Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NY: Mercer or doubletree metropolitan??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ny-mercer-or-doubletree-metropolitan-646204/)

carlota Sep 12th, 2006 11:25 PM

NY: Mercer or doubletree metropolitan???

Which one do you prefer? the mercer is in soho, which is a "chic" area, but the metropolitan is right in the middle of everything!!! I think (by their websites) that the mercer is better, but not sure...
any suggestions??

mclaurie Sep 13th, 2006 03:25 AM

The Doubletree Metropolitan is a run of the mill hotel with average rooms (small bathrooms) in midtown east. When you say &quot;in the middle of everything,&quot; tourists usually mean Times Square and it's <i>not</i> in Times Square. It is a convenient location, but there are a lot nicer hotels in that same area. I'd say this is a mid to budget hotel.

The Mercer is a small boutique hotel in Soho that attracts celebrities. They can't possibly be the same price. All things being equal, I'd pick the Mercer. HOW did you come up with these 2 options?

mclaurie Sep 13th, 2006 03:36 AM

Just went back to your first post and refreshed my memory. Go to the Mercer if it's available. It will be a different experience for you and the shopping is fun in Soho. The Metropolitan will be a real disappointment after the Palace.

If you're concerned about being that far downtown, the Giraffe is a small boutique hotel known for great service just south of midtown. It's available on quikbook.com for $450/night first week in Dec. (I checked Dec. 1-5)

The San Carlos which I mentioned earlier, near the Palace has a 1 bedroom suite (like an apartment) for $500/night (plus tax). The Sofitel, very well regarded hotel near the theaters has a special on quikbook for an average $500/night but it requires prepayment and no cancellations.

carlota Sep 13th, 2006 05:36 AM

is quikbook reliable?? I usually prefer to book directly to the hotels or via agency...I see that it's way cheaper than directly!!!

GoTravel Sep 13th, 2006 06:58 AM

Quikbook is very reliable. So reliable in fact that when I checked into a hotel that was sub par, I called them and they immediately moved me to another hotel no questions asked.

My vote goes for The Mercer. I think the location is better but first time tourists to Manhattan may not. I try and avoid the heavily populated areas of Midtown.

carlota Sep 15th, 2006 01:55 AM

do you know if its safe to send my credit card number by mail (to the hotel directly and not via one of the reservation websites)??

mclaurie Sep 15th, 2006 03:24 AM

By mail? Do you mean email? Why not just phone them?

carlota Sep 15th, 2006 04:50 AM

if you email them at [email protected] and they need a credit card number, is it safe to give it to them by mail??

Neopolitan Sep 15th, 2006 05:20 AM

Over the years I've given my credit card number by email at least a thousand times and never had a problem. There is never a guarantee, but I feel that's a whole lot safer than when I give my card to a waiter in a restaurant who disappears with it for a few moments.

carlota Sep 18th, 2006 01:20 AM

you're probably right!!

mclaurie Sep 18th, 2006 02:49 AM

I still wonder why not phone them?

Neopolitan Sep 18th, 2006 04:26 AM

Phone them? What's a phone? Oh, yea, you mean one of those funny little old fashioned instruments where you can talk to someone one on one. I remember those! Yes, often it will work better than a computer and you can resolve more issues that way.

LOL

carlota Sep 18th, 2006 05:55 AM

It's not so easy when it's not your mother language and the difference of hours doesn't help...

Neopolitan Sep 18th, 2006 06:00 AM

carlota, if you have typed the above messages, I can't imagine a phone conversation in English being a problem.

Hours? Where are you? I've never had a problem picking a time to call just about anywhere in the world. It may mean that I get up at 6 AM to call them late in the day or I stay up until 11 PM to call them, but there ought to be some logical overlap of hours.

carlota Sep 18th, 2006 07:12 AM

don't get me wrong!!I speak english, but trying to book things I've often had &quot;misunderstandings&quot; so I prefer to have everything written...
do you know what is the time difference between spain and nyork??

Neopolitan Sep 18th, 2006 07:32 AM

5 hours. Call New York at 3 or 4 in the afternoon Spain time and it will be 10 or 11 in the morning in New York -- perfect.

I do understand the language concern -- but one option is to make sure they fax or email you a confirmation in writing that you can print off to be sure. That should always be done with a phone call.