2 bedroom suites in NYC

Mar 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

2 bedroom suites in NYC

We're taking our granddaughter to NYC as a high school graduation gift. We could try to get 2 adjoining rooms in a hotel, but in our past experience this has been an empty promise at booking...sure, we can do it...but then checking in is a whole different story. Does anyone know of a reasonable hotel in the city that offers a 2-bedroom suite?
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
GoTravel

The Affinia Group has many hotels with two bedroom apartments www.Affinia.com and the Salisbury Hotel www.NYCSalisbury.com also has them.

Mar 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM

don't know what 'reasonable' is to you, it differs for everyone -
but the Kimberly Hotel is another hotel that has standard guest rooms, one and two bedroom suites. If your grandaugther would be comfortable on an open-up couch, we have had a one bedroom suite with one of those at times also.

However, if she is graduating high school and going with you, couldn't her room be separate from yours? I don't know if she is not comfortable in a big city or has not traveled much, but my kids were much younger than 18 and could stay in a room tht was on our floor or a floor above or below us -

If cost is a consideration, you may want to talk to her and ask her if she would be comfortable in a room that was not in fact , connected to yours.

Sometimes 2 rooms are more/less than a one bedroom suite with an open up couch, but you could inquire.
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I was also going to say if granddaughter wouldn't mind sleeping on a sofabed, one bedroom suites with sofabed in the living room are much easier to find and a lot less expensive. Another idea is the Blakely Hotel has some 1 bedroom suites with a daybed in the living room, prob. more comfortable than a sofabed. Blakelyhotelny.com

Some other places with 2 bedroom suites
Best Western Hospitality, the Beacon.
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I believe the Salisbury, across from Carnegie Hall, has 2 BR suites.
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM

bookmarking
Mar 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Have stayed in many two bedroom suites in NY. Most reasonable were:

- the Beacon (old fashioned, a "real" NY apt, love the Upper West Side location, but not "central")
- the Kimberly (very central, a little frilly, but a nice size suite with all sort of extras)
- the Beekman (part of Affinia group...very far east - near the UN, fabulous views)
- the Parker Meridien (most central - great pool and gym - also most pricey, but they have deals and upgrades. This was not technically 2 bedroom, but junior suite connected to single room - most hotels have this arrangement)

All of the above have deals if you call, especially if you're going in the summer.
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM

While a 2 bedroom suite - with 2 baths - sounds like a great idea - it's going to cost WAY more than 2 separate bedrooms. So unless there's some reason you have to watch your gradndaughter every minute - that's what I would book.

the problem with a 1-bedroom suite is that there's only one bath - and sofa beds really aren;t that comfortable - even for an 18 year old.

You don;t say what you think of as resonable - but the Affinia hotels in late June (random dates) look like: 1 bedroom suite: $400; 2 bedroom suite $800
per night - including tax. Note that these are pleasant moderate hotels - nothing luxurious.

I would think that you can do much better than this with 2 separate rooms - plus give your grandaughter some privacy. When we travled with my stepdaughters they got their own room when they were 11 and 14 - and were never stolen by gypsies - or even racked up tons on the minibar.

You can contact the hotels directly or look for specials when you get closer. But - really you'll have many more options with 2 separate rooms.
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM

I've heard good reviews on Radio City Apartments in the Midtown area -- I think you can get a 2-bedroom there. We really like The Blakely, but that would be a 1B suite.
Mar 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM

The Blakely looks fabulous and the cost is very very reasonable by NYC standards, but just FYI, I tried yesterday and couldn't find any availability during a two week span of time in July.
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Note also, that when Expedia told me that there was no availablity at the Blakely, it suggested 5 hotels that DID have availablity....two were the infamous WooGo hotels!!!
Mar 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM

missypie, check on quikbook.com for the Blakely. They sometimes have rooms when the hotel doesn't.
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Still nothing at the Blakely, but I did get a few other ideas. Thanks for the reference.
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
MaureenB

We were very happy with a two bdrm/two bath suite at the Affinia Gardens, on the upper east side, at the end of last May. It was about $630, including taxes. Very nice hotel, large suite, kitchen, dining area, etc.
>-

Mar 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square have a separate bedroom with sofa-bed....ours had three sinks, two in the bathroom and the bar sink in the LR, you have to ask for the three sink suite...We plan to take our grandson for his graduation in June and may try the Salisbury.
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
MaureenB

We've also stayed at the Embassy Suites, near Wall Street. We had one bedroom, with the front room having its own TV and pullout sofa. One bathroom. A little frig and sink. Very basic, but inexpensive. Best feature is their full breakfast buffet included.
>-

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM

I actually have reserved that Embassy Suites as a "fall back." When I looked it up on Trip Advisor, I found that it gets very good reviews.
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
GoTravel

However the Embassy Suites isn't a two bedroom. It is a suite.

Mar 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Right. I sort of hijacked the thread. I wan't looking for a two bedroom; the OP was.
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM

The Surrey Hotel on east 76th St.has both one and two bedroom suites with kitchenette and sofa beds in living room.
Not inexpensive but less than 3 hotel rooms.It is one of the the Affinia Group mentioned earlier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO