Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY: Mercer or doubletree metropolitan???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one do you prefer? the mercer is in soho, which is a "chic" area, but the metropolitan is right in the middle of everything!!! I think (by their websites) that the mercer is better, but not sure...
any suggestions??
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:25 AM

The Doubletree Metropolitan is a run of the mill hotel with average rooms (small bathrooms) in midtown east. When you say "in the middle of everything," tourists usually mean Times Square and it's not in Times Square. It is a convenient location, but there are a lot nicer hotels in that same area. I'd say this is a mid to budget hotel.

The Mercer is a small boutique hotel in Soho that attracts celebrities. They can't possibly be the same price. All things being equal, I'd pick the Mercer. HOW did you come up with these 2 options?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM

Just went back to your first post and refreshed my memory. Go to the Mercer if it's available. It will be a different experience for you and the shopping is fun in Soho. The Metropolitan will be a real disappointment after the Palace.

If you're concerned about being that far downtown, the Giraffe is a small boutique hotel known for great service just south of midtown. It's available on quikbook.com for $450/night first week in Dec. (I checked Dec. 1-5)

The San Carlos which I mentioned earlier, near the Palace has a 1 bedroom suite (like an apartment) for $500/night (plus tax). The Sofitel, very well regarded hotel near the theaters has a special on quikbook for an average $500/night but it requires prepayment and no cancellations.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

is quikbook reliable?? I usually prefer to book directly to the hotels or via agency...I see that it's way cheaper than directly!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
GoTravel

Quikbook is very reliable. So reliable in fact that when I checked into a hotel that was sub par, I called them and they immediately moved me to another hotel no questions asked.

My vote goes for The Mercer. I think the location is better but first time tourists to Manhattan may not. I try and avoid the heavily populated areas of Midtown.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

do you know if its safe to send my credit card number by mail (to the hotel directly and not via one of the reservation websites)??
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:24 AM

By mail? Do you mean email? Why not just phone them?
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

if you email them at [email protected] and they need a credit card number, is it safe to give it to them by mail??
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Neopolitan

Over the years I've given my credit card number by email at least a thousand times and never had a problem. There is never a guarantee, but I feel that's a whole lot safer than when I give my card to a waiter in a restaurant who disappears with it for a few moments.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

you're probably right!!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:49 AM

I still wonder why not phone them?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Neopolitan

Phone them? What's a phone? Oh, yea, you mean one of those funny little old fashioned instruments where you can talk to someone one on one. I remember those! Yes, often it will work better than a computer and you can resolve more issues that way.

LOL

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

It's not so easy when it's not your mother language and the difference of hours doesn't help...
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Neopolitan

carlota, if you have typed the above messages, I can't imagine a phone conversation in English being a problem.

Hours? Where are you? I've never had a problem picking a time to call just about anywhere in the world. It may mean that I get up at 6 AM to call them late in the day or I stay up until 11 PM to call them, but there ought to be some logical overlap of hours.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

don't get me wrong!!I speak english, but trying to book things I've often had "misunderstandings" so I prefer to have everything written...
do you know what is the time difference between spain and nyork??
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Neopolitan

5 hours. Call New York at 3 or 4 in the afternoon Spain time and it will be 10 or 11 in the morning in New York -- perfect.

I do understand the language concern -- but one option is to make sure they fax or email you a confirmation in writing that you can print off to be sure. That should always be done with a phone call.