ny ers now living in nc taking their kids to nyc for first time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. DH and I are born and raised in NY and are taking kids (11 and 13) to NYC for a Christmas surprise. We are staying at HIlton on E 52nd. We arrive 1/2 and depart 1/5.

Plan to visit Met, Museum of Natural History, Rock Center, 5th Ave windows, FAO Schwartz, St Pats, Times Square, Columbia (we are both alums), High line (if not too cold), and maybe SI ferry. Would love to squeeze in some West Village too.

We both worked downtown on 9/11 so don't think we want to do museum there but may visit Catholic site.

We are going to Rangers game that Sat night and will take 13 year old daughter shopping.

My biggest challenge is the dining. Am thinking Tony di Napolis's on East Side and some ramen place I found also. Dinners near hotel (or at least walkable) might be a good idea since i am sure kids will be exhausted. Daughter up for good meals, son sees food more for energy and won't sit for more than 1/5 hours. Brother in law owns Toledo, an upscale Spanish, so may go there.

How about lunches near the museums? And a place up by Columbia (thinkingV &Ts for pizza).

Thanks all-will be good to be back.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

EK, the hot kitchen place sounds interesting. Want to show my kids that all Chinese food does not have to be coated in that awful orange sauce!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Naruto ramen-EK are you familiar with this?
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM

You really should see 9/11 Memorial, your kids too, especially if you worked in the area. I think everyone should go there.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 02:26 AM

I agree about the Memorial. And you should tell your children your story.
I'm not up on it, but how about the great ethnic eating in Queens (I just read the Times, and lived in NY LONG ago).
While you're up around Columbia how about the Cathedral?
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi. will consider the memorial. They know the story.
We will also go to St John's Cathedral. I used to eat at the Greek and cypriat tavernas in Queens but think that is too far a haul…
keep ideas coming and thanks.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 04:42 AM

An old Queens restaurant opened in the East Village, Taverna Kyclades. Great seafood, huge portions, especially for Manhattan. Three dinners will more than enough for four.

Many terrific pizza places in the city now. Keste, Co, Motorino and stand by Lombardi's.

During the week, you can take the kids for dim sum in Chinatown-Jing Fong, Nom Wah, or Golden Unicorn, weekends are a zoo. Nom Wah has a menu, the others have carts. Do not forgot t go to Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Since I wouldn't want you to go to wrong street, here's minor correction of your hotel's lccation: It's on the 53rd/54th Streets block of 6th Avenue, not 52nd.

As for restaurants, what's your budget? There's an excellent Italian restaurant, Remi, right next door to the hotel on 53rd Street.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"won't sit for more than 1/5 hours"

Does this mean 12 minutes? If so, lose all the fine dining ideas. There is a "good enough" cafeteria in the Met Museum, also various food vendors on the sidewalk. Walk over to 3rd or 2nd for a selection of diners and fast food.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Hotel is Hilton Garden In 206 e 52nd.
Taverna sounds great! Was also considering dim sum-they like it.Golden Unicorn was on my list. Do not know about ice cream factory so sounds interesting.
Son will sit as long as he needs to be he is not too happy past 1.5 hours. Budget not much of an issue, but Per Se is not what kids want so trying to make us all happy while eating good food.
Keep the ideas coming.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks for clarifying your hotel. A word of caution: If you are taking a cab back to your hotl, make you give the full name, i.e., the Hilton Garden Inn. If you just say "The Hilton," the driver would take you to address I mentioned above.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:45 AM

!.5 hrs. Much better. That's getting close to my limit as well.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

any ohter ideas? would love a recommendation near the garden for the rangers game.

we are going to toledo for friday dinner so would appreciate some lunch ideas. the ramen idea sounds fun. so does greek but not sure if we will have time to head to east village.

keep them coming. thanks all.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 06:52 AM

It is easier to get to the East Village form E52 than it is to go crosstown to MSG.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Quite near you hotel is this steak and frites place, Le Relais de Venise. http://www.relaisdevenise.com/newyork/ While this is not one of NY's great steakhouses, you do get a good steak, a salad and fries (and that's all you get, except dessert) for a reasonable (NY) price.

And this is a well regarded ramen place of E 52nd. http://hidechanramen.com