Miami Airport Layover- What To Do ?

Dec 31st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Miami Airport Layover- What To Do ?

We have a four hour plus layover in Miami next week - 4:00 pm to 8:15 pm. Is this long enough to try leaving the airport? Are there restaurants or shopping close by worth making an effort to visit? Thank you.
Dec 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM

Are you connecting to or from an international flight? If so I don't think you have enough time.

If you are arriving on an international flight, it might take you more than an hour to get through customs and to recheck your luggage. If you are departing on an international flight, I wouldn't want to be back at the airport less than 2 hours in advance. If you flight is on time, then you might have 2 hours, which would be long enough to get a bite to eat near the airport but not more.
Dec 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM

I would not risk leaving the airport, especially if this is a weekday flight because you would hit rush hour traffic and spend most of your time on the highway.

Also, rental cars at Miami airport take time to get to because they are not at the airport itself.

Even if you made it out to go to South Beach, you would hardly be able to see or enjoy anything because it's about a 45 minute drive from the aiport to South Beach - plus parking anywhere near South Beach can be tough.

Sorry, but I think you're better off to stay at the airport for only a 4 hour layover.
Jan 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Ok - IF I get in on time, IF I get through immigration and customs in a timely manner, how long would it take to go to Nordstroms at the Village at Merrick Place on Ponce deLeon in Coral Gables? I absolutely love Nordstroms and don't live near one. I figure I can get a cab at the airport and hopefully arrange with the same cab company to get a ride back. This would put me leaving the airport probably around 5:00 pm on a Tuesday and now I'm concerned that rush hour traffic could be a crimp in my plans. Is this in a rush hour area or not? Thank you.
Jan 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM

Fourth vote for "don't do it". MIA is annoying and time consuming on a good day - and there can be inexplicable traffic delays anywhere in the greater Miami area. And, yes, there is a rush hour. Even though Mapquest lists this Nordstroms as being very close to MIA, I would still not do it.
Jan 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM

It will be about 15 mins by cab to Merrick Park but around rush hour (when are you going) it could be half an hour. You might be cutting it close to make your next flight, but if you do it I am sure Nordstrom's can call you a cab or you can call one at 305-444-4444. They are quick to respond (I think the most I have waited is 10 mins).
Jan 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM

With Nordsrom's service they might pick you up and bring you back!! LOL
Jan 1st, 2010, 11:00 PM

No way you'd make this.

Get a good book and settle in at the airport.