US Airways White Plains, NY to DCEst

Jan 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

US Airways White Plains, NY to DCEst

I need to book a flight for my 16 year old to travel from Westchester County Airport to W DC (Regan Int'l Airport.)

Looks like US Air has direct flights at convenient times. She will be flying in February.Does anyone know if the flight schedules are usually on time? Is this airline safe and reputable? I have to say that their telephone personnel have so far left me wondering.....

Also what is the best way or place to buy trip insurance?

Thank you for your help.
Jan 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM

If you are flying to Washington-National, USAirways is likely your only choice from White Plains. Of course it is safe and reputable, it is one of the largest airlines in the country. Whether it will be on time is anyone's guess, but given your options, it's probably worth the risk.
Jan 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Mike. Do you know anything about trip insurance?
Such as where to purchase it and if there is are any exclusions that would make it not worth buying?

Also - is there any reason it would be better to book the flight from JFK or LaG. or Newark than White Plains?

Many thanks again.
Jan 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM

The flights are operated by Air Wisconsin as USAirways Express on a regional jet.

From flightstats.com, the early morning flight 3635 arrives on-time (within 15 minute of schedule) 40 times out of 44 since October. 2 late and 2 excessive (like hours late, not uncommon for regional jet flights in the Northeast).

4069 doesn't fare as good. Of the 49 flights, 33 arrive on-time, 5 late, 2 very late and 9 excessive.

Same thing with 4093, of the 47 flights 33 on-time, 3 late, 1 very late and 10 excessive.

Air Wisconsin is a large regional carrier with 70 regional jets. They used to be a big feeder for United, now exclusively USAirways.
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
J62

The advantage of LGA is that there are hourly flights all day long. If you arrive a the airport early you can often just get on the next flight rather than waiting. The LGA to DCA route is competitive, so fares are kept in line.

If you live in SW CT, Westchester or Putnam counties then White Plains (HPN) airport is easy to get to.
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
J62

A quick check of mid-week Feb dates shows HPN to DCA $250+taxes RT, and LGA to DCA $100.

It's a 30min drive from HPN to LGA. I would do LGA myself for the price difference and frequency of flights.

Many people aren't comfortable navigating around NYC by car, which I understand.
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Not sure why you want trip insurance. In case of weather delay or mechanical problems delaying the flight trip insurance can no nothing that the airline won;t do anyway (refund your money or get you on the next flight).

Trip insurance is usually for a tour or cuise or expensive package - to repay you if you fall ill and can;t go- of become ill on the trip and need to come back to the US.

From New York to DC - don;t understand it.

Separately - to get to Reagan I agree that flying from LGA is a much better idea - and less likely to have problems/issues unless there's a blizzard or something.
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such useful information. I'll check out LGA
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM

The main (only?) reason to fly from Westchester Airport would be if its location is convenient. Otherwise, you have the disadvantage of a long wait if your particular flight is cancelled or delayed. And, as has been previously noted, if you are at a larger airport (say, LaGuardia), there's always another flight an hour or so later.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM

If you are going as far as LGA, then why not consider Amtrak??
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Westchester County Airport is the problem in this scenario. It is not a passenger friendly airport. A few years ago (maybe 7-10??) there was a new housing development built near the end of the the runway. The homeowner's associated petitioned the town to limit the amount of commercial air traffic due to noise. Money always talks so the airport was limited to 4 gates to park aircraft.

Instead of cutting back on flights, it just creates a back-up of aircraft trying to park. Often you will land and have to wait for 30 minutes or more to park. That's why so many of the flights are late.

As a pilot, I HATE that airport.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:07 AM

As for LGA, it can be a total nightmare with delays. But you do have more flights so rebooking is easier.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
J62

According to old posts OP lives in Westchester, near the Tappan Zee Bridge. From there to LGA is about 30miles. A bit further than HPN (15mi) but hardly all that far.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I grew up in the DC area and I'd have to second the idea of considering AMTRAK. We don't know how much longer this option will be around and it is a very pleasant trip. From Union Station in downtown DC the Capitol is only a ten min walk and connections to Metro are easy. However, I cannot comment how easy/difficult it is to get from NE of NY to Pen sta in downtown NY, if you are using the NY commuter rail.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for so much info. I don't mind the drive to LAG, altho HPN is closer and would be convenient. The flight is for my daughter. She is attending a Leadership conference and their staff only picks up at DCA, not at the train station. Apparently the stationis about 1hour from their campus.

I called US Air to get information on flights from LAG, and the shuttle is almost 2x the cost of the direct flights from Westchester. So, am I doing something wrong with booking? Is there a better airline than US Air? Any additional info. is greatly appreciated. ANd thanks again, everyone has been so helpful.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I'm a frequent user of Westchester Airport and I've never encounted the situation that rizzo0904 mentioned.
My biggest complaint about the airport are the ridiculously high rates for parking there.
My biggest fear (and I call it that rather than a problem) is that if my flight is cancelled because of mechanical problems, there's no substitute plane handy and the next scheduled flight to my destination would probably be hours away....if not the next day!
Still, in spite of my complaints and fears, I still use the airport regularly, because it's so damned convenient!
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
J62

check www.aa.com. that's where i saw the fare for $50 each way.
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

well, I still haven't figured out what to do! Westchester is sooo convenient, but I am concerned about what happens if the flight is delayed or cancelled. Since its my daughter flying solo and heading for a conference, I want to maximize the likelihood that all will go off as closely as possible to "as planned"! The best fare I found on aa.com was $180 round trip which is still cheaper than Westchester's $268. Of course, with gas, parking, tolls, it's a close decision. The $50 each way must be for midweek flights. What to do, what to do? Any ideas to help me decide?
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM

When I flew out of there for US Airways, we would often have Senator Clinton on board. If you can figure out her normal flight, I'm sure it will get there on time .
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Yes, it would make sense for Senator Clinton to use that airport, since it's less than 10 miles from her home.