Tipping assistance please

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping assistance please

Hi, I'm not used to travelling in the US, and have booked my dream holiday to Vegas for April for 10 days. Can someone please give me some advice on tipping. It seems from the postings that most of my spending money will go on tipping staff. I am staying at the Bellagio with my fiance, and don't really need an upgraded room. To be honest, the price I am paying for the holiday, the room had better be good anyway! However, who and how much do I tip on a general basis. Also, the construction is worrying me. Should I ask for a lakeview room? Is it ok to ask to move if the room is not great? Who do I ask? Should I ask for a renovated room, or are they all ok now? Sorry to waffle, but I am getting a bit confused... Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Cassandra

I've topped another similar question for you. (Search on "tipping" to find it again if it gets lost).

From one response :
#15 to 20 per cent on meals depending on standard of service
# $1 for each piece of luggage carried by a porter
# 10 to 15 per cent of the bar bill to bartenders
# $1 to the rest room attendant
# $1 to the car park attendant
# $5 a night minimum to the chambermaid, more for stays over a week
# $10 to the bellhop for bringing you to your room with luggage
# 20 per cent of the bill to limousine drivers
# 15 per cent of the fare for taxi drivers depending whether or not they assist you with baggage etc.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM

$10 to the bellhop seems a lot unless he's dragging an elephant. $5 is plenty for a normal amount of luggage. Also $1 to the doorman if he gets you a cab and opens/closes the door. (If he just waves at a cab line and doesn;t help with the door the tip is optional.) If you use the concierge for a special service you should tip from $5 up (directions, maps and tour reservations are free), reservations for dinner or shows (especially hard to get ones) need to be tipped.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Any thoughts on the rooms, construction etc. Also, when tipping, how casually do I do it? Will they wait while i rummage in my purse for cash, do I slip it to them discreetly or just hand it over with a thank you. Never ending questions...
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Sorry, I can't comment on the construction or rooms, except to say that everyone who gets a lakeview room loves them!

I agree that $10.00 is too much for the bellhop to bring luggage. $5.00 is plenty. Most people tip $2.00 to the valet when they bring back the car. I would suggest keeping a pocket full of single dollar bills so you can tip everyone quickly. Some personnel are bold enough to have their hand out. They're waiting for it and want to keep the line moving.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Also, $5 per night for housekeeping is high. $2 is fine.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM

I agree that $2/day is fine for housekeeping for regular rooms. I generally tip $5 if I am staying in a suite with a kitchen that needs to be cleaned.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Sunnyboy

jooce:

Since you already know you are going to have to tip all those people keep your money handy. I always have my tip folded in my hand and I descretely give it to the person as they help me. Don't make a big fuss rummaging through your pocket or purse, you'll look to much like a "hick" who never visited the big city befor.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:09 PM

I don't wave the money around but there is no need to hide it either. And a "thank you" along with a cash tip is always approrpriate.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM
mp

NY Times travel section today has a big article about tipping quoting extensively from Fodors: www.nytimes.com
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Try for a lakeview room, you can't appreciate the difference until you experience the fountain show at night from your room (music on channel 31 of your TV).

The first time we stayed at the Bellagio, we were shown to a rear facing room, on a low floor, overlooking the parking lot at Ceasar's Palace. We quickly rejected that room and we offered to pay the difference for a lakeview room, we were upgraded free of charge. Since than we always book a lakeview room, one of the few hotel views worth paying for.

I believe all the rooms have been recently upgraded, but asked for one anyway.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:57 PM

The bellagio website offers ten nights in April at $1590 for a Deluxe Room and $2090 for a Deluxe Lakeview Room.

Ask all of your questions when you are checking in. Yes it is ok to ask all of those questions, esp. asking (i.e. politely demanding) to be moved if the room is not great.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:42 AM

You might check your hotel bill and see if tips for bellmen and maids is included per day. Some are now. Ask when you check in.