NY hotel near Rockefeller Plaza/Times Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adult daughter(25) and I will be visiting NYC Feb. 20-23. We are considering the Rockefeller Center Hotel, mainly becuase of the ice rink. We are also considering the Doubletree at Times Square. Also, are there any special events taking place that weekend--I believe Fashion Week is the previous week. I have checked Trip Advisor for both hotels, but would feel better about my decision if I had your input.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
J62

I haven't stayed at either of those, but I have recently stayed at the Hilton Times Sq. It was a very comfortable 2Q bed room - typical Hilton bed - pillowtop mattress & comfortable. Recently renovated room, high up over 42nd st.

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM

The Rockefeller Center hotel is a very good location. If I were going to stay in Times Square, the Doubletree would not be where I'd choose. There are currently some very good prices for the Millenium Broadway and the Westin on travelzoo.com and also a special for W Hotels of which the W Times Square might be an option. I think the Doubletree is in need of updating and for just 2 of you, don't see the benefit of paying a premium for a suite unless you need one. If you do need a suite, the Affinia.com hotels are having a sale on their website and there are also some good prices for them on quikbook.com They're mostly not on the west side, but Affinia 50 is not that far from Rock. Ctr.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM

We stayed at the Doubletree TS last year and it was fine . . had the Granddaughter with us and she loved stepping out of the hotel and being right in Times Square.

Rooms were comfortable and staff efficient.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I am going with my Mom the same weekend.

I know its not in Times Square but I just got the Affinia Dumont for $152/night on hotels.com

There are lots of sales for NYC hotels right now. I was comparing between Travelzoo, Quikbook, Hotels and Orbitz.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM

The Westin is a steal on travelzoo right now -- for $199 you can get a room with a city view. I know from experience that the view is fantastic! I'm 25 and did a trip with my mom this summer and we had a great time there. (We also loved the Affinia Dumont.)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info--I will consider these options since I'm not quite ready to book just yet.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We really enjoyed The Muse, a Kimpton boutique hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I have checked out the Millenium Broadway and I like the location and the fact that we might score a room with some type of view. Many reviews for the Rockefeller Plaza Hotel indicated the rooms were tiny--and I know NYC hotel rooms tend to be smallish--but if 2 people cannot fit in a room, it is too small.Plus, view does not seem to be a priority there, either. The proximity of the Millenium B'Way to Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza make it sound like it will be the perfect place for us.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
emd

I stayed at the Westin Times Square last week and it would be a great hotel for a 25 yr old daughter w/you. Two blocks off Times Square, 43rd and 8th. Not sure why you want the Doubletree, unless you really want the space. One thing about Doubletree is you are right in Times Square when you walk out the door. I prefer to be a block away so I am not walking into a sea of people right out the hotel door.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at the Carlton on Madison Avenue last year and it was great, but one thing I didn't like were the side streets btw Madison and 7th (in some places). My husband was with me then, now it is my daughter, so I think being in the thick of things in Times Square will be right for us. I certainly agree the restaurant choices there...well, there aren't many! I've scanned menupages, but still would love to hear more restaurant ideas. We like Italian, seafood, delis, and Greek. Will definetly be trying Grimaldi's. I would like to visit Arthur Avenue in the Bronx--any suggestions? Is it worth going to see the Italian markets & eat in their restaurants?