Restaurants near Chicago Fairmont

Apr 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
tmt
Original Poster

Restaurants near Chicago Fairmont

Hi

My husband and I will be staying at the Fairmont Chicago for a week for a conference. I tried metromix.com for recommendations, but it came up with 257 restaurants for "the loop", which I think is where the Fairmont is located.

We love Mexican and will need a few margaritas during the conference. We like nice buffets for a more quick in and out when need be. Love BBQ, Lebanese, any ethnic foods too. I guess pretty much anything. So, we can be dressed up or dressed down. Being rather close by will be important for at least 1/2 the time while we are there. We are not on the company budget, so we will only be going to one higher end restaurant for dinner.

Thanks for any input. Taylor
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I don't know where the Fairmont is. But, if it is indeed in the loop, I would suggest trying The Berghoff on Adams. It's a German restaurant that's a Chicago institution. Am responding in part in order to bump this to the top. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses.
Apr 8th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Here's your location:
http://www.choosechicago.com/hotels_loop.html

I think you will be disappointed by the lack of walk-to restaurants in that area. It's a high-rise district of hotels and office buildings, between the Chicago river and Grant Park. You'll need to go north of the river for smaller,local places, or walk west to Michigan Avenue and the Loop, or take a quick cab ride to River North for the best selection. Since you aren;t that interested in HIgh-end eating, use metromix and reduce the price for dinner before searching.

There are a number of good Thai places - Star of Siam would be walking distance. Greektown is reasonably priced and popular - see the metromix article on "Saganaki Strip". For Lebanese, try Fatoush (sp) in Lincoln Park (15 minute cab ride).
Apr 9th, 2005, 04:04 AM
tmt
Original Poster

So, looks like I'm stuck between high rises for at least lunch.

Any good places for lunch in the loop area...near the Fairmont?

Thanks. Taylor
Apr 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything near the Fairmont Hotel, I think patg's description is pretty on point. Cabs are plentiful near the hotels usually so hop in one and you have lots of options. Here are the ones I can think of within 15 minute or so walk.

For a good American contemporary meal, you could try the Park Grill on Millennium Park at 11 N. Michigan, Columbus is one very long block from Michigan and then 2 block south. They are open for lunch, within walking distance of the Fairmont and they take reservations, you can use www.opentable.com on the net.

For a quick cajun meal, you could head over to Heaven on Seven at 111 N. Wabash on the 7th floor of the Garland Building. There can be a line at lunchtime but it usually goes quick.

There's a buffet style Vietnamese Place called To Pho at 19 N. Wabash for lunch.

A little further away, for good Mexican, try Frontera Grill or the more expensive Topolobampo, celebrity chef Rick Bayless' two restaurants. Frontera doesn't take reservations though so you might save that for dinner when you have time to wait. Their margaritas (not frozen) are excellent, located at 445 N. Clark.

Apr 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Try Aria in the Fairmont. I think you will enjoy it.
Apr 13th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I used to work at the Prudential Bldg and we liked for a quick lunch nearby (sandwiches, pizzas, salads), try Soprafina in the Aon building which is one building south. Also, there is a Corner Bakery in the Chicago Historical Society at the corner of Randolph and Michigan. Park Grille for dinner is great. Marshall Fields on State is a 5 minute walk for many lunch options, or wander south on Michigan toward the Art Institute or north toward the river and there are alot of small storefront lunch places.
Apr 13th, 2005, 07:32 AM

P.S. there is also a Giordanos in the Prudential Building courtyard.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

I can answer that question, sort of, because the Fairmont is in my “backyard”.

No Mexican food, but....

Across the street, from the Fairmont, facing east, towards the lake, is a large, huge, massive “sunken” open area. This “open” area is actually at the ground level, but years ago, the city built the streets, two streets levels above the ground.

This open area is not really open because there is a huge ongoing development project underway at ground level.

There used to be a very beautiful 9 hole course located here and before that, train tracks.

Just next to the fire station, which is located at the north end of this open area, is a silver colored elevator that will take you down to the ground level, where a restaurant that used to service the golf center, is still open.

There is a huge outdoor patio and much of the landscaping for the development project is finished. It's quite a treat and a great view sitting in a city below the city.

The food is your regular mixed type United States food, but it's good, inexpensive and close. The restaurant was once, the place to eat and watch golfing downtown. They have drink and food specials everyday.

Here is a link to my post on Cheap Eats near the Hyatt. The Hyatt is across on the north side of your hotel.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

The closest Mexican restaurant to you is EL Barro on Lake Street. The concierge will know its location.

Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM
tmt
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I won't go hungry!

Taylor
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Here's another resource for restaurant suggestions. www.chicagoreader.com. Choose restaurants on the left hand bar. Then you can search by neighborhood or proximity to a tourist attraction, type of food, price, etc. It's not exactly easy to locate near Fairmont which is really East of the Loop, but try a search within 1/2 mile of Tribune Tower or Navy Pier (under the public buildings category). The Chicago Reader is an "off beat" weekly newspaper and its ratings and reviews are spot on. Also there are individual customer reviews for each restaurants. Enjoy Chicago!
Apr 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

If you are in town for the weekend call and make a reservation for brunch at the Signature Room, which is on top of the John Hancock Building. It's an upscale pricy restaurant and bar that has an awesome view of the city and lake front. On the weekends the brunch is only $14.95. It's maybe a mile or so walk on north michigan ave.
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Here is another on The Illinois Culinary Institute offers great gourmet lunches and dinners at great prices.