Family hotel in NYC?

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family hotel in NYC?

Can anyone recommend a good family hotel in NYC for a young family of 4?

Would good deals be possibly in february?
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:48 AM

Stayed at the Hampton Inn on 8th and 51st. Very good for families. There 2 weeks ago and saw many families. Stayed in a room with 2 queen sized beds as there were 3 of us. Location good to walk to Central Park which all would enjoy the small zoo. Free breakfast also. Sure they have good rates in Feb.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:04 AM

We stayed in the Buckingham Hotel on 6th Ave and 57th St.. It is an apartment building being converted to hotel suites. It NOT deluxe, has no coffee shop or room service, but the suites are much larger than any room I've ever had in NYC. The kitchenette is a plus if the kids eat breakfast at 7 a.m.

I posted a trip report that contains a review of the hotel:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35097438

The best/biggest rooms are "G" and then "K." I posted a more extensive review on tripadvisor, although it is not the most recent.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:14 AM

I'd look into the Affinia chain. Most of these hotels are suites - with a small kitchen. It's great for a family, and they are generally larger than other hotel rooms in New York. I'm heading to New York in Feb., and found many of the Affinias had rooms in the 225-300 range, which I think is a pretty good deal.

Is your family ok with 2 beds, or do you need something more? Some of the all suite hotels have 2 beds (queens or doubles) and a pull-out sofa in the living area.

There's also the Double Tree Suites in Times Square, and the Embassy Suites near the financial district. I'd definitely recommend a suite hotel as it will give you a little more space.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:15 AM

We've stayed in the Doubletree Suites also... they are tiny!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Our family loved the Blakely two years ago during Spring Break. We had two Queens in a separate bedroom with an adjacent sitting/tv area including a couch where our son slept. The kitchenette is great for left-overs and snacks with a large updated bathroom. This is a small property in a great location..very good service with lots of good neighborhood restaurants nearby.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM

There are now a lot of suite hotels where the rooms are like apartments, some studios, some 1, some 2 bedroom units. The www.affinia.com are some of the nicest and good value. You will sometimes see better prices on websites like quikbook.com and hotels.com than on the Affinia website so double check.

others include
nycsalisbury.com
blakelyhotelny.com
beaconhotel.com
radiocityapartments.com

There is currently a special for Jan/Feb. at the Buckingham, mentioned by kswl, on travelzoo.com

Best Western Hospitality
San Carlos
Milburn
Embassy Suites
Doubltree Guest Suites
Manhattan Club (a timeshare that rents out)
are more options.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM

karlth:

You have received lots of options by others so I'll just add here is the Milburn hotel site www.milburnhotel.com on the upper west side, good value for your $'s.

We also loved the Embassy Suites which I think may be a few more $'s but you do get their fabulous breakfast included in the cost.

Good luck and enjoy NYC.

Sandy
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:18 PM
MaureenB

We liked the Embassy Suites. Lots of room, with one large bedroom plus a living room, a mini-bar, and two TVs. Their hot and cold breakfast buffet is unbeatable.
>-

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM

You already have many good suggestions. Here's one more: The Residence Inn Times Square. It's within walking distance of Times Square but not in the crush. They offer free breakfast and free light meals during the week around 5 p.m. or so, which is an attractive option for families with young kids, especially since you usually end up eating out for lunch.They also have suite rooms with kitchenettes, and it is across from Bryant Park.