How to find direct flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love it if someone on this board could tell me how to search for flights online that are nonstop.

Other than searching different airlines individually, how can I find which airlines serve which cities?

I am presently trying to find fares for JFK-ORD. I have been searching sites, like JET BLUE (they don't go) Northwest (only through Detroit) Delta (must change).

There must be a better way, HELP?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:07 AM
P_M

First of all, there is a difference between direct and non-stop. Direct means that the plane stops somewhere, then you continue on that same plane. I don't mean to be nit-picky about words, but I have known people who accepted a "direct" flight and were shocked when they arrived to check in and learned that their flight wasn't non-stop.

I suggest orbitz.com. They will display a chart that tells you how many stops you will make. If that doesn't work try expedia.com. I think you can set your preferences to only display non-stop flights. I hope you will find something suitable.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM

If you go to a site like Expedia and select the full flight search (the flight tab on the top of the page), it will give you more options, including one for finding just non-stop flights.

But, in my experience, non-stop flights between ORD and JFK are few and far between. Most flights between ORD and the NYC area are to LGA or EWR. Expedia shows that Delta has one ORD-JFK non-stop per day on a regional jet.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Cassandra

A quick plug-in with Orbitz suggests that there is only 1 non-stop all day, and that's Delta's that leaves at 12:30 pm. Hard to believe that's it -- but of course Orbitz just covers the "majors," not the discounts.

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:14 AM

I like http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/

You can select the number of stops you will allow.

You will need to check Southwest Airlines site for their flights.

Keith
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:30 AM
P_M

I thought of SW too, but be advised they don't serve either JFK or ORD. The nearest they get to JFK is Islip, NY which is on Long Island. It's not terribly far from JFK, but it would mean going to the trouble and expense of an airport change. Also SW flies into Chicago Midway, not ORD. However, they tend to be a lot less expensive than the others, so it might be worth looking into.
http://www.southwest.com/
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:39 AM
P_M

Sorry, let me re-state that. If you are flying into JFK then on to Chicago, it would involve an airport change. If you are begining your trip at JFK, then the Islip airport might be an option.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 06:33 AM
sandi

cyberUK- must indicate that you're arriving from the UK via JFK and have to get to ORD. Granted you might find a carrier that flies non-stop from JFK to ORD, but instead of knocking yourself out, I'd get a flight out of LaGuardia (LGA) where there are flights hourly - AA, UA. It's almost easier to collect your bags, jump into a taxi, pay your $20 or so, rive 20-minutes and depart from LGA and the airfares are probably more competitive.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM

www.smarterliving

non-stop flts. listed first
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Many airport web sites list the airlines they service. You should also be aware that some cities have multiple airports. Even Newark, New Jersey, is considered by many to be a New York City airport. Chicago has both Ohare and Midway, possibly others.