How much would you tip for this?

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

How much would you tip for this?

Sorry if this is repetitive...I don't travel much and am confused by tipping etiquette. We have two kids so when we unload our car we may have 4 suitcases, 2 hanging bags and a couple of shopping bags. So, one guy unloads them from the car and then hands them off to a different guy who brings the luggage upstairs. Who do I tip (both?) in this scenario and how much? I just want to do the right thing and I'm confused by the luggage going through two sets of hands. Thanks so much.
Polly
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM

You tip the guy who brings it to the room. Depending on the hotel i would tip $10 - $20 plus in a more upscale place.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:52 PM

I tip the valet as described in the other thread and the guy that actually delivers it to the room $1/bag, but I, like you, am still confused what to tip the third guy that takes it from the car to the lobby.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I'd tip the one doing most of the work more. Maybe $8-$10. I'd give the guy unloading the car half that amount. That will keep both of them happy. You'll most likely see the guy who did the least amount of work each time you leave and arrive by car and he'll remember you and help you in and out of the car, or carry small packages that don't require a tip.

It really depends on the amount of work each one has to do as to how much you tip.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM

I figure $1-2/bag (not including the shopping bags) and give about a third to the guy at the front door and the rest to the bellhop, adjusted for whoever is nicer/friendlier. I split it down the middle if the doorman is also the garage valet. I just love a bellhop who shows you how to work the lights and climate control and fills your ice bucket.

If the garage valet is yet another person, if he's extra helpful, we tip him a few bucks, otherwise we tip the garage valet on the way out if he takes care of us promptly.

I'm a little curious about "Depending on the hotel i would tip $10 - $20 plus in a more upscale place." In my experience, in the more upscale places NO ONE hangs around with a wishful gratuity look and nearly all scamper off or even wave away your outstretched hand. Even more curious, the service provided by same is truly more conducive to "expressing your appreciation" most generously.

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Well I've stayed in dozens of upscale places - both here and in europe - and never has ayone refused a gratuity. And beleive me, when you're paying $500 a night for the room they do expect more than $1 per bag.

As for standing around looking wishful for a gratuity - no one should be doing that - don;t you have the tip ready for them when you arrive? Or at least say "wait a second" while you pull out your wallet.? You shouldn;t make them lurk about while you figure out what you're doing.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM
GoTravel

$1-$2 per bag unless the one of the bags are unusually large/heavy and requires a couple of people to haul.

If that is the case I'll throw in an extra $5.

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:32 AM

IMHO, anyone that tips US$20 for four bags is a rube
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Sorry, that sounds cruel, and that was not my intention.
$1-2/ bag is really a fine amount,
I might give the valet who unloads the car a fiver, and the bellman who delivers it to the room and hangs up the bags in the closet a ten.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

wow! thanks for all the replies! I'm going to have to write it all down to remember it! I appreciate the responses.
Polly
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:14 AM

What the porter/bellman "expects" is totally irrelevant...you tip them what you think it is worth. What you THINK it is worth is all that matters..not what someone "expects" and not what anyone else tips.

I've worked in this sort of situation and believe me, you take what you get and are happy about it.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:29 AM

CyberUK - sorry the OP indicated 4 bags plus garment bags and shopping bags - a whole pack of stuff. At $10 that would be only about $1 per item - hardly generous. And everything costs more at upscel places - room, meals, gym, etc - why should it be different for tipping? (By that standard a $200 dinner would be tipped the same as a $50 one.)
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM

What do you tip if the insist on taking your bags, eve if you protest?
I have 2 bags that I generally travel with and they both have wheels.
I DO NOT like someone to take my bags to my room as I am perfectly capable... even in a 500.00 night hotel.
I am usually in a hurry to get to a meeting, or to go to bed and inevitably the bellman takes too long.
At the Savoy last month, they just threw my bags in a big pile next to the door. I had to call down 3 times to get them to hurry up.
NO THANKS is what I am sticking with now.
I don't need, or want the help!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM

TxTravelPro, you are not alone. We do the same thing.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:21 AM
GoTravel

I don't give up my bags even if they insist.

Many a time I've gone downstairs in the depths of luggage hell to retrieve my luggage after it wasn't brought up the first time.

There are times when I can't stand to dick around with the bellhops.