camelbak size

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camelbak size

My husband and I will be going to Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and anywhere else I can drag him through a two-week trip through Utah. Just turned 50 and we're planning to hike moderately--maybe 4 hr trip/day. Well, I'M planning that and I'm of the firm belief that She Who Is Willing To Read the Travel Books Gets to Make the Plans.

I want to get us a hydration backpack but am not really clear what the best size is--we just carry our trail maps and camera since we're not gone for long so I don't need a big pack otherwise. Is one two-liter pak enough for us both? Do I have to get one for each of us? If so, would two one-liter paks be better...please help, I can't deal with all these choices!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:53 AM

if you are going for a pack system, you should each have your own, i know alot of folks will say get the large pack but it depends on your hiking habits.

do you hike a lot? if so the larger size one each. I have a large but never fill it and never end up emptying. I also carry an 18 ounch water bottle on a hip carrier. there is no need to carry huge amounts of water around that you won't use.

that having been said, you should drink every drop, even if you are not thirsty
if you are only going on a 4 hour hike i am guessing you don't plan on doing more than about 8 miles round trip.

8 miles is borderline, esp. for canyonlands for the smaller pack. you really should carry more.

if you are not really going to do this all the time, i'd get the smaller pack and each carry an inexpensive water bottle. but you each should have your own.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:41 AM

Two liters of water for two people isn't very much for four hours. How much water do you usually consume during hiking??

I have two hydration packs, both made by Platypus -- and they're great products! I have two smaller Platypus water pouches, also. They're available at major sporting good stores. I like to freeze some water in the bladder, then add water, put the cap on, hook up and go.

Here's a little tip: I had a problem getting all the water out of the tubes over winter. For about $1.20 each, my husband bought some plumbing tubing and replaced the Platypus ones. Worked perfectly!

(Camelback is a brand name.)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:41 AM

I use a Camelbak MULE w/ a 100 oz bladder. It should be plenty, perhaps you would be better off w/ whatever model Camelbak makes that is slightly smaller. Make sure that you get one that has a wide opening in the pack to slide the bladder in. I had a Rogue once that caused cursing every time I put the water in.

Yes, you both should have one. Camelbak also makes a hip-mounted model aimed at women, since we carry our weight there anyway. I haven't tried it because I'm using mine for biking, but you might consider it.

You aren't going to want to fill it all the way up...it gets hard and bulky. I fill mine about 2/3 and have never consumed it all, I normally ride about 4 hours in hot SC. BUT, better safe than sorry. You will find that it's nice to have all the pockets. Not only for camera and maps, but you can stuff in a Powerbar, a Sawyer extractor, lip balm, lightweight jacket, etc. (weather in UTAH can make extreme changes. I went on one 8 hour ride in Park City that went from clouds to sleet to hot sun to scary lightning storm, to hot steamy sun)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM

Hi J,

I also use a Camelback MULE model. It's perfect for most of my hiking. I live in UT and drink A LOT of water when doing outdoor activities.

I put in some minimal 1st aid stuff, mini sunscreen, tissues, lunch and a windbreaker as long as the weather is good. If hiking really high altitude for longer distances, I need a bigger pack.

I can just barely squeeze in a fleece jacket if I don't carry lunch.

Don't underestimate the amount of water you need and do take at least snacks.

Have fun!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

I love this: "She Who Is Willing To Read the Travel Books Gets to Make the Plans."

When are you coming? Your hydration needs are going to be very different in October than in July (for example). I have an older 100 oz (3L) camelbak with a large interior zippered pocket, three small zippered pockets, and a mesh outside pocket. Like others said, I have a first aid kit, extra clothes, etc. stashed in there.

I would probably suggest you think about getting two 2 liter packs & fill them as necessary depending on the heat when you are there.

If you live near an R.E.I., and your trip isn't for a while, keep your eye on the clearance bins. I got a great price on a previous year's model once.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

I also own a Mule w/100 oz.
We bought several other CamelBaks at huge discounts online. We use them for cycling and for hiking. They're great for stadium-type events where you're allowed to bring one in.

I strongly recommend that you check :

www.jensonusa.com

www.pricepoint.com

www.campmor.com

Just for good measure, I would Google "camelbak 100 $". This should bring back some price info from the web.

Here's a biking site that has comparisons and reviews of Hydration Systems.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/water_carrier/

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM

I just recently bought the MULE (also for hiking in Bryce, Zion, etc in September)-- read several comments here on Fodors and had looked at it in local bike shops, decided it looked pretty good (with all those other pockets for stuff), and bought it from ebags.com. It was a closeout 2004 model (but is the same as our shops are still carrying) for $44.99 with free shipping. I thought that was a pretty good deal, considering regular price seems to be $69.99.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:36 AM

We bought 100 oz (3 liter) hydration packs and it was just barely enough water for 4 hour hikes in the middle of summer. We'd end up empty (but not thirsty!)
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:53 AM

Go to REI website. They are having a sale right now on two hydration packs. One is two liter and the other three. I just bought one over the weekend and they are half price. Made by Jansport. I have a Camelback for biking but I cannot get the plastic taste out of it. A minor complaint but if anyone knows how to get that taste out of it I would like to know. I rinse with mild soap and water after each use and have used their cleaning kit but to no avail.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:11 AM
mm

You should also be sure to carry excess capacity, just in case.

Also, be sure to START the hikes well hydrated. By the time you feel thirsty you're already stressing your body.

mm
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM

cgrk -- hey, I just read some of the reviews on the the website mentioned above -- and one reviewer said the following: "To remove the plastic taste from the bladder, fill it with 2 liters of Coca-Cola (not diet). Get all the air out so the Coke is touching the entire surface, including the hose. Let it sit 24-48 hours. Wash it out. Fill with water. Much better."
Might be worth a try!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:16 AM

Part Two of the directions is missing in the above.
"Do not allow the Coca-Cola to come into contact with your teeth. The Phosphoric Acid diminishes enamel, etc."
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

...dang, I missed that part. So sorry.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the tip on removing plastic taste. I will do it tonight.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM
mm

Regarding the plastic taste. I get that from my Nalgene bottles. Does the coke trick work for them also?

Thanks,

mm
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:37 AM

It wouldn't have to be only Coke, it could be anything with the acid listed above. This is the key. Check your pantry.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM

cgrk -- be sure to let us know if it works!
mm -- try it in your bottle, too, and let us know.
See? -- this why I like this forum -- you can learn good stuff!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM

I didn't read all 33 responses and this may have already been stated but the camelbak website has a questionairre to help you pick the right size/style for your needs. I found it very helpful.

Then I went to ebay and bought a new one for half price.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Travelsolo...

aren't you going to be there when we are? Sept 2-12? I think I remember you from a previous camelbak discussion!

We ended up getting our camelbaks from Amazon.com, and they were from Nashbar Bike something or the other. We got the 70oz. Lobo. We decided to each get one. There is a small pack on the back to carry a map, granola bars, etc...Not that big, and for someone who will not be walking for more than 2-4 hours, I think it will be fine.

Price was excellent.

less than a week til we leave! Can't wait.

~Karen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -