Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for small, charming, and/or fun town no more than two hours from Little Rock

Looking for small, charming, and/or fun town no more than two hours from Little Rock

Old May 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two best friends from high school and I are getting together June 4-8. They live in Memphis and I'm flying into Little Rock and from there we're going to choose a place to stay a few nights that will offer as many of the following as possible: good restaurants, pleasant shopping, nice scenery, vibrant local color, and the possibility of doing one spa treatment each as a special treat.

I'd love suggestions for towns, places to stay (prefer smaller inns and B&Bs to larger places) and things to do that shouldn't be missed. State parks? Nice place for short hikes? Local history? Interesting architecture? We'd be up for just about anything.

We don't need wild nightlife. We don't need chain hotels or restaurants. And before you suggest Memphis, let me just say that they want to get out of Memphis, and I've visited there plenty of times. We're looking for something new and fun.

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM

How about Hot Springs, Arkansas? Lots of b and b's, spas, hiking in the park, an interesting downtown with art galleries, restaurants, lakes and gardens. www.hotsprings.org
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hot Springs looks great--right up our alley. Do you have a specific B&B that you would recommend? What about restaurants?

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM

I really can't recommend either a b and b or restaurants. We always stay with my in-laws when we visit. Sorry.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I really like the look of Hot Springs, but now my friends tell me that they're leaning toward Eureka Springs. I looked up Eureka Springs over on TripAdvisor and of their Top 10 list for the town, 6 of them are of a religious nature. I admit, it has put me off a bit.

So, can anybody tell me what I'm missing about Eureka Springs? I don't want to be a spoilsport if they both really want to do that town over Hot Springs.

Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Too funny... I just blogged about Hot Springs yesterday (www.stricklandia.com). I'd agree that Hot Springs would be a great town for what you're looking for:

- Smaller inns/B&Bs
- Local history
- Interesting architecture
- Spa treatments
- Good restaurants
- Short hikes (nice hiking path above town)

Lake Dardanelle State Park (pretty much due north from Hot Springs on Rte. 7, which was a pretty drive) was a nice, scenic spot where you could spend an afternoon (despite the nuke plant stack on the skyline, which offers an ironic counterpoint to the state's slogan, "The Natural State"): http://strick.net/travel/images/cros..._lake_nuke.jpg

Hope this helps!

Mike
Personal travel blog: www.stricklandia.com
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
cd

We've been to both Hot Springs and Eureka Springs and enjoyed both. I feel Hot Springs offers you more to do but Eureka Springs does offer your spa and it is a cute little town. You'll have fun no matter which you chose but in case it's Hot Springs, we always stay here: http://www.arlingtonhotel.com/ it is walking distance to the Bathhouse we use: http://www.buckstaffbaths.com/ which is cheap and wonderful!
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Just to follow up on my original post--we have chosen Hot Springs and will be staying at Spring Street Inn June 4-8, which also coincides with the local music festival. Finding a charming place to stay that would accommodate three adults in one room was a challenge, but we managed it.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Glad on what you decided (really the only option, I think). Also curious as to why you are meeting in Little Rock ? As one of my least favorite cities in the US, I had to ask.

Old May 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Well, my two best friends live in Memphis and originally we were just going to play it low key and have me fly there for that weekend. But when I started pricing tickets, prices were in the $550-600 range! That took us back to the drawing board, and then I saw really cheap prices to Little Rock, about an hour away from Memphis. So I booked my ticket there instead, with the plan of still staying in Memphis. Then we switched directions entirely because my friends decided they didn't want to have our 35th celebration in their home town. So Hot Springs it is!
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM

I think Hot Springs is the choice. It has everything you are looking for...it's really quite a quaint little city, particularly for Arkansas! We like the Buckstaff Baths.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM

As already stated, Hot Springs is the place for you. It sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I've lived in Little Rock for 19 years so I would know. You may want to check out Magic Springs if you like amusement parks and Crystal Falls if you like water parks (they're joined together).