Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with mid priced hotel, NYC, near theater district...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For two women? I am thinking of taking my OD in June for theater and museums.

We want safe, comfortable, maybe a three star? For a few days, end of June. Don't need luxurious, just nice beds, clean, safe, with a few amenities like 24 hour front desk and convenient location. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Can you give a ballpark price?
Every January we stay at the Michelangelo, good location, excellent staff, 24 desk, free internet, helpful with reservations, info, etc - great lounge/piano/continental breakfast and late night snacks -
We have also enjoyed the W Union Sq, but that is not convenient for theater, and neither are the other hotels we usually stay at b/c often we are trying to stay closer to my daughter who is not near the theater.
Kimberly Hotel is another old time favorite of ours, rooms start around 250 there.

If you plug "affordable nyc hotels" into the search bar there are a zillion threads that will come up with great info on this -
affinia hotels is one that is mentioned often, and there are others but I can not remember their names.
good luck !
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM

We have stayed at the Hilton on Ave of the Americas. It has everything you need, great location, and the price was around 250 a night. I have heard great things about the Affinia.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I'd suggest going to some of the travel websites like www.hotels.com so you get an idea of what the rates are for your dates of travel.

Also I can suggest the Big Apple Inn on 8th Ave as a good choice, close to lots of restaurants and a few blocks away from the Times Square area
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

I would say around $250 or less. Walking distance from theater would be nice. But we could grab a cab if there are other wonderful hotels in the mid price range. We would only do the theater maybe twice so that wouldn't break us.

We stayed at the Carnegie Suites on 58th last time we went and really like it. They gave us a huge room with a kitchette which we didn't request. It was nice hotel with good beds and a continental breakfast, but don't really need the breakfast amenity as long as we are close to delis and other shops...
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
GoTravel

Heavens, this hotel gets iffy reviews but The Milford Plaza right around the corner from MTV fits your criteria.

I had a clean room, decent sized, very clean, and decent furnishings.

Also try The Salisbury Hotel.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM

For June $250 per night is distinctly a budget hotel. You might look at the applecore group of hotels that get decent reviews in that categoty. Or - you could have a look at Priceline - but bid only 4* - since some that are rated at 3* are not very pleasant.

Also - you might try Travelzoo in a couple of weeks to see if they offer any specials. Those listed now end in May at the latest. They may get more later - or - June may be too busy for hotels to have to offer specials.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't look like we'll get a hotel for under $250 at the end of June, is that right?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Yes there are hotels that will come close to your budget. Have you done www.hotels.com yet? Or any of the travel websites. Check all of those for suggestions.