Tipping when you pick up food

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping when you pick up food

Went to California Pizza the other night to pick up an order I placed. Should I have tipped? I did not, nor have I ever tipped when I pick up food, but I know many have the TIP container sitting next to the register.

So you guys tip for such things and if so, how much?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I don't tip for carry-out but I do for delivery. The tip containers are becoming very prevalent and in my opinion, often not justified. I even saw one at the exit of an AUTOMATIC car-wash, with not a soul in sight to do anything!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM

I tip for carryout if the person doing my order is a server who is also working tables. If it's a "McDonalds" type counter service, no tip. I detest those tip canisters and often leave a pamphlet on tip reporting requirements, as I'm sure much of those tip jar funds go unreported, and untaxed, unlike the money I'm pulling from my wallet.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM

There everywhere.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I think tipping is such a tricky topic. I generally don't tip for counter service, unless it's a place I go to often, like my coffee shop. I do tip for delivery but not always 20%. What I find difficult is how to know when to tip various service providers -- shampoo girl, things like that. I never want to insult anyone, ya know?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I have a hard time with that as well. I haven't completely been able to rationalize why tipping at a counter is now expected when it wasn't just a couple of years ago. Did something change?

Wait staff at a sit down restaurant often don't get mininmum wage and that's because it's a tipped position. Sorry, I'm generally not a conspriracy theorist, but is there some movement afoot to bring in a general expectation that these are tipped positions as well, and therefore don't need to be paid at least minimum wage? Somehow, I doubt that the prices would drop.

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM

We never tip when we pick up at a counter (ie Starbucks). I don;t understand why we should - if anyone can explain it in rational financial terms I would be happy to consider it.

We do tip for deliveries - 15% - 20% or more if they've come out in a downpour or a blizzard.

My only question is car services. Mostly they're couponed (for business) so obviously there is no tip. But occasionally we use for airports ourselves - and then I'm not sure - because most services are very cagey about telling you if the tip is included in the quote or not. I usually end up tipping - but not as much as a cab (maybe 15%) since they're not out hustling on the street for fares - I figure the work is a little easier.

Any thoughts onthat one.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM

I agree about not tipping at counters but tipping for delivery. What about tipping at a buffet where all the server does is get beverages? 15-20% seems way too much under those circumstances.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM

I've been to nice brunch buffets where the server is constantly refilling my water glass (OK, so I drink a ton of water), brings my other beverages, constantly replaces silverware, folds my napkin and clears my place each time I return (I believe in several trips of small plates in each "category"), and actually does more than the usual waiter does! So I tip plenty then. I think you always have to base it on what they do.

Starbuck's and similar places were bad enough, but hey, now they even have tip jars at the 7-11. What's up with that?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

So, it looks as if most DON'T tip when picking up food. GOOD! It's getting ridiculous!!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I don't tip at service counters...although I have in Vegas where it seems the percieved rules are different.

At buffets with normal service, I usually go $1 per person. The hair cutter gets $2-3 on a $12.50 haircut (male). The car drying guy gets a buck. I don't do pizza delivery. Pick up my own pizza, they must be kidding with a tip jar.....
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
GoTravel

I tip when I get takeout if they run the food out to my car but I don't tip as much as I would if I were sitting down.

I tip around $1 per entree. Granted, I'm not getting some complicated expensive entree from takeout.

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I do not tip when I pick up takeout food, even if it is from a restaurant with table service as well. Why should I tip the person who hands me a bag and a credit card slip to sign? Isn't that a bit much? Maybe we should start tipping the cook if the meal is particularly delicious?

And then there's tipping the pilot...
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM
GoTravel

........with a drunk monkey....

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:15 PM

nytraveler...Regarding the car service.Every car service I have used, domestic or international, the tip/gratuity is included in the rate quote....For example,in Dallas from the DFW airport to where I usually go, it's $58,includes taxes and 20%gratuity.Extras would be any tolls,parking or cell fone usage.I am free to tip more but I usually dont.Unless I tell the driver to make an intermediate stop along the way.I have found this to be the norm anywhere I would use a car service.I hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I rarely tip for take-out service. All they did was take the order and put in a bag for me. However, I have tipped in small places where they know me and I come in often...

Buffet tipping is only 10% with a minimum $1/per person. I say a $1 minimum, because it's not like you'd leave 60 cents for a $6 buffet bill... you'll round it up to $1.

I get around the Starbucks tipping because I buy a pre-paid card and always use that to pay... hahaha - no more tipping, because no more cash. Pretty funny, huh?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM

I usually tip at the ~o)coffee shop I visit most frequently because they sometimes give me coffee without charge and I would like to reward this behavior.$)
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM
jor

I tip jar sitting next to a pick up counter must be a regional thing. If I'm doing all the foot work they should tip me for freeing them up to collect tips from sit down customers.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM

I work weekends at a really nice sit down restaurant to help fund my travel addiction. Quite often we get phone orders for takeout. In that case I am required to place the order from the kitchen, put it (and all condiments) into take out containers, print the check and cashier the transaction when they arrive. It isn't as much work as waiting a table but it does add to my work load. All the hostess does is hand them the bag. I don't usually get a tip but sometimes I do and even a gesture type offering is appreciated since I am only paid 3.15 an hour. Hope this helps enlighten.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM

jaggirl, if I put a tip on my credit card slip in your establishment, would you get that money? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -