Mercer Hotel

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercer Hotel

Sorry to bother you guys again...I just want to make sure the Mercer is really worth it...I don't like really modern hotels (for example I didn't like the cliff in San Francisco: the bathrooms were tiny and you could hear your neighbours perfectly)
We'd go to a standard studio, so I'd like to hear the opinion of anyone who's stayed at one of them...
thanks again!!!!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM
GoTravel

If you don't like modern hotels, why are you looking at The Mercer? While it isn't stark modernism, it isn't French Provincial either.

If I were you, I would look at some of the more traditional hotels like the Carlyle or St. Regis.

I can't tell you if it is worth it. Would I stay there? Yes.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I looked at rooms in the Mercer several years ago when I was working on an NYC guidebook, but I didn't stay in the hotel. However, my impression was that while the decor was modern minimalist, it was actually rather traditionally appointed, especially in the bathroom. But I did not see a studio.

The thing you should remember is that the Clift Hotel in SF is actually a grand old hotel, not a modern hotel, so your experience proves that the age of the building doesn't necessarily equal thick walls and quiet.

I'd just warn you that if the studios face Prince Street, that's a particularly busy block and has street vendors there all day as well as a lot of foot traffic in the evening. You seem to be sensitive to noice, and you might get some there. Though the hotel's location is very convenient.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

yes, the studios face prince street, so you're probably right and they will be very noisy...
what do you think of the new york Hemsley??
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:35 AM

The NY Helmsley is the opposite of the Mercer. It's big, impersonal, There are several hotels in NYC with the name Helmsley and this is fine, but certainly nothing fancy. Go to
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

and have a look at the "candid travelers photos"

As I recall, you're coming the first week in Dec. I had a look on quikbook.com and here are the hotels I'd consider for around $500 +/-

>The Lucerne (upper west side--suties available for under $500))
>Hotel Giraffe (boutique hotel known for service in the Gramercy area)
>Sofitel (midtown--very convenient to theater and Fifth Ave. requires pre payment)
>60 Thompson (in Soho)
>Hotel Mela (a BRAND new hotel right near Rockefeller Center in midtown)
>San Carlos (an all suite hotel in midtown not far from the Waldorf. A 1 bedroom suite is $500)

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Made one big mistake. The Hotel Mela is indeed new (I don't think it's opened yet) but it's not near Rockefeller Center. It's on west 44 st. and may not be to your liking. I confused it with the brand new and already opened Rockefeller Center Hotel.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

That hotel is worth checking.
http://www.rockefellercenterhotel.com/contactUs.asp