Help with NYC hotels?

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with NYC hotels?

We're planning to go to NYC for the first time in February. We're going for a convention at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in the Toy District. I'm not sure how long we'll stay, but the dates for the convention are Feb 12-15. Not sure if we would go everyday or when we would arrive and depart.

Since we've never been to NYC, we would probably try to see the World Trade center area, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, the Stock Exchange, and 5th Avenue. I'd love to shop, but again, I'm not sure if we'll have time. It would be neat to see a Broadway show, but I don't know how hard it is to get tickets. Not sure if we would have time to do all that. If not, we'll do it another time.

I'm not familiar with NYC at all. Do you have any hotel recommendations? I would like a clean hotel in a safe area. It doesn't need to be the Ritz Carlton, but I don't want a Days Inn either. We want to be close to the convention, but I don't know what kind of area it's in. What area should we stay in? I'm sure hotels are expensive, but I have no idea how much I should expect to spend. How much?

I'll ask about restaurants, etc. later. I would like to find a hotel first.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention this, but it will be my husband and myself on the trip. We are in our 20s/30s.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM

ufgator,

I noticed from other posts that you are from South Florida. A rough rule of thumb for a NYC hotel is that it will be about twice the price of of Miami beachfront hotel and about half the square footage.

The area right around the convention center is NOT the most desrable area to stay in.

For a first time visitor, the greater Times Square area and Midtown West (between 42nd and 52nd St. and between 5th and 9t Ave.) is a good choice. It's an easy walk, subway, bus, or cab to the convention center. There are MANY, MANY hotels within this zone. One well located, budget place I like is the Broadway Inn - http://www.broadwayinn.com

Of course, you may have a bigger budget (what is it?) and there are tons of other options.

DON'T SKIP seeing a Braodway show! There are hundreds of shows playing and only the 5 most popular or so will be sold out. Look right now to see what interest you and consider getting tickets. If you want to be flexible, then get some tickets at Times Square on te day of the show when tey are half price.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
MaureenB

I recently reserved a King room at the Park Central Hotel, on 7th near 58th (I think) for just $160/night through Expedia, for early January. Friends said it would be a great area for walking, shopping, eating, safety, site-seeing, etc. It looked like a nice hotel on their website. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the trip, so never got to see it. Have fun in NYC.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM

we stayed at the Michaelangelo On W. 57th and loved it. The location was great and the rooms were big for N.Y. They have a continental breakfast in morning with great Italian pasteries. We would definetly stay there again.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:15 AM
rqf

The toy district is in the area of 5th Ave. and 23rd St. The convention center s in the mid 30's and 11th Avenue - more than one mile away. There aren't any decent hotels in the immediate area of the convention center. A convenient place to stay would be in the Times Square area. If it is a large convention shuttle buses run from the Times Square area to the convention center. One hotel from which buses depart is the Marriott on Broadway and 45th Street.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Since February is low season you might want to try Priceline - assuming there are only 2 of you. You could bid midtown West and get quite a nice hotel for a reasonable rate (in the area of perhaps $150 or so). Check biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com to see what's coming up for what prices.

Javitts center is near nothing - assume you will have to take the convention shuttle bus to get there - since Feb is not the most pleasant walking weather. (Fine for strolling areas you want to see - but the walk to Javitts is empty and boring.)

Also- being from FL be sure your clothes are warm enough (heavy winter coat, hat, scarf, gloves and water proof booties) since this is the time we're most likely to get substantial snow and the average highs are in the lower 30s - but also damp and often windy.

Do try to do at least one show - many except the biggest hits are on discount now - and you can get in advance through broadwaybox.com or playbill.com.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM

nytraveler gives EXCELLENT advice regarding warm clothing - unfortunately Florida stores (unless ufgator is in north Fla) don't carry any. Internet shopping to the rescue!

The NYSE used to give tours; they were suspended after 9/11 and I'm not sure that they've ever re-started.

Don't miss a Broadway show! Many, many options out there for all tastes.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM

You might want to check woth the materials you rec'd about the show. Often the promoter for a gift show etc. has a list of hotels offered at a discount. You'll be there over Valentine's and that might be a more expensive date - see what the promotor has to offer and you might find a nice hotel at a decent price. Don't worry about staying the toy district or near Javits, it's easy to get around and sometime these shows will even offer a shuttle service.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I'm surprised you've waited so late to book this. The Toy Fair is a HUGE event in NYC. That combined with Valentine's Day AND the Westminster Kennel Club show at MSG (same area as Javits)on the 13-14 will make finding a room at a decent price a challenge. I think many of the hotels near MSG will be used for the dog show so if you don't like dogs, steer clear.

The best way to get to Javits apart from taxi is by crosstown bus on either 34 st or 42 st. Nearest subway stop is a bit of a "schlepp."

Areas that would be convenient for you include Chelsea, Flatiron district/Union Square, Times Square, Murray Hill.

There are some good deals listed on travelzoo that could work for you.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/

While I'm not a huge fan of the Grand Hyatt, at $175-200 with a crosstown bus stopping right in front of the door and easy subway connections for sightseeing, it would be a good option.

If this offer for the Barclay Intercont. is available, that would also be a good value and a lovely hotel.

http://www.eleisurelink.com/danay/SP...DtPkHelCar.asp

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM

We have had a lot of luck with the various and assorted Holiday Inn's and Marriots. There is also a Best Western at the Seaport. Priceline hotels have always worked for me- anywhere in Manhattan will be fine for you-really, transportation is good and better away form all the conventioneers-they tend to make a hotel very very noisy. Just don't go below 2 star. I have tried 1 stars a couple times when prices were high-and always got stuck in some less than desirable room. Don't worry about Manhattan nieghborhoods-few 2 star and up hotels are anywhere you would not want to be. I also buy my broadway tickets at the Seaport booth-more selection and shorter wait (if you are on the area.)
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Since you have never been to New York, you would probably enjoy staying in the Times Square area, because you would have an easy walk to the theaters, tour busses, and the sights around the Times Square area. I just saw a rate at the Marriott Marquis for 239/nite for this time. This is a AAA rate....not a bad price for this property and this location will put you in the thick of things in the area. While this hotel does get bashed for its' size, it's also fun if you are there to enjoy the city, especially for the first time.
I just attended the boat show at the Javits Center this weekend. We stayed in the financial district which was a nice change, but I am in NY for business a fair amount. However, since you have not seen NYC, I think you would enjoy TS much more. From that area, I would say that a cab would be about $ 8 - 10 to the Javits Center.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM

The Marriott Marquis is popular with attendees at the Javits Center because they run a shuttle bus back and forth between the two, so you don't have to compete for cabs. The gigantic Marriott is clean and safe, since it's in the heart of Times Square, densely populated(!) and heavily policed. Brace yourself for the intense noise and activity of the hotel and its immediate area.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Availability for the 12th-15th is not very good. (I know, I tried it.) You will probably have to go to Expedia or something and book whatever you can. NYC is really hot (as in popular) right now. Hotels are expensive and a little scarce.

You'll find something, but it won't be cheap. DO NOT stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania no matter what happens.

Be sure to check out the hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com. Those stars on Expedia (for instance) mean nothing. You can get a terrible hotel in NYC for 4 stars, or a pretty nice place for 3.

It will be easy to get a cab to go back and forth to the convention center - so don't worry about staying too close.

And, YES, do go to a Broadway show. It's super fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM

I just noticed that the Casablanca Hotel has availability for those dates for $239, $269, or $299. It is a wonderful little hotel. We love it.

http://www.casablancahotel.com/index.html
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Hi

Don't know much about the Toy District, but my favourite area of Manhattan to stay in is Midtown. It feels safe enough, and is in excellent walking distance to most things. I prefer the Hotel Metro, which is a fairly small hotel on 36th (I think) - it is a cross street between 5th Avenue and Broadway, literally one block up from the Empire State Building. They have a roof terrace there and I remember the first time I was there I went upstairs and looked out. I said "well I thought you could see the Empire State from here...?" Then I looked UP, and because we were so close, it was above me not in front of me, ha ha!!

The rooms are very nice, but have showers not baths. Restaurant right next door, linked through the lobby. They had a small comp breakfast offering in a small lounge.

Macy's is right at the end of the street, and a subway station is close by.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Rachel x
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:47 AM

just a quick comment. We have just spent a week at Affinia Manhatten. Fantastic location, opp MSG and an easy stroll to Time square and ESB and Macys on the corner and this time we 'discovered' a great supermarket down the road, The Fresh Food Market.

Hope this helps, from Aussie Dreamer in Chicago, next stop London!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information! I really appreciate it. We decided to go from Feb. 9-14 because that's when we could get flights. We booked through the convention and got a rate of $212 per night before taxes at the Marriott Times Square. Some said it was clean and safe and mentioned a shuttle. I checked and a shuttle makes a stop there, which is a big plus. I wouldn't have even known about the shuttle so thanks.

A lot of people said Times Square would be a good area. It's one of the things we want to see so we can cross it off the list just by staying there!

I didn't realize Westminster dog show was during that time. I love that show.

I have more questions about NYC, but I'll start another thread for that.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM

So are you at the Marriott Marquis or the Courtyard by Marriott Times Square South? Either way, that price is very good for a busy time. MSG, where the dog show is held is not far from Javits. It's fun to walk around the show.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie, we're at the Marquis. I normally don't like to book through 3rd parties; I just like calling the hotel direct, but it was $279 for some nights and $319 others. So I just decided to book through the convention.

Do you know if you have to have a ticket just to walk around the Westminster show? I looked on their website and you have to buy tickets to see the show.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information