The Kimberly Hotel

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Kimberly Hotel

Is the Kimberly a good choice for first time visitor to NYC? I like clean comfortable room and hope this will be a good location for walking to a lot of places and to catch local transportation. I really don't want a BIG hotel and am looking for friendly ambiance. I will be visiting in early April. Thank you.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM

The Kimberly is a nice, relatively small hotel. The location is pretty close to the subway and conveniently located for sightseeing. I think you'll like it. Although it's on the east side, it's stil pretty central
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I like that neighborhood just fine - but I'm staying there for business. You will be convenient to some of the fanciest shopping in the world on Madison Ave (including Bergdorf, Saks 5th Ave, etc), and a short walk away from Rockefeller Center. You can take the Green line uptown to the Met and downtown to everything else. Other neighborhoods will have a much more vibrant nightlife but there will be some decent cafes to enjoy along Lexington, 3rd, and 2nd aves. Sorry I don't know anything about Kimberly's friendly ambience or lack thereof.

For a can't miss breakfast stroll up to Payard's Patisserie on Lexington Ave between 73rd and 74th. Gorge yourself on perfect little French cakes washed down with cappuchinos. Then walk back down to the hotel along Madison Ave to check out the boutiques.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Members of our family have enjoyed the Kimberly many times - it is just a bit removed from the chaos, which we have enjoyed on some trips - sometimes it is nice to be a bit removed from crowded sidewalks and the staff has always been extremely helpful and had great suggestions -
our other choice once a year when we meet up with other couples is the Michelangelo - which is just outside of Times Sq - more chaotic than Kimberly location, but a quiet hotel and also extremely accomodating with a nice piano/bar/snack area in the lobby which is a friendly place to chill.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM

I don't know if you realize the Kimberly is a suite hotel (or whether you need a suite hotel). It's a good place as others have said. The San Carlos is another suite hotel in the same general area that's a bit more up to date in terms of decor. The Affinia 50 is also in the same area and also suites. If you'd rather be on the west side closer to Times Square, the Blakely is a lovely small suite hotel. Blakelyhotelny.com

Compare prices for all of these on the hotels' own websites vs. quikbook.com
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM

McLaurie - So many people think that, but The Kimberly is not just a suite hotel, they also have guest rooms - ranging in price beginning around 250 night (ballpark) as well as the studio suites and on up ( 1 br, 2br, etc)
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM

SCannon: just a thought, you can also, when on the US board, type the words "Kimberly hotel" in to the search bar, and you will see many threads about the hotel, what people thought, etc if that helps you decide.

Likely you will see mentions of the decor, I know they have renovated some rooms, but there furniture , decor as a rule is not new/modern/light - it reminds me of a home, it is older, classic, conservative furniture, but that is what makes it like a home to me. But every room we have had has been immaculate and the staff always rememberd us at the end of everyday when we'd return. (but they do that at the Michelangelo also)

And they do have fabulous linens, if that matters to you

Also, if you haven't booked, I usually have my internet open to the hotel site, and speak to reservations and very often I get a better price than what is online, and also do not be afraid to ask for something -
such as, they may be offering free breakfast every morning for a period, and your reservation request is for after that period, but if you ask them can they include anything in your price, like breakfast, - well, you never know. This most often works in my favor, esp if they want your business.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for the helpful and informative input. The information helps me look forward to my 1st visit to NYC. That and the fact I've got tickets to a baseball game at yankee stadium! I date myself but Yogi Berra is one of my heros.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Have stayed at the Kimberly several times because a) we have relatives that live nearby and b) one of the few hotels where you can rent 2-bedroom apts.

Not hip and chic - Looks like it was decorated by someone's grandmother, but neighborhood is very central and you feel as though you have your own apt. Includes membership privileges to NY Health & Raquet Club next to Saks.

Staff is very friendly. They gave my kids child-size robes as a gift after one of our longer stays.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Sometimes, grandmother had better
decoration's tip than the " modern deco's tycoon"...
Erik.
Just to say : important is comfort and cleaness + quietness....
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Monpetit: "Sometimes, grandmother had better
decoration's tip"
how true !

SCannon: since you are such a baseball fan, I just thougth to also mention the tours of Yankee Stadium if that would interest you, info is on their web site. Some fans really enjoy that.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:16 AM

oh, and let us know where you end up staying, and whatyou do - a full trip report when you get back so we can read all about it
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM

A friend and I have reservaions at the Kimberly in mid-August, but we are worried about good air conditionings. Has anyone stayed there during summer and know if it has A/C and if so, is it window units or central air?

I also keep hearing that the two elevators "take forever" to arrive.

Any info would be appreciated!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Have you considered calling the hotel?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM