Tipping ? - Left Luggage at Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've arriving too early to check into my room in Venice and will leave my luggage with the front desk person. Sorry for the silly question ... but should I tip the person to whom I give the bag? If so, what is an appropriate amount?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM

I've done that often and have never thought about tipping for the service. But if you are staying at a five star place, perhaps they would expect it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ... sometimes, I'm just not sure about when to tip. A bit humbler than a 5-star hotel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:35 PM
ron

I don't tip in this circumstance either. If you tipped the person to whom you gave the bag, would you not also tip the person from whom you retrieved it? And then there are the other persons that may have guarded it in your absence.

If you want to tip, why not ask to have the bag delivered to room and give that person a couple of euro.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:41 PM

If they are just putting it at or behind the desk, I would not tip. However, if they call over a bellman to bring the bag into a storage room a distance away, I'd probably give a euro.
I've found, many times, the hotel tells me I can leave the luggage in the lobby, and they literally mean IN THE LOBBY! I feel a bit uncomfortable leaving it out there in public, but I guess it's standard practice.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM

I agree with the above comments, but I repeat -- maybe in a five star hotel they'd expect it. I've encountered VERY few bellman in European hotels of less than five stars.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:20 PM

I always thought you tip the guy who gets your luggage out for you, not the guy who puts it away.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM

Heather - I also tip when I pick the bag up not when I leave it.

Personal experience: I almost always tip anyone who's unfortunate enough to have to lug MY heavy bag up stairs! Four star hotels generally have bell hops, I always tip them. Three stars sometimes have, but often its the receptionist or management/owner that shleps luggage in smaller hotels, I usually don't tip management or owners. Size of tip depends on the establishment - I generally give 1-2 Euros per bag.

regards ...Ger
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
Intrepid

If YOU were putting someone's bag away in a storage room would YOU expect to be tipped for it? If the answer is "yes" then I would do so..if not, then don't.
Lots of things might be "expected" in any hotel, five stars or not..but I think one should tip based on what is DELIVERED, not what the establishment "expects."

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:35 AM

This brings up the interesting question about tipping. "To insure prompt service" or "thank you?" I'd want to make the guy happy who is hauling away my precious suitcase, just as much (and probably related to the fact) as I want to thank him for bringing it back!
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:18 AM

If the persons job involves storing your bag, then why tip them, don't they get paid for doing it?
I only tip for really exceptional service which is totally outside the call of duty.
Like a hotel receptionist that delivers a baby perhaps...;-)

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Just think about how much it would have cost you to put it in a storage locker. or the inconvenience of lugging it around. a few euro tip to the bellman. is priceless
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I leave the bags in my room and ask for them to be stored until I leave; never a problem. Since I don't know who will be picking the bags up from the room, it seems more sensible to give a good tip when I collect them; a Euro per bag at least I think. I mostly stay in 4 star hotels.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:33 AM

That's for leaving them at the end of the stay of course! When arriving, I do tip the person who takes the bags and stores them.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Italiano, I don't think that's a good comparison. I consider the option of leaving my luggage in storage at my hotel on check-out day to be part of what I am paying for at a hotel. I tip the person who handles it, yes, but it's standard to be able to do this and certainly not the bellman's decision but rather hotel policy.