Search

tipping etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tipping etiquette

I usually like to stay in smaller boutique type hotels where the service is not as aggresive as in a bigger hotel which is where we spent last weekend. We tipped the bell boy who took our luggage from the cab to the desk. Then we tipped the person who took us and our bags to our room. Because it was not the type of room we had requested we had to tip the bell boy who took our luggage and us to our new room. We did not need all this assistance and we did not have heavy luggage but I felt obligated to use the services. What is the protocol and what is the proper amount to tip? I would like to know if others find this whole culture confusing and sometimes unecessary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
ita
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM

You're not required to use the bell services. Frequently when I travel on business I have only a carry-on and simply take it upstairs with me. Also, you don't have to tip the bellman who just takes your luggage out of the cab and to the bell desk - only the one who brings it up to or down from your room.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:26 PM

The bellman who takes the luggage out of the cab and to the bell desk might beg to differ! I'd love to hear other opinions about this. We often carry (wheel) our own luggage too--in part because there can be so many "points of contact" with bellmen.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM

I don't ever feel compelled to use the bell services when I am capable of taking my luggage myself so I always politely decline. I do however, always leave a tip for the housekeeper as I feel they provide a very valuable service and probably get fewer tips.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM

I travel on business a lot, and I always take my own luggage to my room, no matter what the type of hotel. Not so much to save tips, but because it's quicker that way. The only time I encounter a bellman is when I've checked my bag at the bell station after checking out, but before I'm ready to leave town. I then tip $1 per bag when I retrieve the luggage.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:02 PM
jor

I recently stayed at a convention hotel and brought my dog plus his colapsable pen and my own luggage. I tipped the bellman $5. Normally I would carry my own bags. I find tipping to be ackward.

Late that night I was walking my dog a few blocks from the hotel and the bellman happened to be in a car with a bunch of his friends partying on a Friday night. He pulled the car over and talked to me for several minutes. He was just being nice. He knew which day I was leaving which was a day he wasn't working. So I guess tipping may not be as artificial as it seems.