Need a great hotel in NYC for myself and my 16 year old son

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to NYC in April for myself and my 16 year old son. I have been to NYC several times but he has never been and is very excited to go. Can you suggest a great hotel near Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. I am thinking of the Blakely on 136 West 55th Street. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:21 AM

The Blakely is probably fine for you. If you're willing to pay in the $300 to $350 range, there are a lot of hotels to choose from. The Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Avenue is nice but has kind of indistinct rooms (the Blakely is more traditional, so it seems an odd choice to me since you have a teen, though I don't know if hotel decor matters much to either you or him). I think your son might like the more modern and trendy Hudson, but a room there with 2 double beds is more like $400 a night, but I will also warn that rooms here are notoriously small. The Time Hotel might also be a good choice; again, it's more modern and stylish and trendy and about the same range as the Blakely for a room 2 double beds. Both these hotels are near Times Square. There are alot of hotels on the east side as well, but most are blah chains with no sense of style. The W hotels are a bit more but also have more style. There's a W on the east side and at Times Square, as well as 2 in Murray Hill, which is a very good location south of Grand Central, but they are not really in Times Square or Rock Center area (though certainly convenient to both).
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM

I recommend the W Times Square. However, if you and your son are staying in the same room you should know that the bathroom is open--there is no door.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Not sure what your price range is, but I suggest the Sofitel. Great location and wonderful hotel.

The hotel is located in Manhattan, on West 44th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenue, close to the Broadway theatre district.

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

Oh yes, book sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

marginal_margiela, why do you recommend the W Times Square? Is it nice and is it quiet enough at night to get to sleep? We will be staying in the same room. The bathroom does not have a door?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM

When we went in 2000 we stayed at the Millenium Broadway. It was a beautiful hotel and it was right in Times Square. I loved the lcoation of it.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM

The W TS is a cool, trendy hotel that would wow a teen, but rooms are small, not to mention the bathroom issue. Not what I would recommend. The Doubletree Guest Suites would be ideal if your budget can handle it and you're willing to stay in Times Square.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
anneryan

I second the Doubletree Guest Suites. We stayed there with our two teens. All rooms are suites with a separate bedroom and sitting room with little refrigerator, etc. It is nice because if you get up before your teenage son (which most of us probably do!),you can go out into the sitting room and have your coffee, etc. without waking him up. We loved the location too. Right near Times Square and also right next to a subway station. The room was very clean and my teens loved walking out of the hotel and seeing the lights and activity at Times Square.

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM

I's suggest the Hilton or the Westin both in Times Square with easy access to transportation.

You might also check www.hotels.com and www.expedia.com for suggestions on hotels in the area in your price range.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Is that comment about no door on the bathroom at the W for real? No door at all, even to the toilet? I can't believe I've never heard that complaint before it if is true. Or could this have simply been a specific room thing -- like maybe a "handicap" room?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I stayed at the W Times Square two years ago. I met my sister, Jennifer, who lives in Cambridge, in Manhattan for a few days of Christmas fun. The W Times Square's lobby is on the 16th floor of the building it is in; therefore, all the rooms are on high floors--no traffic noise. My room was done up in black/white minimilistic motif. The bathroom opened up into the bedroom. There was a small divider blocking the toilet and sink from the windows--you can see into offices across the street--but anyone in the room could see directly into the bathroom. My sister and I had our own rooms, so this was not a problem. It would be a problem if mother/son were sharing the room. I would call the hotel directly; maybe there are rooms with closed off bathrooms.

I didn't think my room was small at all. There was a small DVD/CD library in the room--or you could order a DVD from room service to watch if you were bored. I thought the hotel was very cool/trendy.