Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

transfer to hot springs, arkansas - help with info

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually ask travel advice here but have seen and responded to great posts seeking advice for relocating. possible family may be relocating to hot springs, arkansas - used to a bigger city so do not know options, i.e, catholic or private high schools for girls, cost of living, good neighborhoods, quality of life, etc. etc. any info would be greatly appreciated and may help in persuading my high school girls that this is not the end of the world.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:20 AM

well, Bill Clinton grew up there, so at least we know that a young girl has a possibility of a romantic encounter or two.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Earl, I thought the Dixie Chicks put you in a trunk.

abmay, after life in a big city, it may feel like the end of the world but only if you make it so. We get transferred often and I know it is difficult.

If your girls are spa divas, bribe them with frequent hot springs treatments such as at Buckstaff Bath House or The Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa. The 143-degree waters are piped in from the hot springs and you get the full pampering treatments, including a massage.

www.buckstaffbaths.com

www.arlingtonhotel.com

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

anybody have any specific info re schools and housing?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:46 PM

abmay,
I live about 45 minutes from Hot Springs, so I know just a little about it. I believe the area has 2 school districts--Hot Springs and Lake Hamilton. I really don't know much about the school systems but have never heard bad things about either. You might try "googling" them to get more information.

There are several lakes around Hot Springs that are quite popular for recreational activities--Lake Hamilton being one. There are lots of beautiful houses and condos around this one. I know Lake Catherine and Lake Ouachita are also nearby but I don't know much about them. There is a lot of boating going on around Hot Springs in the summer!

The city itself has grown a lot in the last few years. There's an older, downtown part that has the hot springs and the spas,individually owned restaurants, quaint little shops, etc. Then, there is another area that has the chain restaurants and stores and a mall (it's not so great, in my opinion). There is also a race track, if you're interested in that. I have no idea when the season is. Little Rock, our largest city in AR, is about 45 minutes to an hour away. I hope this helps a little. Good luck with the (possible) move.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Abmay, you don't say which big city you're moving from?

What kind of activities are your girls involved in?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:28 PM

East Gate II is a very desirable neighborhood and would put your girls in the very desirable Lakeside School District. We have friends who moved from England (in Europe, not Arkansas) to Hot Springs and have been very happy there. There is nice country club and a very active social life.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM

Bill Clinton is from Hope ...well known for their watermelons.

I didn't vote for the dope from Hope.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
cd

Bill Clinton was born in Hope Arkansas but moved to Hot Springs in the second grade and Hot Springs is known as his boyhood home.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM

Wonder if abmay has forgotten about his/her own post?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Living in Hot Springs, I can give you alot of information. If I had a school to go to Lake Hamilton would be my first choice. Very very good school. Has the best of everything. Lakeside school is very "clickish" I know I spelled it wrong. Doctors, lawyers and such kids go there. Nothing wrong with it if you fit in. THe Hot Springs Sch Sys I would not recommend at all, I used to work in it and let me say ... I left and went to a different school system

Housing I would still look in the Lake Hamilton or Lakeside area. I don't know how much you have to spend on housing but you can get about 2000 sq/ft for about $160,000 give or take (depends on age and stuff like that). If you need more info let me know. Cost of leaving is not too bad, compared to the big city either.

[email protected] I can fill you in on other items too.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

Cost of leaving?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:18 PM

Look at Hot Springs Village, a golf course community about 15 miles from Hot Springs. We're divided into two school districts: Fountain Lake and Jessieville. Jessieville is small but has a good reputation. It has a lot of money because of so many retired people in the Village pay school taxes but never use the schools. The Village is not just for retirees. We have about 13,000 residents and about 600 of those are children. Write me at [email protected] if I can be of any help.