Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I be worried about the short time between connecting flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying to Rome at the end of May 2003 for my honeymoon, with a brief stopover in Amsterdam. So brief, in fact we arrive in Amstersdam at 6:05 am and fly out to Rome at 7:10 am. Is this enough time to make the connecting flight? Both flights are on Northwest.....
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:00 PM
ira

Hi Helene,<BR><BR> One hour is the minimum layover time.<BR>You will probably be OK.<BR><BR> Just to be sure, however, check with your airline as to what to do if your baggage doesn't make it.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM

It depends. On domestic flights, the cutoff for a &quot;legal connection&quot; is between 45 minutes and 1 hour. For an international flight, if you need to clear some type of &quot;in-transit&quot; customs, and you're on a large plane that can take a few minutes to unload, an hour could be pushing it. (For example, I flew Air France last summer to Nice, with a connection in Paris. I needed to be rechecked in at the AF in-transit desk in Paris in order to enter the departure gates. An hour in that case would not have been sufficient.)<BR><BR>You might want to call the airline and check. Perhaps it isn't an issue, or possibly the reservation was booked by someone who wasn't aware that this could be a problem.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:11 PM
NJJ

Be advised that some airlines are changing flight schedules and canceling flights. This happened to us last week on Airfrance. We were not the only travelers with the same problem. Check with your airline before you leave!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:57 PM

I don't think you will have a problem making your connecting flight, but your luggage might not make it until late that evening or in the worst case, the next day. Happened to us several times, especially connecting thru Frankfurt.<BR><BR>Take some toiletries and a change of under garments in your carry on. I've learned my lesson.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:26 PM
rex

&lt;&lt;Take some toiletries and a change of under garments in your carry on. I've learned my lesson.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>This is not my idea of &quot;peace of mind&quot; (and I am someone who advises virtually NEVER buy rail tickets until you get to Europe). I recommend that your carry-on should contain EVERYthing you can think you will need to get you through at least FORTY-EIGHT hours from arrival.<BR><BR>I've seen luggage delays last that long one too many times.<BR><BR>And this doesn't mean being a &quot;bin-hog&quot; with your carry-on. I recommend that your carry-on bag should weigh no more than eight OUNCES empty (i.e., small-medium nylon duffel); you can put a lot of stuff into that and still stay under 15-20 pounds packed, as your carry-on.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:12 PM

No problems. One hour and 5 minutes is pleanty time to make the connection in Amsterdam. Especially now when the airports are empty because of the economic recession, Iraq and SARS.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Also, be aware that your flight from Amsterdam to Rome is on KLM, even though you might have a Northwest flight number (this is called code-sharing). So, when you arrive in Amsterdam, look for the KLM flight to Rome that departs at the time on your ticket.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:01 AM

I'll tell you my experience with KLM doing a similar route. <BR>If you arrive in Amsterdam late (even 10 minutes), there is a good chance that they won't let you on the connecting flight. There won't be enough time to get your baggage.<BR>It has happened to me that I was standing in front of my plane which was the only flight that day going to San Francisco, but couldn't board. I arrived late from Milan (always KLM), but because it was under an hour before departure, I wasn't allowed to board. <BR>Lead to a series of problems.<BR>For you however, there will be more than one flight to Rome, I imagine at least 5 in a day, so don't worry if you don't make it. <BR>Keep an eye on the time and rush off the plane, just to be sure. And advise the KLM rep at the arrival gate that you are there, and ask if you have time to make it.<BR>Ciao, Melissa
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I had a nightmare experience at London Heathrow flying from Boston to France. I had 80 minutes and it was not nearly enough. You have to check in a minimum of 1 hour or they won't let you board, even if the flight is on the ground and hasn't boarded. I would allow 3 hours from now on. I missed all flights and lost luggage. I dealt with Orbitz with no satisfaction beforehand. I have since negotiated a settlement with them and will be flying again in the future on them.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:08 AM
KT

I've done similar NW/KLM transfers many times at Schiphol. You won't have to do any customs or immigration there, as long as you don't leave the airside of the terminal, so don't worry about that. I'm a little puzzled about the report of not being able to board if you arrive less than an hour before. When you check in in the US for the flight to AMS, NW normally checks you in and give you boarding passes for both segments -- then all you have to do is get to the AMS-FCO plane before they stop boarding, and they won't even have started boarding it an hour before departure. (Maybe it's different going TO the US, though even then I've always gotten both boarding passes at the outset and been okay as long as I get to the US-bound flight before they shut the doors.)<BR><BR>However...I must say that I've had a couple of problems with my baggage missing a tight connection at Schiphol and arriving about a day late. I've heard that things have improved, but who knows?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:25 AM
jor

Yes, you should be worried. I had a connecting flight in Paris which was a longer stopover than yours. I encountered a few problems and ended up RUNNING through that megalopolis airport. Have not been to the Amsterdam airport but if your NW flight is a little late you could have a problem. I would not risk this flight. Get a better connection.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Although this is a different airport, here is my experience we had at Heathrow. Arriving from Dulles for a change to Oslo. We had 3 hrs between flights. The flight from Dulles was delayed &amp; we took off 2 hours late (rain/weather). We had carry-on luggage. Arrived at the heathrow terminal with 45 minutes to spare. At the front desk, they said we could make because we only had carry-on, can just make the flight if we hurried. This particular time was the only time both of us ever had to stop &amp; have our luggage searched. After the luggage search, we didn't even continue on to the gate - wouldn't have made in time to board. Waited 6 hours at Heathrow for the next flight. But we still did get to our destination that day, just alittle late. In other words, you may really never know if it is enough time until you get there. Personally, I would feel better with a 2 hour layover, but you will probably be fine with 1 hour, unless there are delays. Is there a later flight for the connection? If you miss the earlier one, hopefully they can get you on the next one.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:44 AM

KT, helene *will* have to go through immigration in Amsterdam as it will be her first airport in the Schengen zone. Just follow the signs to your departure gate and you will automatically pass an immigration checkpoint. Customs will be done in Rome, so no need to collect your bags. <BR>I have been on that flight to Rome a few times and it is always full with Americans and Canadians.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM

2 points: Be sure to get your boarding pass for that KLM flight when you get your boarding pass for your flight to Amsterdam. Second, don't be scared by those who have posted re: their experience in Paris. I assume they're talking about CDG which is an awful, awful airport for making connections. Amsterdam is much, much better.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:37 PM
KT

Sorry about my mistake. I guess it stuck in my mind that I never had to go through customs and I somehow turned that into not having to go through immigration either.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know there are several flights to Rome after the one we have been already booked for, but just in case I will contact NW regarding my tickets.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For all the crazy &amp; true stories above... I can't help but remind people that Schiphol/Amsterdam is *NOT* Heathrow/London or CDG/Paris.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:45 PM

AMS is a large airport and depending upon the time of day, there can be a line at immigration that you may have to wait in. The 4 times I've flown through, I've had quite a hike from my inbound gate to the outbound gate as you are usually going from/to a jumbo jet to/from a smaller regional KLM flight. One hour could be tight at the wrong time of day. On your return trip home, be sure to get to the gate in AMS plenty early if you have the same type of transfer. I had a 3 hour layover and spent time shopping. By the time I went to the gate, there was a huge lineup that took almost an hour as they ask each and every person a multitude of questions before they let you board (when you are returning to the US). I would check on backup flight options in case you do miss your original flight. Good luck!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:52 PM

When we were at AMS, there was quite a long slow line at immigration. It came to a halt for a while because a Rumanian woman and her ten year old son were questioned throughly, searched, and then turned over to the police! However, we did get on our plane in time, although we had begun to wonder if we would.