how do you carry all your water on the hikes?

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you carry all your water on the hikes?

my husband and I are planning on doing the Narrows hike and the other hikes in Zion but all of them being day hikes and sleeping in a hotel. We are then doing the day hikes in Bryce so no camping will be involved. I will have on my back a pack carrying my camera which will most likely be around my neck most of the time. My husband is planning on having a bagpack of some sort on his back too. So my question is....WHERE DO WE CARRY ALL THE WATER? I get dehydrated easily (drink about 74 ounces a day in the office) as it is. Should we consider those camel type things...do some go on your hips? My husband wants to just carry gallon jugs in his backpack but I feel like that may be very uncomfortable. Any advice would be wonderful!!! thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
mms

Our family uses Cambelbaks and swear by them. One of our friends just used Nalgene bottles for years, til he forgot his one time and used one of our extra Camelbaks. He was a convert after that
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Make sure to have something to keep your camera dry during the narrows hike...When we went in august, there were chest-level waters.

Otherwise, I have used a what I call a day pack, which is a large hip or fanny pack. It has slots for water bottles on each side, which I fill with bottled water, and also enough room for a Nalgene inside. There is still more room for food or phone or whatever else you're carrying. It fits around the waste so it doesn't feel heavy.

The Narrows is "cool" so you won't need as much water as if you're out in the sun and heat, but for other hikes, I would recommend the day pack.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I don't think you'd need to invest in the camelback-type packs. I'd suggest just getting a couple of nalgene bottles or something similar, they are usually colorful plastic and have screw tops, usually don't leak and hold 20 oz. or so. Fill up two of these per person and stow them in your pack. Zion lodge has spring water coming out of a spigot on the wall by the cafe, it is WONDERFUL! There is water at the temple of Sinawava at the start of the narrows hike, so also drink as much as you can hold before you set out. There's also drinking water at the Grotto and Weeping Rock.

The Narrows isn't very hot, even in summer, but the other trails can be roasting. We just got back from a lovely trip over the 4th of July weekend, it was about 100 during the heat of the day but quite cool early in the morning.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM

noellev,

I live in UT and hike a lot. Like you I drink a LOT of water especially when hiking. I like my MULE model Camelbak. Comfortable, very convenient, good for day hikes. It carries 100 ml of water and it is insulated, so your water stays quite cool even after several hours.

If you do decide to use water bottles of some sort - don't fill them completely and freeze them the night before. It's wonderful! They keep you cool against your back and melt gradually to give you nice, cold water.

Be sure to have plenty of extra water in your car where ever you go.

Have fun!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
OO

My husband and I each got camelback type backpacks when we started hiking, in Grand Canyon and Utah. I can't tell you how many times we've used them since, not just major hikes such as those, but short ones around Texas as well, leaving from our house for day hikes. They are so useful...the pack carries snacks, lunches, first aid supplies as well as the water bladders, phones, cameras, you name it. They are light and so useful. His brand is Platypus, mine a North Face day pack.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Oh yes, the ziploc for the camera, definitely! Get one that has a nice slide top for less hassling opening and closing, I brought some off-brand one and it was a pain to get closed. Last weekend we never got deeper than mid-rear end, but it certainly is easy to slip and get wetter.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Zion Adventure Company rents just about everything. You will at least want their shoes at a minimum, for The Narrows. They rent drybags, and might even rent the camelbacks.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM

You aren't allowed to live in SW if you don't own a camelback

Deb
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I love my camelback backpack - the one I have is a daypack with the camelback inside, but you can take the camelback out and just use it separately, too. The great thing about the camelback is that you have the tube with the bite valve very handy, close to your face - you can just grab it and take a sip every few minutes, or whenever you feel the need - no stopping to pull out a water bottle, unscrew the top, drink, replace the top, and put the bottle away - therefore, you stay well hydrated, and can drink as you walk.

I also have a couple of camelback water bottles with the bite valves, a small one and a larger one, I use them all the time in the car, at meetings, and especially when I sing with my choral group and my choir - just take a sip, no spills, no unscrewing of tops - and it's discreet, because you don't have to tilt your head to drink. When I had shoulder surgery a few months ago, and it was very difficult for me to sit up in bed to take a drink of water, I came up with a great solution - I bought a hands-free bottle adapter for my camelback water bottle, and I was able to lie flat on my back and still drink water - it worked great! I still use it - it's nice when I wake up thirsty in the middle of the night to just reach over, grab the tube, and take a sip - no fumbling in the dark for a glass, or having to turn on the light and wake myself (or DH) up too much. I bought mine at my local Eastern Mountain Sports store, but here it is on the REI website, if you want to see what I'm talking about: http://www.rei.com/product/763661

Recently DH and I went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs, where we did some hiking. I didn't have the space to pack my nice camelback backpack, as I was taking hiking boots and poles, and then I was going on to Salt Lake City for a conference, so I needed to take appropriate clothes and shoes for that, plus my laptop. I took a lightweight foldable nylon backpack that I have which has side pockets for water bottles, and I brought my camelback water bottles and the bottle adaptor - that worked great! I attached the adapter tube to the bottle in the side pocket of my pack, and draped it over my shoulder, so I could take sips at will. I switched the adapter to my extra bottle when the first one was empty. DH didn't have an adapter, and he was envious of mine - he just had the regular camelback water bottles that he had to keep digging out when he was thirsty. We kept looking for somewhere to buy an adapter, but couldn't find one. So, if you don't want to spend the money to buy a camelback type backpack, the camelback water bottles and the adapter kit are a great alternative - and once you have the water bottles, I bet you'll use them frequently, as we do. Just make sure to get the kind with the flip-up bite valves, not the wide mouth screw-on tops similar to Nalgene bottles.

As for your camera - is it an expensive, large, SLR type camera, or a small point & click type? I wouldn't take a large, expensive camera into the narrows - although if you're willing to mostly keep it in a drybag and only take it out when you want to take a picture, that could work. But, if it's a smaller camera, here's a suggestion - I have a Dry Pak camera case which is just the right size for my small digital camera - it's designed for taking pictures underwater, if you want, it's safely submergible. I've done that, but mostly I use it as a nice protective dry bag for my camera when I'm at the beach, or kayaking. Here it is, once again at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/752383. There's a larger version, too, if this is too small for your camera. It will keep your camera safely dry, and you can even take pictures through it.

One last point - if your husband does go the route of putting gallon jugs in his backpack, be sure that the backpack at least has waist and chest straps, to help distribute the weight of all that water, or he'll quickly become pretty miserable. The advantage of the camelback backpack is that the water's weight is evenly distributed along your back, not sitting in the bottom of the pack, putting tremendous pressure on the shoulders. The disadvantage of my small nylon backpack was that it didn't have these, and the weight of my rain gear, snacks, lunch, etc. was annoying - I ended up improvising waist and chest straps to take some of the weight off.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

everyone..thank you so much for your advice. I was going to bring my expensive camera..plan to store it in a waterproof bag and only take it out when I have good footing. I can't wait for the Narrows!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM

The bottom line is that your drink more when you use a Camelbak (this is a GOOD thing in the desert). You need to count on at LEAST a gallon of water per person per day. Especially if you are coming from a place that has normal humidity. I carry 3 qts on my back, plus a qt before hiking, and I keep water in the car. (I live in SLC and backpack/hike the desert areas of Utah)
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM

for Bryce, we just carried bottled water in a back pack that included DSLR and snacks ... as we approached the trek out, we started lighting our load by handing out water to those that didnt have water, and there will be many ... have fun and wear some good hiking shoes !!