Reload this Page >

Name on Airline Ticket

Search

Name on Airline Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:38 AM
SCramer

Name on Airline Ticket

My husband and I will be traveling to Europe in October. We received our plane tickets in the mail yesterday and our last name is spelled incorrectly. Should be CRAMER and appears on the ticket as CHAMER. We called the airline and they said they would put a note in the computer and that everything would be fine. How important is it that the name on the ticket match the name on the passport?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:34 PM
lucky

I have done the same thing myself on several occasions...I would not worry bout it...

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:29 AM
traveler

Where in the world did you buy the ticket from????? You may have problems through customs, it's not the problem with the airlines, it is going through the country's customs area. I am a former ticket agent. Experience speaks. <BR>WHO did youo buy the ticket from????

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:20 AM
travel agent

It is the responsibility of the agent to verfiy names with the client in order to avoid things like this. I certainly hope you will not go back to that agent. It is very important that the name on the ticket match the one on the passport. Without the "H", you are a completely different person. It's not like having one too many "s"'s in "anderson".

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:06 AM
xxx

More than likely she booked on an online site. When people become their own travel agents..look out! And by the airline stating that would be not problem is wrong too! May not be a problem for them but good luck going through customs!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:29 AM
xxxxxxx

I had a similar problem and in Italy on the way back we had some difficult time to explain these were our tickets. And yes, they assured us we will not have a problem. Go back to your travel agent and ask her/him to correct a mistake that she/he made even if it means additional cost. Plaese do not pay. It is not your fault and you shouldn't pay for it but get new tickets. Have a great trip

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:00 AM
SCramer

Thanks for all the responses. I booked the tickets over the phone directly with the airline. They had even read back the spelling and it was correct. I contacted the airline again and they said to send back the tickets and they will reissue them with the spelling of the last name corrected.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Greg Gallagher

Glad you got them changed. My wife and I just got back from Paris and ran into some trouble as a result of her name not matching her passport (we just got married last year). Fortunately i had the last minute sense to pack our wedding license. In essence, they are checking every little detail. Have a beautiful trip.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had a problem with middle names on airline tickets. My boyfriend's passport has A. as his middle name, but the ticket says Andrew ( which is his middle name, it just doesnt appear in his passport). His first and last names are ok. Do you think this would be a problem? Thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 12:12 PM

As long as the first and last names match, it should be fine. I have my full middle name listed on my passport but have never had an airline ticket issued with my middle name on it, just first and last. I haven't had it questioned so far.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Hello everyone.

I have a question about this aswell. I just realized that I booked the trip with the short form of my name *Barb* and my passport reads *Barbara*, I hope this isn't going to be a problem anywhere. Any thoughts?

Barb
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM
sandi

Call the airline directly and have them put a note in your record that your full name is Barbara so that it matches your passport. And remember when booking again, whether domestic or itinernational - always use your given name that appears on your license or passport used for ID.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 04:34 AM
P_M

Barb, you might have a problem. In 2002 I was booking a ticket to Italy for my dad. I told them his first name was Don. The lady asked me if the name on his passport was Don or Donald. I didn't know so I asked how important it was. She said it was absolutely imperative that the ticket should match the passport. It turned out it was Donald, so the ticket had to be booked that way.

I hope all it takes is a call to put a note into the system, but it's possible they will have to re-issue your ticket. I'm a little surprised the ticket agent didn't ask you if Barb was your legal name, and this might be a good arguement for waiving any re-issue fees. Good luck, and please post back and let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Well I don't know what to think. I contacted my travel agent and she said that I shouldn't be concerned about it at all. Maybe I should phone the airline direct. I guess I could just trust her opinion....ahh geez. It is a direct flight from Canada to the Dominican Republic on a Charter. Maybe I could get my travel agent to add a letter to the tickets. I will have to think about this, my TA has been doing this for 20 years but I wish she would have mentioned it, although it's not solely her fault. I guess I have just been Barb for so long I forgot about Barbara...lol. Hope she is well...lol. Ok, I am not gonna panic, I will trust her opinion and let it ride.

Barb
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM
P_M

Barb, PLEASE call the airline!! I would never trust someone else's opinion on something so important, and most TA's that I have dealt with are not as knowledgeable as an experienced traveler. It will only take a few minutes from your day, and you will get accurate info straight from the source.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 05:08 AM

I have a similar problem....which I wasn't concerned about...until reading this thread.

I booked FF tickets to Italy and they were reserved under the name on her FF account, Marje. Her passport says Marjorie.

The airline said that they can't resissue the ticket because it would mean canelling her FF ticket first and the gettign a new FF ticket...but there isn't another award ticket available.

Since her passport is up for renewal, she is going to try to get her passport resissued in the same shortened name.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 05:49 AM

On flyertalk one poster reports being able to correct problems with the name by visiting the ticket counter at the airport, showing them the ticket and ID, and asking them to fix the problem. I wouldn't wait to the last minute to try this.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:15 AM
P_M

Dick, did the airline say it was imperative that the name on the ticket should match her passport? What will happen if there is no match? Will she be denied boarding?

Barb, no disrespect intended, but why did you ask the advice of this board if you're just going to LOL and ignore what we recommended? Travel agents will have us believe they know everything about travel, but that has not been my experience. I would hate for you to have problems using your ticket because of an error like this.

I think the suggestion to see an airline rep face to face is a good one. As someone who worked in customer service for many years, I learned that it's a lot harder to tell someone &quot;no&quot; in person than over the phone. Good luck to both Dick and Barb.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM

P M,

It gets more complicated. I'm using USAir FF miles for reward travel on United and then on Lufthansa and BMI in Europe. So, first, I have to hope that the tix wil be honored.

The airline said they had to match. They said that travel on United won't be the problem. The potential problem will be in Europe. I was told of the possibility that the foreign airlines may deny boarding if the ticket and passport aren't an EXACT match.

Our best bet is the chance that we can get a passport issued in the name that matches.

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Barb....You need to go back to the Travel Agent.The charter airline will most likely NOT have a rep at your local airport until day of departure.IMHO, you need more assurance than &quot;shouldn't have any problems&quot;.Get some specifics from the TA..could she change your name for a nominal fee.And if she can, I would ask her to pay the fee!! Any travel agent worth their salt KNOWS that names, tickets, passports, ID's must must must match.And, if she has been doing this for 20 odd years,I will eat my cap if she has never booked a &quot;Barb&quot; or &quot;Barbara&quot; before.Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -