Search

Hotel in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in NYC

I'm looking to find lodging on June 22 and 23, will need 2 rooms minimum (my husband and I and 2 sons, ages 14 and 10 and an 18 year old female/foreign exchange student) I thought a trip to the city would be fun before she returns to Turkey. I would like to spend no more than $250 per room per night.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I would also consider staying in NJ, should anyone know of a hotel close by? This would probably keep the cost down considerably!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone dealt with the bed and breakfast network?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM

We just got back from five nights at Hotel Beacon on 75th and Broadway (Upper West Side). The rooms are large and have little "kitchenettes." It's a really cool neighborhood, and there's Fairway grocery across the street that's open until 1 a.m. We stocked our little fridge with juice, sodas, snacks, etc. There's a nice subway stop nearby, too.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:06 AM

lbaketoo:

Milburn hotel www.milburnhotel.com is in the same area as the Beacon hotel and may work for you.

The Envoy Club www.envoyclub.com located mid town would offer you a two bedroom suite with kitchen - www.envoyclub.com

We have stayed at both of these hotels and they met our needs. If you are looking for perks like room service these are not choices for you.

You can read reviews on hotels at www.tripadvisor.com and you need to book soon. New York is expensive and your budget may be a bit on the low side.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Sandy
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM

www.affinia.com are a group of all suite hotels. Some of them have 1 bedroom suites with 2 double or queen beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room. This would be ideal for you and boys. Get a guest room or studio for the exchange student. The Shelburne Murray Hill seems to fit your budget (although hotel tax in NYC is another 15%).

If your sons can share a sofabed, the Residence Inn Times Square is relatively new and is $199/night per room for a queen bed and a queen sofabed. The rate includes free continental breakfast and the rooms have full kitchens.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM

If you go with the Shelburne Murray Hill, check prices on quikbook.com They seem to have a better price for a studio suite but require prepayment and not cancellable.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Heard about these -

Hotel Mela for $169/night. The Affinia 50 for $199/night via Hotels dot com.

Good luck and welcome to NY.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM

You could try the 1871 House at Lexington and 62nd. Cute, great neighborhood, and you can probably find a room for around $250. But it is a B&B so you will have to give a deposit, and you won't be able to cancel. You may be have trouble booking for so many people on such short notice, as the hotel is very small.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou everyone for your help! I tried all the suggestions and have found a suite at the Shelburne Murray Hill, the others were full. 1871 House needed 4 nights
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM

ibaketoo - Well done, you found the Shelburne Murray Hill with just a short lead time.

This hotel is on my short list of places to stay when we visit out son and his wife who live in NYC. I'd love to hear from you as to how it all works out.

Best wishes for a terrific visit.

Sandy
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

The hotel was perfect for our family of 5, thank you for the help! We headed out later than I anticipated from NH...Bubba Gumps for dinner in Times Square, it was a suggestion by a friend who felt my exchange student would like it. Actually tourist trap and all, it was an excellant meal and she loved it! Breakfast at Payard, always heaven and I love the fact that no one glares at you for your table! We took the Circle Line ride around Manhatten, the guide spoke for almost the whole 3 hours, and he was actually entertaining and informative! My friend who was our "tour guide" then rode us around, much to the unhappiness of my husband who really wanted to park the car and go out and walk! (And he has an artificial leg!)
Headed to the Carnigie Deli for a late lunch/ early dinner, I was in sticker shock...$21 for a rueben!!! On Sunday we went to Baltazar for brunch, there my boys were in shock, our delicious breakfast cost us $165, and my husband told them this is why we don't live in NYC! We then headed to the Natural Museum of History, where we looked for all things "Night At The Museum."
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM

No need to be in sticker shock in NYC - you just headed to the wrong places (at least money-wise). As a New Yorker myself - you really don't believe that I would spend that amont of money on breakfast!! Hope Balthazar was delicious (it should be at those prices).

Instead of the Carnegie Deli - next time you're in the theater district, go to the Edison Cafe in the Edison Hotel. Huge portions, yummy, and very very moderate prices.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM

But ... the sandwiches at Carnegie Deli are so huge, we order extra bread, make two big sandwiches ... and still have some leftover.

Only the Carnegie Deli virgins order a whole sandwich, meal, side order, or dessert for one person. So, when you look at it that way, it's not very expensive at all.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM

ibaketoo:

So glad to hear the Shelburne Murray Hill worked out for the five of you.

The brunch at Baltazar was expensive. We usually get our breakfast at one of the diners along with the locals.

Did your foreign exchange student enjoy New York?

Sandy
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Our exchange student had a wonderful time, she returned home this past friday... Breakfast was expensive and I knew it would be, but it was a fun experience for everyone. I think Fodor's is a great place to find good travel information and I look forward to our next adventure. Possibly a trip to Turkey, I am looking into it now!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM

When in New York ==> Try the Pizza!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I do know the average New Yorker does not spend those prices for food...it was a special treat and one my family enjoyed and can laugh about!