Fishing in Islamorada or Key West?

Old May 21st, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing in Islamorada or Key West?

Hi,
I've been reading that Islamorada is referred to as the "Sport Fishing Capital of the World". Do you think this is true? Is the sport fishing here much better than compared to Key West? I am leaning towards staying at Key West only because it's much more convenient for me to fly into EYW. But if the fishing there is NOT that good then it might be worth it for me to drive to Islamorada.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM
GoTravel

I have been fishing in Islamorada for the past 15 years and have not fished in Key West. I think the big difference is that businesses are more centered on fishing in Islamorada than they are in Key West. Key West is more geared for entertainment.

Old May 21st, 2003, 11:25 AM

My husband has fished out of Key West and has always been successful. There are lots of boats to pick from so just ask around.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM

Hi: The first time I ever went sport fishing was in the keys and I did it in two places Islamorada and one on one on the Marathon Bridge.

The half day boat excursion was crazy. Everyone one the boat was made aware that this was my first time out, so I was the one given the live bait. I caught a slew of fish and love the pictures of me at the dock proudly holding my days catch.

Key west is good for snorkeling and doing the town (sunset especially). But I wouldn't really concentrate on fishing there.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:33 PM

never fished in islamorada, but did go fishing from key west. best fishing trip ever!!!! "THE LUCKY FLEET" the captain was great and the deck hand was awesome, not only did they know their stuff, but had a great since of humor and was Fun!! good luck
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Islamorda is better geared for fishing, but if flying in is the snag, you could fly into Marathon Airport which is just south of Islamorada.
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM

The fishing is great in both places but that's where the similarity ends. Key West is a city with lots of night life. Islamorada is a small town in the most beautiful part of the Keys. If you love fishing, read Fish Fights by Bob Rich. He lives in Islamorada. Then check out Cheeca Lodge and Spa - it's right in the middle of Islamorada on the ocean side.