Dive Key West

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dive Key West

Any suggestions for a good dive shop in Key West? We are certified, but only had one open water dive (in a quarry), so we are leery of the deep wreck dives.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:02 PM

I dove for years with Captain's Corner Dive Shop and I still recommend them highly. However, I do not recommend diving in the Key West area anymore as most of the previously gorgeous coral is now dead. If you can swing it, by all means dive on Looe Key, which can be accessed by boat from Big Pine Key or Little Torch Key. Depths can be 25' or more than 70' and it's all beautiful. I have been pleased with Looe Key Resort's diving boats (which is located at about mile marker 29), but I've never had a bad experience with anyone in that area.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice! Not to be dense, but what do you mean by "if you can swing it"? Do you mean money-wise, or time-wise, etc? We are renting a car and the $$ is not really an issue, any preferences on dive shops in Looe Key?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Don't listen to Postal. She never has a good thing to say about the reef off of Key West. Yes, it is dying but it is also dying in other parts of the reef. Its part of life. "Most of the gorgeous coral" is not dead off of Key West.

I have had bad dives all over the Keys but have always enjoyed the ones off of Key West. They are not too deep usually and very simple and relaxing. We have used Sub-Tropic Divers and South Point Divers out of Key West. Both were great. In the middle Keys we used Innerspace and Looe Key. Both again were great. There are some great wreck dives (not all are in deep water) in the middle to upper keys if that is something that is interesting to you.

You will also want to check with whatever company you choose to see what their requirements are. If you haven't done a dive in a while you might need a refresher course. Have a great time.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

What about Key West Diving Society? The others mentioned all do the morning trips to the deep wrecks, we'd like to do morning and stay to the more shallow wrecks...anyone have or heard of experiences w/ this shop?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Coral Reef Park on Key Largo offers excellent diving with great instructors and service.

I would avoid Subtropic Divers on Key West at all costs. I recently went on a dive with that company (the company was recommended by my hotel) and found the staff to be rude and unaccomodating. They basically take you out to the dive sites and let you go with very little description of the sites. I have been diving all over the world for over 10 years and have rarely found a dive shop to offer such poor service and rude employees.

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:44 AM

I just got back from Key West; I'm not a diver, but if you get the chance take the boat out to the Dry Tortugas - it's really awesome & some great snorkeling; breakfast & lunch included! Go with Sunny Days tours. Have fun!