NYC- HOTEL HELP w/ Location

May 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

NYC- HOTEL HELP w/ Location

Folks- I am reposting b/c I didn't put NYC in title first time, so pls forgive the duplicate. I wrote months ago trying to get help planning a trip for my husband and daughter (8) who are going to NYC in July. Many people said to stay in UWS b/c it's quiet and classy- both of which sound great. But besides the Lucerne, couldn't find good reviews on hotels (other than Trump). Hubby likes nice boutique hotels (we stayed at the Library w/o kids and loved it and Hotel Giraffe looks great but location seems iffy). Assuming he can find a good deal on hotels.com b/c it's summer, I need recs for other n'hoods besides limiting search to UWS. He is taking her to Stomp Friday night at Orpheum, and Lion King Sat. at Minskoff. Should I look in midtown? They might take ferry to Ellis Island, but also plan to check out Central Park in the morning before it's too hot. Also need good recs for one casual dinner and one nice dinner, ideally close to each theater. Thanks!

May 23rd, 2006, 04:17 PM

I guess I don't understand why he wouldn't look in midtown? I know some like staying there, and some prefer someplace quieter, but I can't think of any reason that it would be particularly bad to stay there. If he finds a good hotel at a good price in that neighborhood, why not?

Also, unless you really just don't have the time to search, why limit yourselves to what is on hotels.com? Many smaller, boutique hotels are probably more likely to not participate with a large booking service, so he could be missing out on many hotels that would suit his tastes perfectly. Searching here and on trip advisor should give lots of suggestions for most budgets in most locations.
May 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM

I would also look at Central Park South - and most of midtown is OK as long as you're not right on top of Times Square.

It's just that with an 8 year old I would want to be somewhere near either a park or a playground.
May 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM

Did you look at Beacon, On The Ave ,Milburn on Upper wesr Side?
May 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM

NOT the friendliest hotel but I have stayed at the Excelsior twice because of the good sized rooms and location (also UWS). By not friendly, I mean, not very helpful so if you need lots of personal attention, it's not the hotel for you. Have also enjoyed my stay at the Casablanca which is near Times Square - lovely small hotel with a great breakfast (included in price), and coffee, tea, latte are available all day and night in their "great Room" which has comfy couches, big TV, newspapers,etc.
Can recommend Cesca's on (W 79th I think) for a nice dinner but again it is UWS. Isn't close to theatre district but there was no problem hailing a cab to get there.
May 24th, 2006, 03:02 AM

On the Avenue (ontheavenuehotel.com) is nice but I think 2 bedded rooms there are pricey. On that point, many of the boutique hotels in NYC have small rooms and some don't have 2 bedded rooms.

I agree, hotels.com is not the only place to look. I prefer quikbook.com and sometimes the hotels' own site offers the best deal. It's always worth checking travelzoo.com if your trip is near. There are currently some very good deals there, esp. for weekends. The Shoreham is a nice "boutique" hotel in midtown with an offer there and the Shelburne Murray Hill offer at $179 is very good.

I think given the high prices of hotels in NYC and the wonderful public transportation, these days, it makes more sense to pick a good hotel deal and worry less about "neighborhood."

There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood around the Giraffe. It's just south of midtown in the Gramercy Park area. Lots of good restaurants around there.

The Casablanca is also owned by that same group and is near but not right in Times Square. That's probably where an 8 yr. old would most like to be. The Doubletree Guest Suites IN Times Square is very popular with families. You get a separate livingroom and bedroom. The Rihga Royal is another suite hotel currently in renovation so prices are very good (and reports are you don't hear the noise but there's no restaurant in the hotel).

As to dining, here are previous posts for places near STOMP. I think all of these places are casual.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34762544

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34467712

The Acme Bar & Grill is fun for Cajun/southern food. (casual)

John's pizzeria is very near the Minskoff and popular with families. Very good pizza in a converted church. If they want something nicer, might be a good idea to eat near whichever hotel they chose.
May 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

MCLAURIE- thanks for all the great info. I have chosen the Sofitel for them to stay at. 2 beds not crucial since she's only 8 and seems like a great location and great hotel. I checked out the Stomp restaurant link and put it on the info sheet I'm making for hubby. We ate at John's pizza before seeing a show 2 years ago-if they want pizza that's a safe bet. Thanks again.