Which hotel for special occasion?

Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel for special occasion?

Hi,

I'm going to NY next October with my mom and two sisters. Have booked the Hilton on the Av. of the America's for $650 p/n for a 2 queen bed suite. We will stay for 5 nights. Am wondering if this is a good deal or would we be better staying elsewhere? We want to be in the centre of things.

Any ideas? thanks, Laura
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM

That sounds much too high at a well located but somewhat standard hotel. I don't know what's included in a 2 queen bed suite at the Hilton or what you want. If this is just 2 rooms, a bedroom and living room with the 2 queen beds in the bedroom there are a number of good all suite hotels that would give you that and be a fraction of that price. If it's 2 bedrooms plus a livingroom, the price is not bad.

The Affinia.com group has 7 all suite hotels. Some would have 2 bedroom suites at around the price you describe and possibly 2 bathrooms. Or you can get a 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds and a queen sofa bed in the living room. Some of their 1 bedrooms have only 1 bed in the bedroom and the other 2 would have to share a sofabed. I don't think that would be very comfortable for 5 nights.

The San Carlos is another nice all suite hotel and I believe some of their one bedroom suites have 2 full bathrooms. (2 bathrooms for 4 women is a good idea).

If you don't mind paying $650/night, you should be able to find something at a more luxurious hotel. I did see some suites at the Hilton a while back and while they were very nice and spacious, it's not a particularly glamorous hotel. The Michelangelo is very nice and should have some larger suites at around that price. The Parker Meridien should have some connecting rooms. The Regency hotel has some family suites that are supposed to be nice. To get info on these unusual configurations, you may have to phone or email.

Quikbook.com is a website I always compare to the hotels' own prices.

Your other option is a vacation rental apt. There are agents that do that ( ie. nyhabitat.com, furnishedquarters.com) or you can try to deal with owners directly on sites like vrbo.com

There's an agent in London www.apartments2book.com that you might contact for price comparisons. They have contracts with some of the Affinia hotels and others.

I also think it's a bit early to get any decent prices for next Oct. and would urge you to book something cancellable now and keep your eyes open for specials.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM

I'm not sure what you have at the Hilton is a real suite. They call it one - but then refer to a separate living "area" - not room. And the photo carefully shows just sofa, desk, etc - not the whole room. I bet if you see it it's really just an extra large room with 2 beds at one end and a loveseat at the other end. This is an enormous convention hotel and at prime convention season - which Oct is - tends to become so mobbed that everything, from checking in or out, getting a cab or having a question answered can easily take 15/20 minutes standing on line.

Agree you should be able to do better than this - at least a real suite with a separate living room. And hopefully a better price. Check out mclaurie's suggestions. You might also want to check out the Lucerne on the upper west side. Some of their rooms are very large and there are no conventions, better serivce - and a neighborhood with lots of great inexpensive restaurants, a couple of minute walk to Central Park and a bunch of museums.
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
GoTravel

Check out the price of the Salisbury Hotel's two bedroom apartment. Better location than the Hilton on Sixth Avenue and huge accommodations.

Two bedroom, two bath, King bed, two queens, living room, dining area, kitchenette.

www.NYCSalisbury.com

My parents stay here all the time.

Jan 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I would also check out the London NYC. This hotel used to be the Rhiga Royal, which was at the time was known for their fabulous suites. It is well located in mid town manhattan. http://thelondonnyc.com/press/
Jan 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies. The Hilton is a one bed suite and works out at $3500 for the 5 nights. The Affinia Gardens is about $500 cheaper. Everything else either full, doesn't take 4 per room or too exensive.

I did try the Lucerne and they have availability but I wonder if the Upper West Side is very quiet? My Mom will have had a knee replacement within 6 months, so although I know we can jump in a cab at any stage, the more central we are, the better.

Many thanks! Laura
Jan 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I can't believe things are "full" now for next Oct. It may be that some computer reservation systems don't accept reservations this far in advance. I just can't believe those prices for a 1 bedroom apt. Every possible date in Oct. I've tried yields prices from $1400-2700 for 5 nights at any of the Affinia hotels in a 1 bedroom suite. What are you exact dates?

I hope you'll heed my suggestion and not book anything that isn't cancellable.

I'm not sure the Affinia Gardens have rooms with 2 beds in the bedroom I think their 1 bedrooms are 1 bed for 2 and a sofabed for 2. You should check.
Jan 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your help! Our dates are 23-28 Oct. I would never book anything that cannot be cancelled. Some of the problems are that the beds are double rather than queen and we really want our space!!

It's my sisters 30th birthday and the first time that all of us will travel like this together. In fact, it's the first time that my sister will be in the US - we're from Ireland, so I want to make the hotel as upscale as possible. With the dollar being weak, we can afford to pay a little more but we don't want to overdo it either.

I was in NY last year so I know what the standard rooms are like but as there are 4 of us sharing, hope to get something a bit special!

Many thanks, Laura
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:21 AM

I do now see that the rates featured on the first page on Affinia.com are all non-cancellable and not all the Affinia hotels have rooms with 2 queen beds. For the prices they want for these 1 bedroom suites which will only give you 1 bathroom for the 4 of you, you could easily get 2 nice rooms or suites there or elsewhere for around the price you were thinking of paying at the Hilton.

Quikbook.com is a very good booking site with good prices and most are no prepayment and cancellable. They also have some of the Affinia hotels and while the prices may not be as cheap as the cheapest on Affinia's website, they're all cancellable and a lot cheaper than what Affinia lists for cancellable rates.

If you got 2 studio suites with 2 beds each, no one would have to share a bed, you'd have 2 bathrooms and you'd still have a separate seating area and kitchens in each room. Or you could get a 1 bedroom suite for the birthday girl plus 1 and studio suite for the other 2. Anyway, it's a thought. In addition to the Affinia hotels, the San Carlos is very nice, also has suites with kitchenettes and is near the Affinia 50 which is a nice location. On quikbook there's a price of $1545 for the 5 nights for a suite for 2 with 2 double beds. Double that is still cheaper than the Hilton's suite.

Bottom line you should know the $650/night for a 1 bedroom suite (with 1 bathroom) for the 4 of you is too much. You can easily get 2 rooms in a nice hotel for that.

Jan 25th, 2007, 07:29 AM
GoTravel

mclaurie, that is right before the marathon and I can totally see October being sold out already. It is a huge conference and convention month and occupancy in NYC is through the roof.

It is only nine months out. Many conferences book hotels years out.

Jan 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I hear ya GoT. I still see plenty of availability for rooms though and just wanted to make the point that $650 is a lot per night and 2 rooms in this case could be much better than 1.
Jan 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I've had a look at quikbook but haven't booked through them as they have a charge if you cancel the room! Just don't like to have a charge if I cancel!

Laura
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Where do you see a charge for cancelling??? Here's what I see copied from quikbook website

"Are there fees to change or cancel a reservation?
There is no extra cost to you if you change or cancel a NON-prepaid reservation. The Change/Cancel Service for prepaid reservations is $10 – far less than other sites charge you to alter a prepaid reservation.

Hotel cancellation policies vary from hotel to hotel. Please see hotel specific policies for more details.

Where can I find the cancellation policy for the hotel I choose?
On the last screen you see before completing your Quikbook reservation, we always disclose the details of the cancellation policy that pertains to your hotel. This same cancellation policy also appears in the Quikbook Hotel Confirmation that we send to you upon completion of your reservation. On each Hotel Profile™ page, you will also find a link to the cancellation policy for that hotel."

Jan 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
GBC

Hi Laura,

I used to work in NYC. I would stay overnight at times and would often have clients stay over too.
To me, the Hilton on Sixth is just an OK location - nothing special - and it is a very average hotel. It is pretty close to the threatre district and to Rockefeller Center, but so are many others.
Remember, there will be taxes, etc. so the $650 will actually bill out at around $750 or so. That's a to pay for a room with two queen beds.
You may wish to search further with an eye to what part of the city you really want to be in.
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM

The Hilton is where friends of mine were staying when she woke up to hear her husband next to her in bed having a coughing attack. He couldn't seem to stop. She asked if he was alright and got no response. She switched on the light and found he was fast asleep. That's when she realized the coughing was coming from someone in the next room -- through the paper thin walls.
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Many thanks for all your help. I've used quikbook to book the Kimberly Hotel. Looks great and gets good reveiews on Tripadvisor.

The rate I got is $409 for a one-bedroom suite, which has king bed and queen sofa bed. I've also booked 2 double rooms at $295 each. Will have a chat with my sister's and decide which one to keep. Thrilled with the new hotel. Many thanks again for all the help!

Laura