Snorkeling in the Keys

Search

Snorkeling in the Keys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in the Keys

Looking for a resort or villa w/pool, nice beach,snorkeling and water sports. Traveling with my husband and 2 boys-15y & 10y. (In late August)Mostly interested in the snorkeling but which Key(if any) is best?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM

We stayed at Hawks Cay years ago and really liked it. It is on Duck Key and I think near mile marker 60. They offer many types of accomodations including villas.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM

The best snorkelling is at Looe Key (Big Pine Key, mm 29, which means it is 29 miles from Key West). But I would not want to stay in that area. I would pick someplace in Islamorada (mile marker 85-ish) and take a day trip to Looe Key. There is also good snorkelling in the Islamorada and nearby Key Largo area. There aren't really beaches in the Keys, other than Bahia Honda - easy to combine with a day trip to Looe Key. Take a look at the Key Largo Sheraton or Cheeca Lodge. You might want to rent a condo thru vrbo.com. You can also find the water sports elsewhere. August is a great month becuase the water is so warm and (unless there is a hurricane!) it's not very windy.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Keymom - We have campground reservations on Big Pine Key next month for a few days. I'm curious why you would not want to stay in that area. Could someone comment on this? I've never been to the Keys and thought it looked like a central place to stay to explore Key West, Bahia Honda, and perhaps snorkle at Looe Key.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I prefer more restaurants, nicer accommodations than are available in Big Pine Key. But that doesn't mean it's not perfect for other people. You are right that it is convenient to Bahia Honda and Looe Key (which you should not miss unless it is windy). It's a 30 mile drive to Key West - which is going to take more than 30 minutes. But depending on where you are from, that may not seem too far. BPK is a warm, laid back, peaceful place. You can absolutely have a good time there.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM

When my kids were pre-teens, they loved to stay on Big Pine Key because it was a short drive to Key West yet was still woodsy and laid back. They loved No Name Pub for pizza, Big Pine Diner, and seeing the Key deer all over the place.

We always rented a house on a canal for the week and the canal was our swimming pool. Snorkeling right in the back yard!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Keymom, Postal...thanks very much for your replies. BPK sounds like it's just what we are looking for. We are really looking forward to this first trip to Keys and Everglades!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM

We stayed at Key Largo Marriott last year and it was quite good. The snorkeling in John Pennekamp State Park is very good. We used Keys Divers as our snorkel trip provider and they are excellent - the most professional operater that we have ever snorkeled with and we have snorkeled all over Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii. Pennekamp is a large state park in the waters off the Atlantic side of Key Largo and the fish are abundant. There is also one area where Florida has "seeded" a large conch field and it is interesting seeing the live conch moving across the ocean floor. As you probably know conch have been pretty much harvested to extinction in US waters so this is an effort to replenish them. Since conch are protected species in US waters now this should work.

We will be snorkeling in the Key West and Marathon areas of the Keys in June so will report on that later. Have fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM

we have snorkeled in Key West on the Floridays - I believe they leave from the Hyatt. Most of the time, the snorkeling is great. Once or twice, it wasn't, but that was due to weather. Also, your boys might like the Sunset gathering in Key West - performers, animals, general fun
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM

I camped one night on BPK and the no-seeums ate me alive but spared both my husband and son. I looked like I'd been in a prickly pear patch and neither of my guys had a bite on them. And I think it was August -- so bring your bug stuff. And it is going to be god-awful hot in mid-august. Some places used to close down there for August.