Search

Stopover in MIAMI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopover in MIAMI

Ciao, Flying to / from Chile we have a 6 hours stopover at Miami airport. Is it worth to go out, take a public transport (?) and... spend a couple of hours .... WHERE???? Grazie, arrivederci. Gianni (Milan, Italy)
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 01:44 AM

Probably not, sadly, because Miami and Miami Beach are very interesting and often beautiful.

You would need 45 minutes minimum to debark from your plane and clear Immigration, and you need to be back a minimum of 2 hours before your flight to Chile, so assuming that your trans-Atlantic flight arrives on time, you have 3h 15m. Subtract an hour for going to and from Miami Beach, and you have two hours on the ground. Not enough for the stress involved because if any one of these items goes wrong (weather delay, long immigration lines, traffic) you are -- US slang -- toast.

Now, if you could hire a guide who would pick you up at the airport, it might be worth it.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

GRAZIE (Thanks)! Flying back to Italy, we have one more hour, nothing to see closer to the airport?
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 06:42 AM

I agree that 6 hours on arrival in Miami isn't very much time after you clear immigration and customs.

But with 7 hours to kill on the way TO Italy, you definitely have plenty of time to go into the city. Just be sure to get back to the airport with 90 minutes to spare so you can clear security and get back to your plane and to the gate for your flight (but you will already be checked in, so you should have 3 or 4 hours in the city, and to me that's plenty of time depending on your interests.

You could go Downtown's Bayside Marketplace, where there's a lot to see and do, and you can get there on Metrorail from the airport so you don't need a taxi (you do have to change at Government Center for the downtown Metromover).

There are also direct buses to South Beach from the airport if you would rather go there.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM

I didn't say this in my post above, but I'm assuming you will be able to check in for your onward flight to Italy in Chile (which would allow you to check your bags all the way through). If not, you'll be in much the same situation as on the way to Chile. But 90 minutes is more than enough time to clear security and get to your gate, so I'll send by that ... as long as you have already checked in for your flight.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Clearing immigration in Miami sucks. Takes far too long. I don't know how you're going to clear customs and immigration in 45 minutes. Not at Miami.

Miami International is to the US what Charles de Gaulle airport is to France. That's not a comparison any place should like.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously, what BigRuss has NOT said is that clearing Immigration, etc., in Miami depends entirely on what time of day and how many other passengers are trying to clear at the same time.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We whizzed through immigration in Miami last spring but still think you don't have enough time.mto leave MIA. Have a Cuban coffee at Cafe Versailles.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Obviously, Dukey just wants to dump on me for no dang reason other than taking offense at a post I made sometime last month that makes Dukey want to call me out on every post I make on the US forum. Stay classy Dukey.

Fact is, Miami is a royal pain. If you are lucky, you may get through quickly. That's true for anyplace and Dukey's comment is remarkable for being so devoid of insight.

The default, common, usual, expected and normal outcome in Miami is that it will be a long and slow roll through immigration.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:16 AM

If you can use the automated passport control kiosks, you might be able to get through immigration quicker. For non US citizens who have entered the US before on the ESTA program (ie it cannot be your first visit on the ESTA program), you can use the kiosks, otherwise you have to wait in line. I believe Miami has these, we used them in JFK last month and cleared immigration in minutes, but got caught in a long customs line instead.

We did a similar thing last year, flew via MIA on the way back from Mexico, rented a car for few hours before the flight home in the evening. I would go to South Beach although last year there was alot of road works which I would be afraid of getting stuck in on the way back to the airport & if you don't clear immigration and customs quickly, it won't be worth leaving the airport.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Again grazie. We see situation and available time. Thanks for your suggestions / comments! Very helpful. Arrivederci.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Ciao. This is the end: we moved out from the airport to its Central Station. ith the Metrorail we had the opportunity to go and visit Vizcaya Musem and gardens, REALLY BEATIFUL AND INTERESTING! We also spent (the museum opens at 9,30 am) a couple of hours in a nearby public garden near the sea. So, an interesting stop-over! Ciao, Gianni (Milan Italy)
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 03:22 AM

I would hop in a cab and go to Smith & Wollensky or Monty's in South Beach. Both are on the water and have fantastic food.

Nikki Beach would also be a great place to go and is on the ocean.

Be warned that the above are expensive even for South Beach.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Sorry, I was closelined from the suggestion of Bayside that I skipped over the rest of the responses and didn't see where the trip already happened.

Yes, Vizcaya certainly is amazing! Glad you enjoyed!