coming to Chicago Charger-Bears game- help with restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked all the recommendations for restaurants. Will be there for four nights. Would like to get favorite restaurants for Burgers, salads, steak and Italian food from locals. Also sports bars with good food where Bear fans hang out. Thanks to all.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Help- sending this to the top hoping for some local input.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:07 AM

I'm assuming you're a bears fan since many of these are local fan hangouts - Harry Caray's (italian), Ditka's (steaks), Carmine's (italian and salads), plenty of spots for burgers around Rush and Division or on Michigan Ave. caray's or Ditka's will have plenty of sports bar ambiance as well as nicer dining.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I tried to top this one for you but you couldn't post anymore to it

Pizza, Steak, Italian, Burgers
Author: pjmystic
Date: 06/16/2003, 11:01 am
Message: Okay, I know this question has been asked a million times here but looking for suggestions. Will be in Chicago June 26-29th and want to get some of the best from these 4 types of food. We're staying at Sheraton Towers near Magnificent Mile but restaurants don't necessarily have to be all that close to there. Here's what we've heard as being some of the best:
Pizza - leaning on Giordanos or Uno Others?
Steak - Wildfire, Mortons, Gibsons, Chop House Others?
Italian - Vivo Others??
Burgers - haven't seen much here yet.
Thanks in advance. Just curious if our choices are bad or if you can recommend others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Owen_ONeill
Date: 06/16/2003, 11:06 am
Message: I had dinner last year at the Rosebud restaurant downtown (not far from the Water Tower if I recall correctly).. It was Italian and I was pleasantly surprised at the food quality - best Bolognese sauce I've ever had, the fried calamari appetizer was spot on and huge (enough for 3 or 4 people to share) and service was exceptional.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Kasmir
Date: 06/16/2003, 11:31 am
The last time we were in Chicago, we were really disappointed in Giordanos. We've eaten there numerous times previusly, but it seems as if their quality has taken a nosedive. Gibsons is always good. We had great burgers and a really fun time at Johnny Rockets recently; and it's within walking distance of north Michigan. The Sleeper hit of casual dining on our last trip was actually Famous Dave's in Lombard. Some of the best barbecue we've ever had and the service was extraordinary. If you like Russian food, you must try the Russian Tea Time. It's outstanding and is within site of the Art Institute. We've had high tea there before also and really enjoyed it; a welcome respite from museum touring and heavy walking. Have fun!

Author: Hipona
Date: 06/16/2003, 11:52 am
Message: For pizza in Chicago you can't go wrong with Giordano's.

Author: rjw_lgb_ca
Date: 06/16/2003, 11:56 am
Message: I second Rosebud for Italian-- and their pizza is great, too. I would also remind you about Lou Malnati-- their River North location is on Wells.

Your steak selections are fine. Burgers? Well, you don't go to Chicago for burgers. I don't think I've ever had a burger there.

If you like French, please think about going to Bistro 110 on Pearson (right near Water Tower). Great French food, relaxed atmosphere. For Mexican, the very best is the Frontera Grill/Tompolobampo twins on Clark. Bon appétit!

Author: GoTravel
Date: 06/16/2003, 12:01 pm
Message: For burgers go the the original Billy Goat Tavern. If I remember correctly, it is under the Wrigley Building.

Author: patg
Date: 06/16/2003, 12:19 pm
Message: For Burgers, try Boston Blackie's. It's within walking distance of the Sheraton, at Grand (500 North) and St. Clair (one half block east of Michigan Avenue, but Grand goes under Michigan at that point, so there are stairs.)

Pizza - I love Lou Malnati's thin crust (all their crusts are made with cornmeal, very tasty!) Most people think of thick crust or deep dish pizza when they think of Chicago, but it is so filling! One to two pieces of deep dish is plenty, especially if you plan on walking afterward.

Italian - there are so many that you almost cannot choose. Rosebud, Francesca and Tuscany are the favorites of many; Trattoria Roma is casual and good. It's almost easier to make plans for after dinner and search in that area for a restaurant, because driving and parking can be a challenge in the neighborhoods.

Author: cd
Date: 06/16/2003, 12:33 pm
Message: For Burgers? Ed Debevics. A fun place and good blue- cheese burgers.

Author: Cerlaurie
Date: 06/17/2003, 10:05 pm
Message: I would recommend Lou Malnati's for pizza. Giordano's is good but it is a stuffed pizza not Chicago deep dish. My next choice after Lou Malnati's would be Gino's East. As for Italian, my favorite is Francesca's. We like to go to the one on Taylor. Tuscany is also very good. Rosebud gives you huge portions and the food is good but the other two are much better. For steak, I would choose either Morton's or the Chop House. The best burgers are at Boston Blackie's which isn't too far from your hotel. I think someone mentioned Ed Debevic's - there burgers are also good and it is a fun place to visit. Billy Goat's is fun to vist but I personally think they have awful burgers. Have fun!

Author: LauraT
Date: 07/11/2003, 06:21 pm
Message: I know the original poster has come and gone, but others may benefit. In addition to places mentioned:

Steak - Keefers, Sullivans, Gene & Georgetti's
Italian - Carmines (lots of seafood, too)
Pizza - Ranalli's (though their specialty is thin crust, not the Chicago classic deep dish)
Burgers - Bar Louie

Author: flsd
Date: 09/21/2003, 07:09 pm
Message: Does anyone know of good Italian restaurants not too far from the Chicago Hilton (Grant Park)?

Author: simpsonc510
Date: 09/21/2003, 07:28 pm
Chop House is a good choice for steak.

Author: Kristi
Date: 09/21/2003, 07:54 pm
Message: Flsd, you might take a look at Gioco at 1312 S. Wabash. It's got a good write up in Chicago Magazine. It's still about 6-7 blocks away from the Hilton in Grant Park so you'll probably still want to take a cab.

http://www.gioco-chicago.com/menu.htm

Date: 09/22/2003, 09:40 am
Message: Original poster is still here actually. I never did post a trip report from before. On that trip, we went to Wildfire for steak. (Excellent by the way.) Pizzeria Uno for pizza. Also very good, and Bacchanalia for Italian. (Best I've ever had.) We are returning this weekend and hitting probably Bacchanalia or another one of the neighborhood restaurants such as Bruna's. Will probably do a Giordanos for pizza and then for steak will either return to Wildfire or go to Chop House most likely. Going to do the Architectural River Cruise, hit Lincoln Park Zoo and just walk and explore.

Author: mrt
Date: 09/23/2003, 04:11 pm
Wildfire is considerably cheaper than the others and still very good.

Author: Kristi
Date: 09/28/2003, 11:26 am
Message: pjmystic, did you get to Bruna's this weekend? We tried it on Friday and I was extremely disappointed esp. after seeing such positive reviews out on Chowhound and Metromix. It's really hard to believe we were in the same restaurant. I didn't have a problem with the restaurant and service but the food just wasn't very good. The chicken parm was dry, the calamari overcooked. The porcini ravioli was good but nothing that will lure me there again. BTW we were there on a Friday and it wasn't particularly busy.

For those of you reading this that aren't as familiar with Chicago, Bruna's and Bacchanalia are fairly far from downtown Chicago, about 6 miles from the Michigan Avenue area, and in an isolated section of Chicago ironically called the Heart of Chicago. I've never even driven through that area before.

Little Italy on Taylor Street (Rosebud, Tuscany, Francesca's) is a bit closer at about 4 1/2 miles. I have never had a bad meal at Rosebud on Taylor and I've seen good reviews of Tuscany and Francesca's.

Author: arjay
Date: 09/28/2003, 01:45 pm
Message: There's a cozy little bar called the Coq d'Or in the ground floor level of the Drake. They have a short menu that includes a delicious burger. The last time we were there, it was about $9, but quite worth it. Start with a cup of their delicious Bookbinder soup (same as what's served in the well-known Cape Cod Room in the hotel, but w/o Cape Cod prices). This is a dark-panelled, comfy little place...it's really kind of a 'neighborhood bar' for the Gold Coast set. Highly recommended.

Date: 09/28/2003, 08:38 pm
Message: Kristi: I'm sorry about your experience at Bruna's. We didn't make it there this weekend, ran out of time and were going to the Sound Of Music and didn't want to risk the drive out and back. Yes, it is a little bit of a drive out there and the neighborhood's you drive through are a bit suspect. We went to Bacchanalia earlier this summer and loved it. Haven't tried Bruna's yet. We will probably be hitting the Taylor St restaurants next time around as they are a bit closer but still a small trip out of downtown. We went the Auditorium Theatre Saturday night which I must say was quite an incredible place if you ever have the opportunity go go there. However, I can't believe there are seats as high as there are in that upper balcony. Incredible! Sorry Bruna's didn't work out for you. It makes it hard to justify the trip out there when the food is subpar.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Pizza: Lou Malnaits!
Steak: Gibsons, Ruths Chris, Chicago chop house, Mortons.
Italina: Maggianos or Buca De Beppo
Burgers: Billy Goats.