Reload this Page >

Longboat Key - What's it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Orla

Looking for any heplful suggestions. Planning a trip to Sarasota in May, have been before and have stayed in 'The Half Moon Beach Club' on Lido, we were thinking of staying on Longboat this time, is this a good idea? And have any of you, any suggestions of nice places to stay. Decent accomodation, preferably a small to medium sized hotel, and not more than about $150 per night? Thanks in advance!!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Bill

Longboat Key very upscale. May I suggest you do a search on Florida within Travel Talk for previous postings and accomodation recommendations for Longboat Key.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Postal

I love Longboat Key, especially staying at the Colony Beach and Tennis Resort. But I'm not sure $150 or less is an option.

There's a nice Hilton on the beach you might want to check out.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Linda

Long Boat Key is a beautiful place to vacation. I have been there a number of times and I love staying at the Long Boat Key Cluexpensive). However, Long Boat Key in generaly is not a place where it is easy to economize - very pricey. But worth it if you decide to spend a bit more. Further up the Key going north are some places (names I don't know - sorry -) but they definitely look less expensive than the places further south on the Key. (Some of these places don't look particularly appeling from the outside, so do your research.)This is not the prettiest part of the Key but you are technically still on it and next to the ocean.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM
lib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a 2nd home in Sarasota; I personally prefer Siesta Key over Longboat or Lido, because of the beaches and more relaxed atmosphere, but good sources for accommodations for all areas are the Sarasota and Siesta Key Chambers of Commerce sites; also the private accommodation sites, such as:

http://vrbo.com

http://cyberrentals.com

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Compared to Lido, you will find Longboat an enclave of gated resort communities, walled properties, much less in the way commercial areas with restaurants or shops. If you have buckets of money, find it pleasurable to be surrounded by others with money, don't mind driving a ways (and maybe dressing up) to go to dinner or else being limited to your own community, you will find it enjoyable, esp. for the lack of traffic, commerce, etc. No bargains out there at all.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Orla, Friends of mine are right now at the Hilton in Long Boat Key for the first time. They love it. They say it's not a typical big Hilton (they estimate about 70 rooms). Their room is around $189 for a very spacious double with 2 queen beds. It does sound like you have to drive to Sarasota (not far) for movies etc. They like the idea of staying in a quieter area but having the option of more activity by going across to Sarasota. Hope this helps you decide.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 09:21 AM

you might consider Anna Maria Island or Holmes Beach(Bradenton area)...there is an Econlodge on Gulf Drive(make sure it`s not the other one in Bradenton) in Holmes Beach..try Duffy`s and the SandBar rest.----
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Longboat Key is our vacation paradise. We have visited in May past 17 years and love it there. Try the Beachcomber at 2721 Gulf Of Mexico Drive 941-383-1083 [email protected] Central location, across from shopping, 2 bedrooms on Gulf side. 40 units. Warm & friendly place. Can you tll we love it by our name?