Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a nice hotel for 15th anniversary getaway weekend in NYC-- Manhattan

Search

Looking for a nice hotel for 15th anniversary getaway weekend in NYC-- Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway to NYC in late March for our 15th anniversary. We have been to NYC before, but not for about 8 years. This is our first time away from children together so we want an upscale and nice hotel. We would like to spend between 200-300 a night. We will walk and use the subway to get to museums and shows (and THE STRAND!), but want to be in a place that makes us feel "special"... not at all like we skimped. Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM

The Sofitel is a great hotel in a terrific location. I highly recommend staying there. Check their website for possible deals. Also join Sofitel Privilège Card -- it's free and gets you some perks right away.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
TC

We recently stayed at the Blakely Hotel. Its a lovely boutique property with a great location. With a good central location, it is within walking distance of Central Park, the Upper East or Upper West Side and even the theater district, although we took the subway. There is very easy access to two subways within about three blocks. Lots of good restaurants in the area as well. The king rooms are spacious with a sitting area and a small bar containing a micro, fridge, sink, coffee maker, and a few dishes in the entrance. The bath was large. The staff is marvelous. I believe you can book this hotel for about $250 per night on Quickbook.com for a March stay.

Happy Anniversary!

www.blakelynewyork.com/

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I heartily endorse both the recommendation you've gotten so far. If you care to share the specific dates I could do some checking for you on quikbook.com

If you intend on spending a lot of time in museums, you might want to consider the Surrey on the upper east side in walking distance of the Met, the Frick, the Whitney etc. It's one of the all suite Affinia.com hotels

Another midtown option is the Elysee hotel, a smaller boutique hotel that's very nice. The same co. also owns the Girafe, known for very good service, which would be closer to the Strand.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM

The Casablanca.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU for all of your help. We are going to be staying at the Sofitel. I am very excited and can't wait... now if I could only find an accela discount code...
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Don't know from where you're traveling, but here's some Amtrak discount code info.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460735
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Sorry, here's info for 2007
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625507
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM

The Marriott Marquis in Times Square is wonderful. I also love the Hyatt in Grand Central. Both have easy access to major attractions and close to many excellent restaurants.