Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

suite non-times square for family of five.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments would be appreciated: We need a Lg. suite for 6 nts. in a fun area. We want as much as a boutique "feel" but with value and comfort??
San Carlos:
1 bdr. suite- 280.00 nt 1 bdr. suite

Giraffe:
1 bdr. suite 350.00 Cont. Break. and wine and cheese in the afternoon.

The Affina Shelbourne:
1 bdr. suite (2 Bdr. not avail.)$290.00 that includes the 25.00 rollaway nightly cost.

The Michelangelo: 1 bdr king suite 600 sq. feet? I think it was approx. $280.00 to $370.00 I am not sure of my notes.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank-you

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Have you discussed with the hotels specifically that these are for 5 people (adults) or simply asked about suites? Just be sure that the bedrooms are double doubles rather than just basic doubles.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM

I can only speak for the Shelburne. 2 weekends ago we had several visitors stay there. Some in the 1 bedrooms and others in the studio suites. Everyone was very pleased with the accommodation. Around the corner on 3rd avenue there are a few places for a quick bite, breakfast or to pick up some food to go. The suites all have a fully equiped kitchen. The 1 bedrooms were quite roomy with good closet space (bathroom counter space wasn't so great though). They all booked through the affinia website using the grandparent special (anyone can book this), and paid only $178. Check the special offers section of affinia.com. I even called the hotel and they couldn't match the website price.

This hotel is not luxurious or 'hip', but very comfortable and quiet. The rooftop lounge has great views on a clear night.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM

According to their website, the 1 bedrooms vary from 450-650 sq. ft.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

thank you for such a quick reply!
I now have a 1 bdr. suite reserved at the Shelbourne. I was just wondering if the others that I had mentioned might be more luxurious or in a better area? I imagine that the shelbourne offers the most family comfort and value.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Staythenight B&B on 93rd Upper Eastside has a large apt and other rooms. Very nice area, 1/2 block from Central Park. Very reasonable rates.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:16 AM
GoTravel

The Shelbourne Murray Hill is a pretty nice hotel. I think the Affina hotels are very nice.

The Surrey, on the UES is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed in.

My appartment at the Shelbourne was very large with a full kitchen. Not some tiny little fridge and a microwave.

I also love the neighborhood of Murray Hill. You'll feel more like a visitor and less like a tourist staying there.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:34 PM

San Carlos:

Stayed there 6 nights first part of May.
Wonderful hotel. Would not call it
"boutique", more conventional.

Good location, well kept, roomy room.
I had 1 BR suite. - 2 queens in br, and sofa bed in LR. ..approx 700 sq. ft.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM

The Giraffe has gotten rave reviews on tripadvisor and the neighborhood it's in is "fun." Not sure it's worth $50+ more a night. Do you care about a kitchen? Not sure these all have one. What's the make up of your family?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM

the Beacon Hotel on Upper West Side has 1- and 2-bedroom suites. We've gotten the 1-BR several times, price is about $190, and has large rooms and "full" kitchen amenities, if that matters.

Don't know what the 2-BR would be.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I think we would be better off on the east side, after reading all of the pro-eastside replies. So is the San Carlos or the Giraffe that much better than the Sherbourn? Our kids are 9,12 and 14. We have family in Brooklyn and the east village. Thanks all...
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Have you checked out the Kimberly Suites on east 50-something? We stayed there last year, and it was quite good.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM
GoTravel

hooked, with your family, the Shelbourne is perfect.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Teens always love being in the Times Square area, despite your headline. The benefit of the Michelangelo is it's in that area but not right in the fray. I think the only reason people didn't comment on it is they've not stayed in suites there. It's not usually considered when considering the others you're looking at.

As to the other choices, the Giraffe will probably give the most "boutique feel" but I don't think they have kitchenettes; so you have to decide whether that's important to you. The Shelburne & the Giraffe are actually only about 10 blocks apart but the Giraffe is in a bit more interesting area IMO. Perhaps someone who's subway savvy can tell you which might be more convenient for the east village & Brooklyn. Will you be going to Brooklyn a lot? What part if yes?

The San Carlos is more a tradiitonal hotel (recently renovated & previously called the Summit I think)in a good but traditional midtown location. Near there is the new Alex hotel which is also suites, has kitchenettes & sounds more trendy/boutiquey. The Kimberley Buzzy mentions has an indoor pool. BTW, another popular place is Le Parker Meridien, also has an indoor pool.

Would the Embassy Suites downtown near Wall Street be of interest to you?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM

On this thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34504914
about Le Parker Meridien, I happened to notice this post that I thought would interest you

Author: stockexchanger
Date: 06/07/2004, 11:00 pmMessage: Best burgers in NYC.
Very funky rooms. We had a suite with our kids. Flat screen tv that swiveled on a pillar, funky shower, everything is new and retro and very cool. Fun experience. The restaurant for breakfast is also great but not cheap. Worth it to try once. We would definitely stay here again. Great for walking.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

ok..To you New York lovers...if money and a kitchenette was not an object, what Hotels, may include ie: pool, good food, friendly service, possibly a rooftop, and "cool" rooms with an accessable exterior location (not times square) would be the most fun for a family 2 parents and 3 travel loving kids?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM

There are really very few hotels in NYC with a pool. The new Gansevoort Hotel in the very trendy meatpacking district has a roof top pool but not sure how kid friendly it would be. The neighborhood is on the edge of Greenwich Village so convenient to downtown things.

The brand new Mandarin Oriental at Columbus Circle also has a pool but I think $600 + for a room may be a bit much for this trip.

Other midtown hotels with pools

1. the Peninsula (very expensive, very traditional)

2. the Sheraton (big hotel, terrible reviews)

3. the Kimberley -really don't know it very well. Good location.

4. the Melrose Hotel (near Bloomingdales) has a health club in the building with a lap pool. Don't know how kid friendly it is.

5. UN Plaza Millenium -great pool & views but all the way east across from UN. Not very convenient for sightseeing.

6. Le Parker Meridien probably the best all around solution to your request.

Some of the hotels downtown near Wall Street may have pools but I'm not sure which ones.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:09 AM

The Millenium Hilton and the Marriott NY Financial Center both have pools and sound good if you don't mind staying downtown. BTW, Travelocity has a search feature where you can ask for amenities like a pool.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Have you considered the Righa Royal? It's an all-suite luxury hotel. We're staying there later this summer.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:44 AM

I've stayed at the giraffe and don't think their suite would be roomy enought for 5 people. It's a great hotel,the service was great- the decor is very really nicely done, the all day snacks with cocktails at night are great,but 5 people would be cramped in one of their suites.
if you have kids, I think the hyatt at grand central offers adjoining rooms for 1/2 price when a family has kids. It' not boutiquey, but an option.