Search

mclaurie

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mclaurie

hello again..as you are helping me so much i want to sum up all the information i have in case you can help me...
I now realize ny IS expensive those dates...and that having been to the palace the last 3 times doesn't help...
I think there's a room at the mercer for 570, at the chambers for 600 at the iroquois for 520, at the intercontinental for 569, at the hemsley for 450, and I could go on...(all of them on standard rooms)I love the rokefeller area, but i'm willing to try the soho (can you go walking to the rokefeller?) As you can see I'm a bit mixed up and don't really know whre to go (I was almost decided on the iroquois but some reviews on the tiny bathrooms and poor service I red on tripadvisor are backing me off)
My husband stayed with his company on the intercontinental (a suite) and liked it, but not sure how a standard would be..
Ps. it's sad to pay such a lot of money whan in another dates I could go to the 4 seasons for that price...
what do you think??
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
GoTravel

carlota, breath in, breath out, and step away from the computer.

You are way overthinking this hotel room.

Of your choices, I would go with the Iroquois.

When you check in, have the hotel front desk person inspect the room with you. That way if you are unhappy with your room, you can get an immediate response.

Good luck!

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM

You can't walk from Soho to Rockefeller Center. Well, you could, but it's far. I gave you the following ideas on another of your threads that you might not have seen, all of which around $500

>the Lucerne (upper west side--suites available for under $500))
>Hotel Giraffe (boutique hotel known for service in the Gramercy area)
>Sofitel (midtown--very convenient to theater and Fifth Ave. requires pre payment)
>60 Thompson (in Soho)
>San Carlos (an all suite hotel in midtown not far from the Waldorf. A 1 bedroom suite is $500)

The Intercontinental is a lovely hotel not far from the Palace and the same sort of big grand hotel. I don't think I'd want to pay $569 for it though.

I think you should look at the Sofitel if you don't mind prepaying with no cancellation. The price on quikbook is very good, the rooms are lovely. It's on the same street as the Iroquois but rooms are nicer.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Well, no one asked me, but I agree with mclaurie on this one. The Sofitel has nice rooms and it's an excellent location, so you should try it first. I like the Iroquois, but the rooms are on the small side, and I'm concerned you'll be too disappointed after staying at the Four Seasons, which has some of hte largest regular rooms in NYC; however, the location is good. But you'll probably find small bathrooms in almost every hotel on this list. The Chambers is very inconvenient, so I'd steer you away from that one. And most of the Helmsley hotels are just ok and have nothing to recommend them except the prices.

You know, you might be able to get a suite at the Hotel Giraffe for just a bit more than the Chambers if you want to go a bit above $600 a night. And those suites are sweet and some even have little balconies.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks mclaurie&doug. If you had the chance for exactly the same price to go to the sofitel (the most standard room) or the mercer 3rd type beginning from the bottom. Both with queen size bed (is it much smaller than the king size one? In spain you usually dont find that difference at hotels)Which one would you stay at?? 7 nights are A LOT of nights to be staying at a hotel in which you are not so happy with...
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM

There is a 16-18" width difference between a queen and a king bed. A queen bed is 60" wide. To some people (especially large people) it makes a huge difference. I don't know about Spain, but a queen bed here in the US is equivalent to what they call a king in the UK.

There are over 100 "candid travelers photos" posted here
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

many of them showing queen sized beds, the rooms at the Sofitel, the views etc.

As you already know, the location of the 2 hotels is totally different and I think that would matter to you more than the hotel itself. Do you know Soho? Are you planning to do any theater? If yes, the Sofitel would be more convenient. The Sofitel is near Fifth Ave. in midtown not far from the Palace but it's a much smaller hotel without a grand lobby. It's on a block with a number of other hotels (the Iroquois for one). It's the safer choice. The Mercer might give you a more different experience. It's great for boutique shopping and dining in trendier places.