Please -- one more nyc hotel question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister called me today and she would like to go to NYC for a break between chemo so her times are pretty definite -- Oct 17 for 5 days. Finding a hotel is difficult and finding a reasonable price is even more difficult. At present, I have 3 possibilities and would welcome some more ideas

The Affinity Dumont has a studio for around $2250 for the 5 nights

The Red Roof Inn has a room for $250 a night plus taxes.

On the Ave has a room for $1,950 plus all the taxes.

What do you think of these or is there something else I should consider?

Would appreciate quick answers as rooms seem to be scarce.

thanks

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Another poster really liked the Affinity Dumont. Grab it quickly!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Gosh, you've given us 3 different prices and nothing else to go on. I can tell you the Affinia Dumont is an all suite hotel, most rooms have kitchens and seating areas and it's in a nice location. If she's not feeling well and doesn't want to go out and wants to order in, it's a good place to be. (It also happens to be very close to NYU hospital, fyi). On the Ave is also a nice hotel in a good location but it's a regular hotel room and their least expensive rooms are small. Red Roof is a budget hotel in a much more commercial location, but safe and apparently clean.

Without knowing what she plans to do, whether anyone is going with her etc., it's hard to advise.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM

My mom and I loved the Affinia Dumont. It is an all suite hotel - the smallest rooms are studio suites, which come with a king or two queens, a small kitchen and a bathroom. The room itself was pretty good sized. We found the hotel very accommodating - they honored a request made via email.

The only downside is it's a bit of a walk to the subways in Herald Square. Taxis are plentiful, however.

I hope you and your sister have a great time!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I would do On the Ave. Very pretty hotel and great neighborhood; busy - but not frantic like midtown. And with lots of great inexpensive local restaurants - as well as near Central Park and several major museums. And 2 subway lines to reach other parts of the city very quickly.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM

ditto NY traveler advice. I don't like Herald square area, will only go there for yearly Macy's flower show. Its crowded, cranky and stuffed with chain store shopping and eating options. So much soot in the air there too. Probably the same amount of soot as the rest of the city but somehow it is more visable in that area.

Having said all that, if you did not live around it you might like it. A lot of people coming from calm country environments might get excited by sharing the sidewalk with 1000 people. I would myself send people to the upper west side hotel mentioned by nyctraveler, much more charming area, central park is great to stroll even in October. Get dates for Marathon that is a great event in the park...very inspiring to hear the cheers from crowd.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks We are going to stay at the Affinia Dumont!