A Tipping Scenario

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Tipping Scenario

Ok, here's the scenario. You drive up to the hotel - a bellman takes your bag from the trunk and places it on the sidewalk, the valet parks the car, another bellman takes the luggage to the hotel lobby where you are registering, another bellman arrives in your room later with your luggage. You ask the concierge for directions to the office you are visiting in 2 hours. You have an incoming fax delivered to your room. The thermostat is not working in the room so a requested engineer arrives and fixes it quickly. You find the room is not cleaned properly so, after reporting to front desk, you pick up your things and meet a security guard in the hallway who has been instructed to let you into another room on the floor. A bellman arrives with a new set of room keys. The quick meal you ordered through room service has arrived and there is a service charge included in the bill. The server forgot to bring the salad. Another server arrives with the salad. Another hotel employee arrives to refill the minibar. You leave for your meeting and have your car brought out for your departure.

Question: How many times have you tipped since you arrived and how much each time?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
bonniebroad

I would tip the valet who parks the car, the bellman who brings my luggage into the room, and the valet who brings my car to me when I leave for my meeting. $2.00 each time for the valet, and $1.00 per bag to the bellman.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:07 PM

i never tip people who are coming to correct problems. i would tip the bellman who brings up the luggage ($1 per bag), the one who brings my fax ($2)
and the valet who brings me my car ($3). Dpending on the person and hotel, Imight tip more.

Do some of you tip the valet when you get out of your car? I've never heard of that, but that's not to say it isn't done....
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM

You tip the bellman who brought your bags ($2 for a bag), the valet who brings your car around ($2), the bellman who brings your fax ($2) and the waiter who brings your meal (my understandng is the service charge goes to the hotel - not the waiter) 15% of the bill without tax/service (would have been more but for the forgotton salad).

If something is wrong and the hotel is fixing it you don;t tip. (But I do tip when I ask for more pillows, towels etc - unless there are none/unacceptable ones when you arrive.)
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:04 AM

Tip the bellman who brings your luggage to your room $1-2 per item.

No tip to the concierge for directions.

$2 for fax delivery

$2 for the valet who brings you the car.