plate. Certainly you could get much cheaper near to this location, but the quality of the food is excellent.

I'm not a fan of Rosebud. Italian is so subjective. I like the Francesca's immensely. High end Northern Italian
food with mid range prices.

If you are going to Greektown, Greek Islands is the best by rating and also all my frequent "goers" favorite, except for one. That is well worth the trip and interesting-and very Chicago area location. Short cab ride.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

It will be a stretch to get the girls into anything more than slacks and a sweater so I don't know if the "elegant" place would be too good for us all on a cold Chicago nite. Keep the suggestions coming...
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM
JJ5

Oh no, not in the "dressing" sense. I'm not a dress up person at all. Slacks, sweater are absolutely fine. I mean in the elegant, old country Italian warm walls and formal statuary sense.

And I didn't know you had girls. Then it would be absolutely perfect. The men never like it as much, IMHO. Portions are decent size and just perfect for the more common young women's choices.

Butternut squash ravioli are terrific. And the specialty of the day is always over the top great.

leahinsc, you won't go wrong at Trattoria #10 or feel at all underdressed. And it's not more than a block from Wicked.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I like the food at Heaven on Seven and I think teens will like the Mardi Gras atmosphere. Purists insist that the original Wabash St. location (near Marshall Field's on State) is better than the one on Rush/Michigan (Mag Mile) but I've had enjoyable meals at both. The one on Wabash has limited hours and I think they only take cash.

I ate at Trattoria #10 many years ago and I wasn't impressed and it didn't seem like a place to take teens. But that was a lot of years ago and things may have changed.....

Rosebud is one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago, I prefer the location on Taylor in Little Italy but the one on Rush is the same type of food as is Carmine's which is owned by the same people. Rosebud is more red sauces, you might have a look at the menus to see which Italian place has the food you want.

Greek Islands, finally something JJ5 and I agree on! Great food and just a short cab ride if you wanted to do it on the same night as Wicked.

Deep dish pizza-Lou Malnati's is my favorite
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

ok - starting to narrow things down a bit. Looks like we might go for the pre-theatre menu at Trattoria #10 on Saturday and do pizza at Lou Malnati's or Pizzaria Uno. Friday nite - we'll be getting in around 4pm and if all goes well will expect to get to the hotel around 5 pm-6pm...
here are some thoughts/options:
My Thai, Rumba, Taza ....any feedback?