Tips for camping in Glacier National Park

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Nag
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for camping in Glacier National Park

Hi All,

I went thru many topics already covered in this forum. So, if I am asking something that has been discussed before, pls. forgive me.

I and my wife are making a trip to GNP this coming week (July 5 - July 7). 3 days is not enough but it is the best we can do since we are also going to Yellowstone and Grand Teton after that.

We have reserved 4 nights in St Mary campground. We are tenting. We are planning to get up early each morning ~6AM and hit one of the trails. My major concern at this point is there is no warm water in the campground restrooms. I am not sure how we can do basic things like washing face or brushing teeth.

Anybody has any suggestions? Any tips from anybody who has stayed there in St Mary campgrounds before on camping there in general ? We are occasional campers, we have camped before in places like Zion and Bryce in summer time. This will be the first time in a place like GNL that gets really cold at night/early-morning.

Thank you,
-Nag
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Brushing your teeth is no problem as you can just use bottled water if nothing else is available. You can use hand sanitizer to wash your hands. You can buy like a big 10 gallon bottle or water and heat portions in a pan to just do a spit bath. You can almost always find showers just outside most of the Major National Parks or nearest town. There is generally a $3 to $5 per 10 or 15 minutes. Skipping showering for a day or two is part of tent camping experience. Have adequate sleeping bags, and adequate tent for cooler weather. It can snow at anytime in Glacier. I haven't been to Glacier, but planning a trip for July 2010. Hope to hear what you think about it.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Our camping routine is that whoever gets up first lights the stove and starts heating water for coffee, tea, washing. And before we leave for the day's hike, we fill the solar shower and set it on a sunny rock. It is warm (95 degree or so) when we return.

And if you want a real shower I believe there are coin-op showers at Rising Sun CG.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Nag
Original Poster

Thank you spirobulldog & Enzian for your comments!

Our problem is that we do not have any stove to heat the water. We are flying in from Dallas, so it is a problem to buy one and carry it all the way.

We can take showers later in the day, not a problem.

When I check the temperatures currently at GNP, I find them to be typically between high 20s - low 30s till ~7AM in the morning. When it is that cold, I am not sure we can use the normal tap water in the sinks! The suggestion to buy some bottled water is a good idea I think. But, I have to hope that it does not get cold overnight due to the conditions. I am just hoping that it is not that cold in the campground and what weather.com shows may be from higher elevations.

I checked with the KOA people at St Mary, they say the showers (they have just 3) are real busy between 7AM-10AM. They have some restrooms with sinks w/ hot water we can use. But, they only open at 7AM. But, we are trying to leave the campground ready by that time. To make matters worse, the July 4th weekend is the busiest of the year for the park. The GNP rangers say that there is no warm water in any of the park campgrounds. (BTW, the Rising sun has just 1 shower stall for men and 1 for women!) So, it is going to be a little test!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM

I thought most people brushed there teeth with cold water?
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Nag
Original Poster

I do too Freezing cold is beyond me though!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Put a bottle of water in your sleeping bag with you when you go to bed. Shower when you return from your hike. You won't be working up much of a sweat overnight.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I can't imagine camping without some way to heat water! I need my cup of tea first thing in the morning. And it's nice to have a cup of hot chocolate in the evening.

You can get a wee little stove that screws onto a propane cylinder for under $25:

http://www.rei.com/product/752739

I'm sure there are similar ones available in Dallas at outdoor stores. Buy just the stove, not the propane cylinder (you can't fly with the fuel). The new stove top can safely be carried on the airplane. Buy the fuel cylinder when you get there---they are widely available. The cylinders are self-sealing and you can unscrew the stove part (and put on a lantern or other device if you have one). At the end of your trip, if there is fuel left in the canister, just give it to another camper. After the stove top has been separated from the fuel and left out so any and all fuel fumes are gone, you can again pack it away and carry it on the airplane.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Nag
Original Poster

Thank you Barbara & enzian!

Enzian, I like the idea. I had not ventured that far yet! I think you have made me give it a little more thought. We have REI here too. I think I'll get one.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM

That Texas water is really hot in the summer. It is here in Oklahoma as well. lol. We are about 4 hours from D and go there 4 or 5 times a year. Is there just the one REI there? We go to it occasionally.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Nag
Original Poster

There are at least a couple of them. The one in Plano is closest to us. Yes, it has been baking these past two weeks. So, I am looking forward to escape to the mountains this weekend!