Search

airport connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airport connection

Expedia is offering the best fare for a trip I want to take. I have to connect in Chicago with only 1 hr.scheduled between the connections. Is this risky? If the first plane is very late and I miss the connection, will there be any problem getting on a later flight(there is a later flight)since I bought the ticket on expedia.
Thanks,
krisz
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:53 AM

One hour should be plenty. Are you flying in and out of different airports or different terminals? If not ,no worries,you'll be fine. If you miss the connection because of a late arrival they will re-seat you on a later flight,as long as you are on time for the first leg.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:57 AM

The offical minimum connecting time in Ohare Airport is 50 minutes between totally domestic flights, 1 hour 15 minutes for a domestic flight to an international flight, and 1 hour 30 minutes for an international flight to a domestic flight.If you are connecting same airline to same airline,it may be less.If you have a choice it may depend on your own personal comfort level.The airlines themselves have established the minimum connecting times at all airports.If they felt you needed more time,then the MCT would be extended.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I hate to contradict another, but the minimum connecting times posted above are not correct for all flights. They are only the 'default' times.

For example, American has a time of 1 hour for certain flights (domestic to domestic) and some domestic to international connections have published 2.5 and 3.5 (!) hour minimums.

Airlines do not always adhere to their own minimums when showing connecting flights. And if you miss a connection because your schedule is less than the published time for those flights it is YOU who may be out of luck, not the airlines. There was a case here a while ago with a similar situation and I believe the travel agency, Expedia or whoever, which is responsible for ensuring compliance, paid up.

Post your flights here and someone will check the actual time for your specific flights. Be safe, not sorry.....
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

NoFlyZone, I might not be clear on what you asked. The Expedia flight is on Air Canada, but the first 2hr. segment to Chicago is operated by United Express. It is scheduled to arrive at 12:35pm and the flight to Montreal is scheduled to depart at 1:35pm. I have been through ORD several times in the past few years, changing from domestic to international (although not Air Canada). Thanks for the help.
krisz
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:04 AM
cfc

Others have reported difficulties with missed connections on flights booked through Expedia -- do a search here and you might find the discussions. If the airline decides to be helpful, good; but if they say, "sorry, it's an Expedia ticket," then you're SOL.

An hour is fine under no-traffic, no-weather circumstances, but OHare is notorious for having both weather and traffic. If you're going to book through Expedia, I'd call them before you do -- first to find out how hard it is to get through to a person in customer service and second to find out their policy on missed connections.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:54 AM

krisz, what incoming flight number? Depending on that, the minimum time varies from 30 to 75 minutes.....
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Where do we find the minimum connecting times for airports so we can check for ourselves when booking online with airlines or travel agents?
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Travel agents have this info. The airlines also have it. I would never book a domestic to int'l trip over the web on two separate carriers without first verifying the legal connection required. You really ought to deal with the airline or an agent and pay a few extra dollars cause if anything goes wrong then it's going to cost a multiple of your saved fare to get you where you need to be.