COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Siesta Key, Lido Key or Venice

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Siesta Key, Lido Key or Venice

Will be traveling to the west coast in Feb. for only a week. Haven't stayed in these areas......which would you recommend? Any beachfront hotel suggestions?
Deborah
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:47 AM

Regardless how old you are, stay away from Venice. Not very exciting.

I live on Siesta Key, and to me it's the best. Lido Key is acceptable.

Why don't you tell us your ages, if there are kids involved, what you like to do, etc...etc...

Remember, that February will be considered part of the peak season, so your lodging will be on an expensive side, and in some cases, hard to come by, so book early.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM

I grew up in Venice and second AAfrequentFlyer's advice. Sarasota has beautiful beaches.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks AA and Wed. My husband and I are over 50, traveling without kids. I think we'll try Siesta Key after all I've read.......how is the Best Western.....we are only staying 2 nights then on to Delray Beach.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM

My sister stayed at the Best Western in Siesta Key and said it was fine. It is just across the street from the beach and close to shops and restaurants in Siesta Village. I stayed in a condo just in back of it and loved the location.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Since you're only staying 2 days, BW is fine. The location can't be beat. You're in the village, with restaurants, bars, shops(the usual tourist stuff, not very exciting, with couple of exceptions). If I may, I would like to recommend Maximo's for dinner one evening. There is also a great Japanese/sushi place, but I can't remember their name right now. Most of the other restaurants in the village are the average seafood/hamburger/Italian spots. Not bad, but not exactly the best either. About 2 miles south of the village there is Summerhouse, for great service, beautiful place and outstanding food. Another 2 miles south of that, is a fun place with great Mediterranean/middle eastern food, live jazz/reggae music on different evenings, Fandango.
There are some great restaurants in Sarasota, but you're only here for 2 days, so stay on the island this time.

Our beautiful beach is across the street from BW. I live about 2 blocks away from BW, so maybe we will cross paths.

Have a great trip!